Up in the Air - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up in the Air Reviews

½ April 25, 2018
Let me first off say that this movie is not bad just not my kind of movie. The story is bland, some of the scenes are very uneventful, and the main characters job just feels heartless and pointless. One of my biggest problems with this movie is Anna Kendrick's character, she is just annoying and complains about everything. The redeeming qualities about this movie are George Clooney is absolutely amazing and super entertaining, and the last 15 minuets of this movie are absolutely amazing. I really like it when a movie changes up the formula of a story in a shocking way for example Don Jon and this movie does it excellently with its love story. This is an enjoyable movie when you take away the bad but you definitely should check other films out like 50/50 instead of this one.
½ April 16, 2018
A man who's found comfort in solitary life "in the air", finds himself confronted by two women (one professional, the other private) and walks the edge of an existential crisis.
Not a bad story, certainly providing food for thought, andit's all well portrayed, but the ending leaves you dissatisfied as it's neither happy nor sad...
April 7, 2018
A playboy meets a woman that makes him want to settle down only to discover that that's not her plan. Clooney is great, as are the female leads.
April 6, 2018
Up in the Air was FANTASTIC! One of Clooney's best performances and one of the year's best films. I highly recommend it. Opens wide Dec. 25.
½ April 3, 2018
Strengths: George Clooney (Ryan Bingham) is one of the finer actors in Hollywood and this could possibly be the best performance of his storied career. He's the right blend of suave and sympathetic, which is not easy to do. His on-screen chemistry with both Vera Farmiga (Alex Goran) and Anna Kendrick (Natalie Keener) was spectacular. The stuff with he and Kendrick was the highlight of the film. It was here that Kendrick truly announced herself to the world as a seriously good actress. The writing is masterful, with a script that delivers the right twists and sets up some great moments of conflict. They lay things out very well and every scene feels like it matters. The party the three leads attend is one of the better scenes and a nice change of pace from everything else going on. The film does a great job playing into the debate of whether it's better to have messy love or a successful career in your life. The director, Jason Reitman, does a great job in making a film with no special effects look great.

Weaknesses: Parts of this movie move at a relatively slow pace. If you're here for fast stuff filled with some action, this isn't the film for you. Some of the lesser roles were portrayed by people who kind of stick out like sore thumbs. Zach Galifianakis (Steve), JK Simmons (Bob), and Danny McBride (Jim) are the kind of people who feel more like the actors than the characters they play. The one actor who didn't really click for me in this one was Jason Bateman (Craig Gregory).

Overall: A tremendous movie led by some charming performances from Clooney, Kendrick, and Farmiga. The direction is top notch, the script is fantastic, and almost everything about this film comes together in the best possible way.
½ March 31, 2018
As entertaining as a delayed flight, so so bad
½ March 30, 2018
Up In the Air is simultaneously quirky dromedy and razor-sharp satire. While these two tones don't clash in an obnoxious way, it probably explains my lack of emotional investment.
½ March 29, 2018
When watching "Up in the Air," I thought I knew exactly how it was going to play out. The movie surprised me with some effective realism in its final act. This is a down to earth movie that balances drama, comedy, and romance very well. It also showcases some very good and genuine performances all around. The movie does have a realisticáfeel and at times the plot can be uneventful and start to drag. There are quite a few themes that will pertain to anyone in the workforce and I found it pretty compelling. Overall, it is a well acted, well-written movie that is grounded in reality, sweet, and pretty hard hitting by the time it wraps up.
March 26, 2018
Though I greatly enjoyed the performances, the script, and the execution, I couldn't quite get past the feeling that not much happened in the film. Clooney's character faces many developments, but ends up sort of stagnating, though with possibly a new outlook on life. A wonderful Netflix watch though.
½ March 23, 2018
Had George Clooney not starred in this movie, I could not have made it to the end. Rotten subject matter, a real downer.
½ March 20, 2018
Some outstanding performances highlight a movie that is carried by the presence of its star, George Clooney. The story zigs and zags, but just when it gains your trust it tells you to forget the premise and go on to another. Some say clever and others may call it maddening, but the real emotion should be somewhere in between. The reality is it's fine, a bit overrated for my taste, but such is life with movies of this type in this century. Final Score: 7.4/10
March 6, 2018
"Up in the Air", released in 2009, follows a man who lives his life being hired by companies to fire their employees. He relishes in his detached career, traveling the world until he meets a woman who can actually keep up with him, and a new coworker that may threaten the job he's come to know and love. The movie made me feel intrigued by the concept that it explores of whether it is better to have love and relationships, or live a life dictated by your career. It made me think that this is a concept often explored by individuals - most notably that the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. The story as a whole was wonderful. The writing was well done - very intricately and delicately setting up each moment of conflict and turn of events. I enjoyed that the cardboard cutout of the main character's sister and her fiancÚ was a recurring theme throughout the film. The acting was incredible, specifically that of Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick. Both expressed so much depth and subtlety to their characters that made the film so much more nuanced and enjoyable. Directed by Jason Reitman, the directing was fantastic. I enjoyed moments such as the beginning of the film that set up the environment that the story takes place in, only to button the end of it wrapping up those smaller characters' stories. The production value was also very high quality, and well done. Commercially, I feel that this film falls under the dramedy category, maybe leaning more to the drama side. The budget of the film was $30 million. The total domestic and foreign grosses were each $83 million.
February 16, 2018
It's a bad, ugly movie, but I can't give it any less than three stars. : / Sorey.
February 12, 2018
Actually indifferent, but apparently you can't just clear a selection on RT so this was least misleading.
November 16, 2017
A case for feelings, attachments, and friends, even through all the heartbreak and pain that comes along with them. It's rare to see a movie as warm and charming as this one.
½ October 1, 2017
This is a cool movie. It explores alternative lifestyle choices in relation to career, love, family, etc. George Clooney is brilliant as the man who disengages from life but thinks he's engaging with life, until he falls in love and his world is turned upside down. Great cast and great film.
August 1, 2017
predictable but good
July 13, 2017
Excellent. Lots of great characters, themes, and writing circling around and coming together wonderfully by the end. It's way better than Juno, which feels like a stepping stone by comparison.
½ July 7, 2017
Just as good now as it was then.
June 27, 2017
Reitman: Sharp and funny being poignant. God forbid we should go back to the time this flick was being developed & made, when America was great again. Having lived a lot of it, great Commentary. And a chop to the Adam's Apple twist. Good stuff. Not better than "Thank-you for Smoking," the benchmark, but terrific all the same - and with Vera Famiga, the best looking woman with a real daughter in college. Kendrick? A perfect fit for the Reitman franchises.