Up in the Air - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up in the Air Reviews

July 21, 2016
A "feels" dramedy. I honestly thought this movie was kinda dumb at first with cliches. Then it got better as it went along. Im glad that companies dont exist like the one shown in this movie, however there is firing consulting companies. I thought that company was so unethical in many ways and got worse at it went on. I think a lot of men esp older men unfort are sadly like clooney and dont know how to deal with emotional connecting and sharing. At a certain age not having any deep connections with someone whether it be family friends spouse, etc..is so unfortunate. At least by the end he had a break thru thanks partly to kendricks character. Kendrick did better with the comedy parts than serious acting parts; her character was harder to believe. I liked the directing and small independent production feel.
July 17, 2016
Did not see what all the fuss was about, found it quite slow and boring
July 16, 2016
With great heart and some solid perfomances, "Up in the Air" succeeded stablishing an emotional plot and exploring subjects like loneliness and love.
June 24, 2016
I really did not enjoy this movie. Anna was awkward as usual and George's character annoyed me. I hated the ending. Don't watch it.
May 28, 2016
A fantastic cast with a terrific script that is enhanced by good direction makes Up in the Air one of the few movies that invokes your emotions and effectively leaves you pondering long after the credits roll.
May 26, 2016
Love this movie - truly captures the Great Recession.
May 22, 2016
A forerunner for next year's Oscars. Though I still do not get a good feeling I will really like just by reading the synopsis.
May 14, 2016
awesome movie. One of my absolute favorites.
½ May 7, 2016
Occasionally cliched, but overall smooth, fresh and full of charisma.
½ April 25, 2016
Started so promising, about half way thru I just wanted it to end. Not as clever as it thought itself to be.
½ April 24, 2016
A landmark picture that captured the zeitgeist of a nation on the brink of financial destruction. Smart, poignant and original.
April 12, 2016
A movie perfectly made for George Clooney. A story about a lonely man in this lonely world, in search for the meaning of life. It is just an ordinary movie, however, each time I watch, I discovered new meaning in the movie. This movie is a story about life, and I believe that everyone of us can find part of ourselves inside the movie.

IMO, Up in the air is best among Jason Reitman movie, and best movie of year 2009 in my personal list.
½ April 11, 2016
Up in the Air blends everything toghether so well. The characters are great, the writing, the preformances and its message.
March 25, 2016
This film is a solid comedy-drama. The many comedic elements balance its overtone of depression due to self worth, unfulfillment and especially loneliness. Good and believable acting by Clooney as the protagonist. Not an overall deep plot and certainly not a "feel good" film. It is a good reminder to people that are lucky enough to have companionship, love and family in their lives, how important and cherished these things are.
½ March 22, 2016
"Up in the Air" is a solid American drama that is funnier and deeper than many of its Oscar-bait-y brethren. The junior Reitman takes aim at 21st century sensibilities, in which technology and progress overshadow human connection and sympathy. Despite some cornball moments towards the end, it's a great and lightly funny collection of dramatic odds (isolation in travel, sympathy through artifice, commitment versus self).
March 17, 2016
This is a thought provoking film about the corporate world some of us live in and some of the impersonal nature can possess. The movie has laughs and can be melancholy. I have been the person in the office with the exit packet; no real way to describe it; this movie does however. It ends with our protagonist showing he has a heart and longs for meaningful relationships in his life. Great film.
½ March 15, 2016
Great flick about a man who wants no roots and no complications, only to find that "complications" like home and family are ultimately necessary for happy, fulfilled life, but his life is permanently "Up in the Air."
March 13, 2016
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. One of the most disappointing, plotless movies I've ever seen. It's amazing the score is over 10%.
½ March 4, 2016
Pretty depressing, but great.
February 28, 2016
Commitment. Happiness. Travel. Sincerity. Still channelling the witty sentiment of Juno, Writer/Director Jason Reitman once again delivers another profoundly honesty and contextually poignant "dramedy" (drama/comedy), Up in the air.

Astutely adapted from Walter Kim's 2001 novel, the wonderfully topical and artfully crafted script richly echoes and punctuates the cruel human cost to the current economic climate. Sprinkling candid real-life testimonials of recession victims amongst a barrage of highly memorable sharp one-liners the magic of this smart, silky and sensitive film is its sense of classic old-Hollywood style.

Playfully edited and with breezy visuals this movie soars, producing the kind of polished vehicle that will, in all likeliness, make a clear sweep come Oscar season. Finally making it clear to see where his movie star aura ends and his true acting ability begins; George Clooney delivers an impeccable performance with genuine gravity.

"To know me is to fly with me. This is where I live."

Ryan Bingham (Clooney) a corporate downsizing specialist has his life just how he likes it. Accustomed to the efficiency and artificial friendliness of executive travel his cosily callous obsessive compulsive life of perpetual motion is a philosophical world filled with ritualistic packing, personalised automated check-ins and anonymous business class pampering.

Flitting from flyover Midwest City to City in pursuit of his personal goal to be only the 7th person to reach 10 million frequent flier miles, Brigham spends a total of 322 days travelling, merely tolerating the "43 miserable days at home" in his clinical Omaha apartment.

Thriving on the chaos of recession, Bingham business is to act as a silver-tongued hatchet man for bosses too gutless to fire there own employees.
Describing himself as a career transition counsellor, playing both executioner and therapist, Ryan believes he carries out this sad ritual of dismissal with a certain class, performing the brutal process in a way that "makes limbo tolerable" offering a positive spin.

Minimising the trauma, Bingham bestows redundant employees with the wisdom that "anyone who has ever done anything great, has been where you are now". Believing that if they embrace his self-serving wisdoms and motivational seminar analogy of a life without the backpack of personal baggage, their lives will be happier and simpler, just like his.

Sharing in his footloose and fancy-free, no-strings delusions, Bingham meets a similarly baggage-liberated frequent flier, the beguiling Alex (Vera Farmiga).

"Imagine me as you, but with a vagina" states the fellow cynic turned on by the elite status and etiquette of professional travel. The two, content to be casual, make dates around flight schedules in a tailor-made obligation-free affair.

However, when his unscrupulously cutthroat boss (Jason Bateman) is advised that dismissals made via webcam will save money and threatens to ground him on the tarmac, Bingham fights to stay in the air.

Agreeing to take fresh-faced efficiency whizz and smug idealist, Natalie (Anna Kendrick) on an eye-opening journey into his real world of firing, her na´ve concepts become less plausible and her overly confident personal resolve is fiercely shaken.

Meanwhile, Bingham's own carefully crafted immaculate GQ veneer and suave nonchalance begins to flail as he softens to the new world and women around him. Realising his emotionless control might just be an act, would his life in fact be richer with more than just his carry on?

Standing strong against Clooney's consuming on-screen charisma, Kendrick adds a wonderful core of touching insecurity to her prissy and light character, whilst Farmiga's lived-in-beauty is a classy delight. With fun cameo from Sam Elliot and an earnest appearance from J.K. Simmons, the acting is a very close second to the script.

The Verdict: Intelligent, eloquent and vulnerable, this film bucks Hollywood convention truthfully exhibiting flaws without apprehension. The sentiment that sometimes we need to drift freely for a while in order to find ourselves again is often sidelined for a neatly packaged happy ending. It's nice to see again that life isn't always that simple.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age