The Usual Suspects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Usual Suspects Reviews

½ February 11, 2018
This is The Usual Suspects, a mystery crime neo-noir film directed by Bryan Singer who directed the X-Men films and has a good cast like Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Kevin Pollak, Kevin Spacey, Chazz Palminteri and Pete Postlethwaite. This movie follows on five usual suspects who are arrested for a trumped up charge on hijacked truck with guns. And wouldn't you know it? A mysterious crime lord who is Turkish named Keyser Söze which I will not give information about that character. One of my favourite scenes from this movie is when those five criminals get arrested they have to say the tagline they've been given called "Hand me the keys, you f£$king c**ksucker." This is the memorable line in the entire film.

Todd Hockney: "Hand me the keys, you f£$king c**ksucker."
Michael McManus: "Give me the f£$king keys, you f£$king c**ksucker, motherf£$ker..."
Fred Fenster: "Hand me the keys, you c**ksucker." Hand me the f£$king keys, you c**ksucker. What the f£$k?"
Dean Keaton: "Hand me the keys, you f£$king c**ksucker."
Verbal Kint: "Hand me the keys, you f£$king c**ksucker."

The characters what I get into is the one I love is The Usual Suspects and the only one I got into is Michael McManus played by Stephen Baldwin. Why is that? Well, he's hilariously cocky and smart mouthed and he says the tagline which I really love and I kinda laughed and chuckled at is my favourite line and that is, "Give me the f£$king keys, you f£$king c**ksucker, motherf£$ker..." and he does gets a good line. I guess the only factor here is that Kevin Spacey did a great performance as Verbal Kint and yes, he won an Oscar for that and he in the interrogation with Dave Kujan who asks Kint questions about Keyser Söze, the dope on the boat and Dean Keaton. I once watched it just to concentrate on Kevin's performance through the entire film. Well, of course everybody remembers the most is the ending. It really adds a twist that who is the real Keyser Söze and the fact that everyone believed it, it really is Keyser Söze. Okay, now this is an thrill ride experience of The Usual Suspects. Best film of the year hands down. Great writing, great directing, great pacing, great characters, great editing and one great twist ending. This is a fantastic film. I really enjoyed this.
½ January 17, 2018
Great movie with superb acting and a brilliant twist at the end
January 16, 2018
What a great crime movies I've ever seen. A masterpiece who won an Oscar because of Kevin Spacey's role as a supporting character and Christopher McQuarrie who wrote the script, I don't know why he can be so smart as to write a story that makes me shiver. This is a thriller movie that makes some people get bored while watching it but its punchline will focus on a plot-twist that amazes us.
December 7, 2017
Palpable tension with an ending that will leave you breathless
½ November 12, 2017
Kevin Spacey delivers a outstanding performance as Verbal Kint and is backed by memorable performances from the rest of the gang. Delivers one of the greatest plot twists in cinematic history.
October 11, 2017
Other then Se7en, this is my favorite non nerdy movie
½ October 11, 2017
Easily one of, if not the, best crime drama of all time. Everything about it is just so great: the plot, the characters, the sequences, the dialogue, the music, this film just nails it. Could've toned down the language though.
September 27, 2017
Frankly I had a real hard time following the plot or caring.
½ September 16, 2017
some stupid parts, some bad acting, and a bit outdated. this is a cool idea for a movie. (2 viewing)

SPOILERS

i watched this when it first came out, before i was ready to. and all i remember is the ending. i feel like that was the primary driver for this movie so knowing it took a lot away from enjoying a movie that i felt like i was watching for the first time. i gave it a half star bump up for that
½ September 9, 2017
Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze -- wow, I didn't see that coming. He was just spinning a yarn for the dumb cop who thought he was smart. This is Bryan Singer's only good film (that I've seen -- all the X-men movies weren't so good). Great crime movie.
½ September 9, 2017
I see that, after my first viewing, I have this rated 8.9. On review, I have to come down a chunk. It's a fun movie but it's too cockamamie and contrived for an 8.9. Oh, say, 7.4
September 2, 2017
Often copied and rarely matched, it's impossible to describe the brilliance of The Usual Suspects
August 21, 2017
This movie suffers from a major flaw and its flaw is something that won't be unnoticed. It only is a flaw if you watch the movie after years of its release. There is only one big name in this movie and it is Kevin Spacey. Anyone who can do the math knows what to expect. But still all the twists and turns this movie contains still make for an enjoyable and fun ride. The end result is pleasing, and it shows that no matter that the movie is nothing more than it seems, it's done right with the required attention.
August 17, 2017
Energetic screenplay, fine direction, and very memorable characters, but watching it again made me feel the twists weren't really developed just dropped on me, which is disappointing but not too bad, still a must-see.
August 8, 2017
For its time, the plot twist is very original and very creative. The cast is perfect, the characters are all fleshed out, and the story is just really fun and mind-boggling. And of course, Kevin Spacey is the best.
½ August 3, 2017
'The Usual Suspects' is that slow burner that at a first glance is a slow and almost boring film -- but that after a while expands into this cleverly written thriller that takes unexpected turns. It's a story of much complexity with a lot of dialogue. This, in combination with the big lack of character depth might seem like a big flaw, but the 3rd act explains a lot of this and it does weigh more than the film's cons -- for some people. I loved the ending but found most of the 1st and 2nd act slow and uneventful. The third act made the whole flick superbly better, mostly thanks to the film's mysterious antagonist, the powerful direction by Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey's performance as the character 'Verbal'. It's one great and dramatic thriller, but that might be a bit too slow for my taste.

Personal rating: 72/100
Critical rating: 80/100
July 17, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Kevin spaces and directed by the director of the X-Men series. This movie has everything, it has action, drama, comedy, it has everything. What the main reason is for this movie being awesome is the ending, the ending will be memorable and I will never forget it, I will watch this movie again.
June 25, 2017
Mystery for the sake of suspense, but really has no depth to the plot. Acting was good but with such a meaningless story does not really rate anywhere near what the devil has convinced people to believe!!
June 5, 2017
Clever film about a group of US criminals from 1995.
I say clever in that the screenplay is so good.
If you have the opportunity I would recommend a repeat viewing a day or two after.
I did and you spot so many little details and twists that after a sole viewing you might miss.
The premise is quite simple really. A group of 'suspects' are arrested by the New York Police Department on pretty dubious information regarding a stolen truck and end up in the notorious identity parade.
Back in a holding cell the group of 5 hatch a plan for further criminal activity to get one over the NYPD.
All the story is told from the interrogation of one of the suspects Roger 'Verbal' Kint (Kevin Spacey).
The identity of a mysterious boss Keyser Söse becomes a main plot thread throughout.
The cast includes Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin and a young Benicio Del Toro.
The film oozes quality and was deserving of its box office success back in 1995.
June 4, 2017
Stop. Do not read any more reviews. Ask yourself this question, are you a fan of noir crime stories? If yes then this is a story that should satisfy you, just go watch it and do not let a review ruin it for you.

If that is not a style of film you enjoy then keep reading everyone's take, but be forewarned the more you read about what other people think of this movie the less likely you are to enjoy it yourself.