The Usual Suspects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Usual Suspects Reviews

½ September 16, 2017
some stupid parts, some bad acting, and a bit outdated. this is a cool idea for a movie. (2 viewing)

SPOILERS

i watched this when it first came out, before i was ready to. and all i remember is the ending. i feel like that was the primary driver for this movie so knowing it took a lot away from enjoying a movie that i felt like i was watching for the first time. i gave it a half star bump up for that
½ September 9, 2017
Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze -- wow, I didn't see that coming. He was just spinning a yarn for the dumb cop who thought he was smart. This is Bryan Singer's only good film (that I've seen -- all the X-men movies weren't so good). Great crime movie.
½ September 9, 2017
I see that, after my first viewing, I have this rated 8.9. On review, I have to come down a chunk. It's a fun movie but it's too cockamamie and contrived for an 8.9. Oh, say, 7.4
September 2, 2017
Often copied and rarely matched, it's impossible to describe the brilliance of The Usual Suspects
August 21, 2017
This movie suffers from a major flaw and its flaw is something that won't be unnoticed. It only is a flaw if you watch the movie after years of its release. There is only one big name in this movie and it is Kevin Spacey. Anyone who can do the math knows what to expect. But still all the twists and turns this movie contains still make for an enjoyable and fun ride. The end result is pleasing, and it shows that no matter that the movie is nothing more than it seems, it's done right with the required attention.
August 17, 2017
Energetic screenplay, fine direction, and very memorable characters, but watching it again made me feel the twists weren't really developed just dropped on me, which is disappointing but not too bad, still a must-see.
August 8, 2017
For its time, the plot twist is very original and very creative. The cast is perfect, the characters are all fleshed out, and the story is just really fun and mind-boggling. And of course, Kevin Spacey is the best.
½ August 3, 2017
'The Usual Suspects' is that slow burner that at a first glance is a slow and almost boring film -- but that after a while expands into this cleverly written thriller that takes unexpected turns. It's a story of much complexity with a lot of dialogue. This, in combination with the big lack of character depth might seem like a big flaw, but the 3rd act explains a lot of this and it does weigh more than the film's cons -- for some people. I loved the ending but found most of the 1st and 2nd act slow and uneventful. The third act made the whole flick superbly better, mostly thanks to the film's mysterious antagonist, the powerful direction by Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey's performance as the character 'Verbal'. It's one great and dramatic thriller, but that might be a bit too slow for my taste.

Personal rating: 72/100
Critical rating: 80/100
July 17, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Kevin spaces and directed by the director of the X-Men series. This movie has everything, it has action, drama, comedy, it has everything. What the main reason is for this movie being awesome is the ending, the ending will be memorable and I will never forget it, I will watch this movie again.
June 25, 2017
Mystery for the sake of suspense, but really has no depth to the plot. Acting was good but with such a meaningless story does not really rate anywhere near what the devil has convinced people to believe!!
June 5, 2017
Clever film about a group of US criminals from 1995.
I say clever in that the screenplay is so good.
If you have the opportunity I would recommend a repeat viewing a day or two after.
I did and you spot so many little details and twists that after a sole viewing you might miss.
The premise is quite simple really. A group of 'suspects' are arrested by the New York Police Department on pretty dubious information regarding a stolen truck and end up in the notorious identity parade.
Back in a holding cell the group of 5 hatch a plan for further criminal activity to get one over the NYPD.
All the story is told from the interrogation of one of the suspects Roger 'Verbal' Kint (Kevin Spacey).
The identity of a mysterious boss Keyser Söse becomes a main plot thread throughout.
The cast includes Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin and a young Benicio Del Toro.
The film oozes quality and was deserving of its box office success back in 1995.
June 4, 2017
Stop. Do not read any more reviews. Ask yourself this question, are you a fan of noir crime stories? If yes then this is a story that should satisfy you, just go watch it and do not let a review ruin it for you.

If that is not a style of film you enjoy then keep reading everyone's take, but be forewarned the more you read about what other people think of this movie the less likely you are to enjoy it yourself.
½ May 30, 2017
Has to be watched more than once to fully understand it. Classic on screen moments and hasn't dated.
May 23, 2017
Very good movie, fun and suspenseful.
May 21, 2017
While it may seem like a basic "Who-Done-It", The Usual Suspects holds more to it than just the result. It makes you have to watch the movie a second time.
May 19, 2017
In my opinion this is the best movie ever. This movie is complex, witty, and intelligent. Greta movie makers say "if the audience needs to trust you and pay real close attention to the movie, make sure you reward them." Director Bryan Singer and writer Christopher McQuire definitely do that. The movie is fairly entertaining for the first hour thirty. Although it is hard to follow, the amazing lines keep us watching. But in the last 10 minutes, everything changes. Just when you think everything was solved, the movie awards you for watching it.
May 13, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. Full of twists (not to mention the big one) and well developed characters. Exciting to watch and gripping at every turn.
May 4, 2017
Confusing and not particularly compelling. Bryan Singer has pulled quite a trick himself in passing this off as entertainment. (First and only viewing - Late teen years)
May 3, 2017
The Usual Suspects is an absorbing thriller with an excellent Kevin Spacey performance.
May 2, 2017
Top of the list, awesome!!!!