The Usual Suspects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Usual Suspects Reviews

July 17, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Kevin spaces and directed by the director of the X-Men series. This movie has everything, it has action, drama, comedy, it has everything. What the main reason is for this movie being awesome is the ending, the ending will be memorable and I will never forget it, I will watch this movie again.
June 25, 2017
Mystery for the sake of suspense, but really has no depth to the plot. Acting was good but with such a meaningless story does not really rate anywhere near what the devil has convinced people to believe!!
June 5, 2017
Clever film about a group of US criminals from 1995.
I say clever in that the screenplay is so good.
If you have the opportunity I would recommend a repeat viewing a day or two after.
I did and you spot so many little details and twists that after a sole viewing you might miss.
The premise is quite simple really. A group of 'suspects' are arrested by the New York Police Department on pretty dubious information regarding a stolen truck and end up in the notorious identity parade.
Back in a holding cell the group of 5 hatch a plan for further criminal activity to get one over the NYPD.
All the story is told from the interrogation of one of the suspects Roger 'Verbal' Kint (Kevin Spacey).
The identity of a mysterious boss Keyser Söse becomes a main plot thread throughout.
The cast includes Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin and a young Benicio Del Toro.
The film oozes quality and was deserving of its box office success back in 1995.
June 4, 2017
Stop. Do not read any more reviews. Ask yourself this question, are you a fan of noir crime stories? If yes then this is a story that should satisfy you, just go watch it and do not let a review ruin it for you.

If that is not a style of film you enjoy then keep reading everyone's take, but be forewarned the more you read about what other people think of this movie the less likely you are to enjoy it yourself.
½ May 30, 2017
Has to be watched more than once to fully understand it. Classic on screen moments and hasn't dated.
May 23, 2017
Very good movie, fun and suspenseful.
May 21, 2017
While it may seem like a basic "Who-Done-It", The Usual Suspects holds more to it than just the result. It makes you have to watch the movie a second time.
May 19, 2017
In my opinion this is the best movie ever. This movie is complex, witty, and intelligent. Greta movie makers say "if the audience needs to trust you and pay real close attention to the movie, make sure you reward them." Director Bryan Singer and writer Christopher McQuire definitely do that. The movie is fairly entertaining for the first hour thirty. Although it is hard to follow, the amazing lines keep us watching. But in the last 10 minutes, everything changes. Just when you think everything was solved, the movie awards you for watching it.
May 13, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. Full of twists (not to mention the big one) and well developed characters. Exciting to watch and gripping at every turn.
May 4, 2017
Confusing and not particularly compelling. Bryan Singer has pulled quite a trick himself in passing this off as entertainment. (First and only viewing - Late teen years)
May 3, 2017
The Usual Suspects is an absorbing thriller with an excellent Kevin Spacey performance.
May 2, 2017
Top of the list, awesome!!!!
½ April 16, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 4 | Acting 4 | Cinematography 4 | Film Editing 4

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 3 | Scenic Design 3 | Lighting 3 | Visual Effects 3

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 4 | Sound Editing & Mixing 4

#Overall (1~10): 7
April 10, 2017
This was a film that I had such fond memories of that I had somehow convinced myself I owned it on DVD, a pipe dream that came falling down about a week or two ago when I went to grab it for a late night revisit and realized I must have been thinking about The Way Of The Gun.

Happily, I was able to grab this one up on a cheap Blu-ray and give it another day in court, and I have to say, ti holds up amazingly well. Solid performances from all involved and a nice little twist to make you look at the entire film in a different way as the credits roll.

Recommended.
April 4, 2017
This is a very entertaining and well-thought out crime drama with a great plot twist.

After a massive explosion on a ship leaves 27 dead, a police officer brings in the only suspect and begins interrogating him.

Despite only having a 6 million dollar budget, this movie looks and feels better than most movies with much bigger budgets. This movie has an amazing cast (especially Kevin Spacey) and amazing plotting which keeps you guessing as more and more plot points appear.

It's ending will knock you out cold. Some people said that they were able to predict it but that's only 1/2 of the plot twist. The other half of it was the fact that Verbal was reading off the bulletin board.

However near the middle, the movie can get boring. Not much exciting events happens in it and it is slower than the rest of the film.

Still this movie is pretty great. It has a cool plot twist and the movie leaves room for re-watching it. Overall, it's a pretty well- done crime drama.
April 1, 2017
What can I say? This is an extremely complex, terrifying whodunnit that you need to be extremely sophisticated to see and watch several times before you finally understand everything that's going on. Kevin Spacey is absolutely masterful in his performance. You still won't believe anything that goes on even after watching it more than once. And the ending is one of the biggest twists in movie history, it will surprise you even if you know what happens. I don't get scared by movies, but this effectively terrified me, even after watching it a second time. Recommended for anyone sophisticated film lovers, unless you are scared by anything or don't like hearing constant profanity.
½ March 26, 2017
now this is how you make a great movie!!
March 26, 2017
A ship explodes into the night, and a mystery of murder, a heist gone wrong, and a criminal mastermind is launched. "Verbal" Knit (Kevin Spacey) is being interrogated by Police detective Dave Kujan (Chazz Palminteri) about a robbery in Queens that led to five men into a jewel heist gone wrong, and finally to be caught into the intricate web of a criminal mastermind, Keyser Soze. As the story unfurls, layer after layer of lies are unveiled, until the final deception is ultimately sprung on the viewer him or herself. Riveting.
March 15, 2017
my favorite movie of all time
½ March 15, 2017
Finally saw whole thing thru on tv, 3-2017. Surprised young Stephen Baldwin actually very good. Star cast. Spoiler: surprise twist ending.