Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Reviews

• 20h ago

Loved it. Told my husband it reminded me of fifth element and then found out the same people did it. My whole family loves it. Wish people would watch it so they'd realize how good it is and we could have some sequels.

• 3d ago

Good spiritual successor to the Fifth Element. Suffers from dialogue and casting issues. Dane DeHaan isn't my first choice, or second, or even fifth to play Valerian. He's miscast and it shows. The rest of the film though really feels great.

• 5d ago

Story is meaningless. But This has Beautiful and perfect sea.

Story is meaningless. But This has Beautiful and perfect sea.

• Sep 02, 2019

I am not sure why this movie didn't do better. The story was good, action and special effects well done.

• Sep 01, 2019

Fun space adventure movie, similar to Fifth Element (as many of the same team). Visually interesting, some what jarring opening sequence that would easily derail critics. Worth time for those that like goofy space action.

• Aug 23, 2019

The world building, visuals, and action scenes (basically the first half of the movie) are 5/5. But then there's the writing. Most of the characters are just not very likable, and the plot and story are problematic. The movie brings up some big topics as if it's going to address them (genecide, human trafficking, forgiveness, love) but only gives trite, meaningless answers that are ultimately insulting to the subject matter. So, if you can turn off your brain, you'll have a lot of fun watching this movie. If not, then skip it.

• Aug 16, 2019

It's probably exactly what you'd expect: beautiful visuals but a nonsense plot.

It's probably exactly what you'd expect: beautiful visuals but a nonsense plot.

• Aug 16, 2019

pretty good solid movie... good plot, good action, good effects.... I enjoyed it

• Aug 14, 2019

Hoping to become a new franchise this film fails on so many levels but doesd it spectacularly. Its such an odd film, so beautiful to look at. The effort is there i just feel like it was misguided. The visuals are spectacular and a real cinematic achievement but its poor story telling and some downright awful acting is its downfall. Actor Dane DeHaan is miscast as the films main protagonist Valerian. He lacks the charm and charisma his charecter is suppose to be portraying. He does not pull off this suave ladies man at all, although not all the blame can be put on him, the scripts awful and awkward dialogue does him no favors. Model turned actress Cara Delevigne doesn't fair any better starring alongside DeHaan, they lack the chemistry to care about the will they won't they get together drama in this movie. The movie has pacing problems and and feels overstuffed. Too many subplots derail the film from getting any kind of momentum. The first hour and 20 minutes of the film drag and some moments were almost unbearable to watch. I cant recall a film as polarizing as this. Some of the worst moments of the year in any film but also few great moments too. Its action is big and loud but at the end of the day it holds no weight because you dont care about the charecters. There were ingredients in there that could have made the movie really good and i wont lie its final act redeems itself a little bit. Its totally cheesy and campy but becomes a little fun to watch. I cant believe I'm saying this but Rhianna is the best part of this movie lol and she helped shift the film into it being watchable. The film doesn't equal the sum of its parts which is a shame because their is alot of talent in this film and should have been better. The visuals are stunning but its not enough to overcome its faults. Overall ill give it a 2 out of 5

• Aug 14, 2019

This movie was completely terrible. It was literally! Literally murdering me while I Was watching it. This film better be discontinued from circulation!!! I'm even skeptical for a reboot of this film because of how bad and life threatening it put me through!