Vanilla Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanilla Sky Reviews

April 11, 2017
Starts out as a tender and beautiful love story between David (Tom Cruise) and Sophia (Penelope Cruz), with some added drama from Julianna (Cameron Diaz). Then it gets very complicated and convoluted, blurring lines between reality and fantasy.
April 9, 2017
Potentially a great movie but lacks cohesion and real feelings. Was intrigued where story would lead but characterisation was confusing. Didn't finish.
½ April 5, 2017
I love the unique style and background Cameron Crowe brings to his films. It's like an unexpected mixture of juvenile wonder and adult innocence that appeals to me about his films. Vanilla Sky is by far his darkest feature, but also the one with the least amount of heart and pizazz. In fact, most of it is just a dull mess.

Vanilla Sky is an American remake of the 1997 Spanish film, Open Your Eyes. While I haven't seen that film yet, I can imagine it's probably a little more coherent. The remake poses some thought provoking questions and themes, including questions centered around life, death, dreams, guilt, regret, and a few other heavy hitters. But the way in which those themes are covered is less than impressive. It's a poor pun, but perhaps it isn't too surprising that this film feels very vanilla.

The performances were great all around, and became the main driving force for my dwindling interest as the film went along. You can see Tom Cruise's passion for this role dripping through the character of David. This may be the best Cameron Diaz has ever been, as the creepy but seductive Julie Gianni. And of course, Penelope Cruz is great as Sofia Serrano. As much as I love their performances, it's difficult to become invested in any of the relationships when the script isn't where it needs to be. It's a dull screenplay that feeds off your attention span, or lack thereof. By that I mean that the film is only as interesting as you make it out to be. It takes plenty of twists and turns to keep your interest enough, but what's the point of a twist if you don't really care where the characters end up?

Vanilla Sky is essentially a melodramatic soap opera disguised as a romantic mystery. I wasn't necessarily bored during the film, but it didn't grab my interest the way a film like this should have. Great acting, trippy visuals, and a classic Cameron Crowe soundtrack wasn't enough to save this dreamy picture.

+Acting

+Poses interesting questions

-But takes too many twists and turns for those questions to mean anything

-Dull script

5.6/10
½ April 3, 2017
This movie was really different. So different that I didn't completely understand it, but it was riveting. Kind of wish they would have stuck with what Tom Cruise's life would be like after being disfigured. Great use of music. Cruise fascinating once again.
½ March 25, 2017
Yes definitely fell short of expectations, some things are a bit over the top. Understanding the difficulties of a rich womanizer is one them.
March 20, 2017
crap film which is a re-make of another equally crap film.
February 18, 2017
I really like Vanilla, it's pure, clean, easy to delight my tongue. This movie was missing that touch. This was a jambalaya of film. Although I find Tom Cruise a guilty pleasure (I finally watched this because it's one of the last Cruise films I haven't seen), I don't fault any of the performances, they are as written. This movie is Crowe's, from the tepid writing and the mostly horrid music(but I would like a ringtone of Cruise singing "What if God was one of us"), from the love story beginning to the weird twilight zone ending and all the meandering between. Maybe the story would have benefitted being only 42min for TV rather than 2h15min stranding people in the dark.
February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 26, 2016
If you do not like this film or do not "get it" then I question whether you are really alive and not merely a projection or an avatar of a person, with no soul. Merely a product of a computer simulation or Universal imagination. Are you real? I am real!
August 27, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies of all time because of all the hidden easter eggs in the movie. Not many movies are like that, plus the SciFi story line is just fantastic and foretelling perhaps.
August 26, 2016
A good movie many will not like due to it's confusing plot. But, as confusing as it may be, this was a movie dealing with the difference between what we truly need as human beings and what we often believe we need...and that is important.
August 19, 2016
One of my all time fav movies
jamrcla
June 22, 2016
Very weird but not that bad, Very well acted, Just too slow for my liking.
½ June 18, 2016
PenÚlope Cruz looks incredibly bored, as if forced to be in this overlong remake that seems more like an endless series of music videos with way too many songs and pop references all the time, while Crowe's changes in the original story (despite his personal style) only make it worse.
March 19, 2016
Even in spite of some glaring narrative flaws, Cameron Crowe's Vanilla Sky is a mindbending drama that mostly succeeds. A remake of the 1997 Spanish film Open Your Eyes, Vanilla Sky is part romance drama, and part thought-provoking mystery. The middle act of the film has some pacing problems, and feels a little long at times, but it's almost hard to criticize it due to how significant it becomes by the time the film ends. Plus, the film really picks up in the third act to make up for it. Tom Cruise is as charismatic as always, even when his face is obscured. Perhaps the most surprising performance comes from Cameron Diaz, who really makes the most of her limited screentime in a role we don't see from her often. However, PenÚlope Cruz is mediocre at best, and struggles as Cruise's love interest. Crowe's direction is solid, and he makes sure the film never loses coherency. Had the middle section of the film been edited down a bit, this would've been fantastic, but as it stands, Vanilla Sky is a good effort from Cameron Crowe that's sure to blow your mind at least once.
February 13, 2016
Such an amazing and often misunderstood movie! Richard Roeper's 2002 movie of the year and one of the best movies ever made. Roam free David...
February 2, 2016
Vanilla Sky is a psychological thriller. Complex and difficult to understand to some, it may require a subsequent viewing or reviewing to understand the plot. The reality (and non-reality) may be defined by the sky in the backdrop. Is it the normal sky of reality or is it the Vanilla Sky of the protagonist's mother's painting of the same name, which occurs within his mind?

The film speeds up in the 2nd half to its bizarre, twisted ending.
January 25, 2016
I thought this movie was pure genius. A blend of genres yes, and it does it magically.
January 25, 2016
Not sure if I'm crazy for loving this movie or if I'm crazy for being so surprised for the negative reviews. This movie single handedly made me fall in love with Penelope Cruz and think Cameron Diaz is a crazy diabolical murder-suicide stalker. Some corny writing at times, but in a whole I thought it was great. A two-hour whirlwind of emotions, love, hate, jealousy, anger, sad, renewal. Also, you can't say the movie doesn't make sense if you don't watch until the elevator scene. I don't know maybe it does suck but if nothing else you get a great soundtrack.