Vanilla Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanilla Sky Reviews

½ November 19, 2017
Good movie nice ending...
½ November 10, 2017
(5.5 out of 6)
Vanilla Sky (Dra-mance-Sci-fi)
When we see we are flying high to have an eye on all the beauty from above when we get to see perspectives not many get to see and enjoy as we do. When we see we are rolling high when all what we eye is all around us when we are head of a Market firm in the highest advertising market where the world sees and eyes our work, New York City. When some highs must end when they are dreams that we see we wake up in dream life career & lifestyle that our highs don't disappear with a blink of an eye. When what we see is important that provides all eyes to know what highs and lows are there to follow and we have an eye for it all. When somethings we don't have an eye on we see we in low places when dealing with highest level of the law criminal court. When some highs we get to enjoy when the perks of our fame we see all types of gorgeous people that have an eye for us. When some highs we enjoy when we see everything is going alright to not worry when our eyes are needed to be on the ball when we deal with those higher up investors.

When we see many things being high can do to open our eyes, and see so many things that being low can do to close our eyes, that we enjoy the highs as they come and fear the falls when they do come to leave us seeing with our heart not our eyes in the end. When there are plenty of perks of being high that we don't always get to see what what's coming out for us when we can't keep an eye on everything unless we got good friends, associates, and staff. When we see we reached high places when all who is high was eyeing those with greater reputations in seeing when it's a family business we inherit. When we see what others see in high places to know they see a good thing when eyes are important in this business when it gets us places. When someplaces it gets us we don't see coming when it's prison and other places it gets us we don't see coming when it's moments we laid eyes on a unique beautiful woman that we remember the highest moment in our life falling in love. When we see what makes those high is being in some places they enjoy when it's seeing their freedom, passions, and artworks come alive when they enjoy seeing the world deeply that we see eye to eye with. When others don't see something's others show us when being in high places we don't have an eye on everyone to get them on some other other levels. When what others see we know what their highs are all about that we don't see eye to eye on everything. When seeing highs and lows is everywhere when someone shows us what we lack seeing when we haven't experienced ourselves more then others to have an eye on seeing so deeply the world. When we seen just about everything there is to see to have an eye on what works and doesn't work when getting what we want is our high and our low point that we just can't get enough. When someplaces we don't normally get to see when it's not getting what we want that drives us even higher to have eyes on those even more closely. When what we see others don't see, when they see how everybody on the outside sees that they been rejected or not accepted to eye them only as not serious when they are in low places. When other things we don't see coming when it's another side to people we don't normally get to see someone's eyes up close that gets us higher. When what gets us high is getting in with those that only accept a few that have eyes on us that we see something is there. When we see others have an eye on us in a closer scope to see who we are that make some highs last longer when they are happy with what they see and some highs just end when they are unhappy with what they see. When what we don't see deeper in someone's eyes as they do but you look deeper in other things, what gets you high in the first place can get you low when they see you for what you are a low person deep inside. When we don't see what dreams might come to see what gets us high are all the things waiting for us that we can't wait to see again, but realize those eyes are gone when what they see deep inside they don't want to see no more when dreams are lies, and reality is truth.

When what we see what we have now we live with it when we see eye to eye in getting us better makes us have high hopes but not eye to eye in things that makes us low when it's not progress. When what we see what gets others in high places we don't see when they don't have an eye in what they can't see in a person's loss to see we don't see eye to eye that makes us low. When what makes us high is seeing those we only have eyes for once again, to see we get everything we want into place, the way we like it. When other things we don't see, or have our eye on we catchup when getting back into the swing of things gets high. When we see we need something's in order to function other things in our life we know what gets us high when we crave all eyes on us deep within and out. When we see something's are gone to only have an eye on things that make us stay when some highs we crave are emotional and others are as material & artificial as our face we drink to having a great time. When what we see is the truth that we have eyes to see and so does everybody else when having everything makes us high but losing it makes us low we can't get over. When we see others could see what we couldn't see when they have an eye for things that love but hate how it gets us in high and low places when we have it and dont have it. When what we see we have enough when eyes can't get over something's to makes us feel low when see something's is hard to see. When others don't mind seeing us, when they see us the same way they always saw us from deep inside when some highs continue even when time passes.

When we see with time comes hope when others have a better eye in such procedures when we must go higher in the knife to see what we want. When what we dread in seeing we hope we keep seeing when it's others eyes keep looking at us the same way as they always have when we want some highs to keep going. When somethings others see are only superficial to matter when we get high off of jokes when we only eye friendship.

When we see everything is going great that makes us high we see it all disappear when the vary thing eyeing us is not what we have been seeing that drops us to a low. When we see we lands us in low places when we see what we done our highs have dark intentions to eye the prize & enemy, dreams & reality. When we see what we had done in moments where we see we lost it all to choose some highs last longer when we eyed the best thing we ever had. When we see some outcomes never happened and other moments did happen to have a pivotal decision in our life where all the eyes we wish were looking at us that we never had but grew up eyeing and seeing everywhere that makes all marketing possible look at us to choose. When we truly see reality for what it is worth, when the only eyes that matter are the ones we have to use to determine what really are our true highs in life. When we see something's are too late, some outcomes irreversible, and we lost alot that makes us high, but we don't choose to close our eyes, but open them and face reality for what it really is. When we see reality can make us alive or dead to see the world again or keep our eyes closed forever. What we choose to see is we might like or dislike what we see with our reality can bring us high or low when everyone might or might not see eye to eye, that we just have to bare when reality is a cruel joke. When what we see we might not get when what we eye may not eye us back when we are to high to understand what others want and what we want even it is out there in all entertainment waiting to take advantage & exploit for profit so we all can keep on watching the best of reality.
November 3, 2017
an understanding phycho film
½ September 11, 2017
Vanilla Sky is a strange enigma of a film. It is told largely in flashback, I think, but then maybe it?s not. The entire plot is like trying to solve a puzzle but one that doesn?t operate on conventional logic. I was definitely fascinated by it, despite the fact that I felt completely lost through most of the movie. This is one of those rare movies that will probably be infinitely better the second time you see it. Once the mystery has been solved, and you understand how the story was actually structured, I think it could lead to a lot of interesting analysis. Tom Cruise was excellent in Vanilla Sky. His emotions range all over the place in this film, from pure elation to dark depression. I also like Kurt Russell as the man who is helping him to understand it all, because he has that authoritative and wise tone that adds to his scenes (and makes the end more intense.) Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz are lovely, and I like how they both have their own particular brand of charm so you can see why Cruise is attracted to them, but they aren?t the same. I feel like I could have gone either way on Vanilla Sky, because it is so confusing that I felt lost through a lot of it. Luckily, I connected to the dream-like quality and feel like it will be worthwhile seeing it again.
September 4, 2017
Great movie with great twists and turns. The three main actors (Cruise, Diaz and Cruz) give amazing performances. Kurt Russel also gives a great performance. A classic in my opinion. I love it.
½ August 12, 2017
The original Spanish version was actually better. Has a kind of post-modern university feel that I hate about it. But it did keep my attention for a reasonable length of time. And it certainly creates a very distinct mood with the music & direction. Good performances. Special kudos to Cameron Diaz who plays the most quintessential psycho ex-girlfriend ever, here.
July 16, 2017
interesting and ambitious in what it tried to do. the problem is, the path leading there seems like it's just meant to confuse you. it makes sense for the most part, but it just wasn't an enjoyable ride, and it also didn't help that it was really long and boring. (2 viewings)
½ May 30, 2017
I think it was better than the original, Open Your Eyes.
May 24, 2017
An interesting movie, yet it isn't impossible to get completely lost.
May 21, 2017
Much more indepth than most give credit for. A fantastic job by Cruise
May 4, 2017
This movie is way out there, but not exactly appealing. Expect to be confused and just plain bored. (First and only viewing - Teen years)
April 11, 2017
Starts out as a tender and beautiful love story between David (Tom Cruise) and Sophia (Penelope Cruz), with some added drama from Julianna (Cameron Diaz). Then it gets very complicated and convoluted, blurring lines between reality and fantasy.
April 9, 2017
Potentially a great movie but lacks cohesion and real feelings. Was intrigued where story would lead but characterisation was confusing. Didn't finish.
½ April 5, 2017
I love the unique style and background Cameron Crowe brings to his films. It's like an unexpected mixture of juvenile wonder and adult innocence that appeals to me about his films. Vanilla Sky is by far his darkest feature, but also the one with the least amount of heart and pizazz. In fact, most of it is just a dull mess.

Vanilla Sky is an American remake of the 1997 Spanish film, Open Your Eyes. While I haven't seen that film yet, I can imagine it's probably a little more coherent. The remake poses some thought provoking questions and themes, including questions centered around life, death, dreams, guilt, regret, and a few other heavy hitters. But the way in which those themes are covered is less than impressive. It's a poor pun, but perhaps it isn't too surprising that this film feels very vanilla.

The performances were great all around, and became the main driving force for my dwindling interest as the film went along. You can see Tom Cruise's passion for this role dripping through the character of David. This may be the best Cameron Diaz has ever been, as the creepy but seductive Julie Gianni. And of course, Penelope Cruz is great as Sofia Serrano. As much as I love their performances, it's difficult to become invested in any of the relationships when the script isn't where it needs to be. It's a dull screenplay that feeds off your attention span, or lack thereof. By that I mean that the film is only as interesting as you make it out to be. It takes plenty of twists and turns to keep your interest enough, but what's the point of a twist if you don't really care where the characters end up?

Vanilla Sky is essentially a melodramatic soap opera disguised as a romantic mystery. I wasn't necessarily bored during the film, but it didn't grab my interest the way a film like this should have. Great acting, trippy visuals, and a classic Cameron Crowe soundtrack wasn't enough to save this dreamy picture.

+Acting

+Poses interesting questions

-But takes too many twists and turns for those questions to mean anything

-Dull script

5.6/10
½ April 3, 2017
This movie was really different. So different that I didn't completely understand it, but it was riveting. Kind of wish they would have stuck with what Tom Cruise's life would be like after being disfigured. Great use of music. Cruise fascinating once again.
½ March 25, 2017
Yes definitely fell short of expectations, some things are a bit over the top. Understanding the difficulties of a rich womanizer is one them.
March 20, 2017
crap film which is a re-make of another equally crap film.
February 18, 2017
I really like Vanilla, it's pure, clean, easy to delight my tongue. This movie was missing that touch. This was a jambalaya of film. Although I find Tom Cruise a guilty pleasure (I finally watched this because it's one of the last Cruise films I haven't seen), I don't fault any of the performances, they are as written. This movie is Crowe's, from the tepid writing and the mostly horrid music(but I would like a ringtone of Cruise singing "What if God was one of us"), from the love story beginning to the weird twilight zone ending and all the meandering between. Maybe the story would have benefitted being only 42min for TV rather than 2h15min stranding people in the dark.
February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 26, 2016
If you do not like this film or do not "get it" then I question whether you are really alive and not merely a projection or an avatar of a person, with no soul. Merely a product of a computer simulation or Universal imagination. Are you real? I am real!