Vanilla Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanilla Sky Reviews

½ September 11, 2017
Vanilla Sky is a strange enigma of a film. It is told largely in flashback, I think, but then maybe it?s not. The entire plot is like trying to solve a puzzle but one that doesn?t operate on conventional logic. I was definitely fascinated by it, despite the fact that I felt completely lost through most of the movie. This is one of those rare movies that will probably be infinitely better the second time you see it. Once the mystery has been solved, and you understand how the story was actually structured, I think it could lead to a lot of interesting analysis. Tom Cruise was excellent in Vanilla Sky. His emotions range all over the place in this film, from pure elation to dark depression. I also like Kurt Russell as the man who is helping him to understand it all, because he has that authoritative and wise tone that adds to his scenes (and makes the end more intense.) Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz are lovely, and I like how they both have their own particular brand of charm so you can see why Cruise is attracted to them, but they aren?t the same. I feel like I could have gone either way on Vanilla Sky, because it is so confusing that I felt lost through a lot of it. Luckily, I connected to the dream-like quality and feel like it will be worthwhile seeing it again.
September 4, 2017
Great movie with great twists and turns. The three main actors (Cruise, Diaz and Cruz) give amazing performances. Kurt Russel also gives a great performance. A classic in my opinion. I love it.
½ August 12, 2017
The original Spanish version was actually better. Has a kind of post-modern university feel that I hate about it. But it did keep my attention for a reasonable length of time. And it certainly creates a very distinct mood with the music & direction. Good performances. Special kudos to Cameron Diaz who plays the most quintessential psycho ex-girlfriend ever, here.
July 16, 2017
interesting and ambitious in what it tried to do. the problem is, the path leading there seems like it's just meant to confuse you. it makes sense for the most part, but it just wasn't an enjoyable ride, and it also didn't help that it was really long and boring. (2 viewings)
½ May 30, 2017
I think it was better than the original, Open Your Eyes.
May 24, 2017
An interesting movie, yet it isn't impossible to get completely lost.
May 21, 2017
Much more indepth than most give credit for. A fantastic job by Cruise
May 4, 2017
This movie is way out there, but not exactly appealing. Expect to be confused and just plain bored. (First and only viewing - Teen years)
April 11, 2017
Starts out as a tender and beautiful love story between David (Tom Cruise) and Sophia (Penelope Cruz), with some added drama from Julianna (Cameron Diaz). Then it gets very complicated and convoluted, blurring lines between reality and fantasy.
April 9, 2017
Potentially a great movie but lacks cohesion and real feelings. Was intrigued where story would lead but characterisation was confusing. Didn't finish.
½ April 5, 2017
I love the unique style and background Cameron Crowe brings to his films. It's like an unexpected mixture of juvenile wonder and adult innocence that appeals to me about his films. Vanilla Sky is by far his darkest feature, but also the one with the least amount of heart and pizazz. In fact, most of it is just a dull mess.

Vanilla Sky is an American remake of the 1997 Spanish film, Open Your Eyes. While I haven't seen that film yet, I can imagine it's probably a little more coherent. The remake poses some thought provoking questions and themes, including questions centered around life, death, dreams, guilt, regret, and a few other heavy hitters. But the way in which those themes are covered is less than impressive. It's a poor pun, but perhaps it isn't too surprising that this film feels very vanilla.

The performances were great all around, and became the main driving force for my dwindling interest as the film went along. You can see Tom Cruise's passion for this role dripping through the character of David. This may be the best Cameron Diaz has ever been, as the creepy but seductive Julie Gianni. And of course, Penelope Cruz is great as Sofia Serrano. As much as I love their performances, it's difficult to become invested in any of the relationships when the script isn't where it needs to be. It's a dull screenplay that feeds off your attention span, or lack thereof. By that I mean that the film is only as interesting as you make it out to be. It takes plenty of twists and turns to keep your interest enough, but what's the point of a twist if you don't really care where the characters end up?

Vanilla Sky is essentially a melodramatic soap opera disguised as a romantic mystery. I wasn't necessarily bored during the film, but it didn't grab my interest the way a film like this should have. Great acting, trippy visuals, and a classic Cameron Crowe soundtrack wasn't enough to save this dreamy picture.

+Acting

+Poses interesting questions

-But takes too many twists and turns for those questions to mean anything

-Dull script

5.6/10
½ April 3, 2017
This movie was really different. So different that I didn't completely understand it, but it was riveting. Kind of wish they would have stuck with what Tom Cruise's life would be like after being disfigured. Great use of music. Cruise fascinating once again.
½ March 25, 2017
Yes definitely fell short of expectations, some things are a bit over the top. Understanding the difficulties of a rich womanizer is one them.
March 20, 2017
crap film which is a re-make of another equally crap film.
February 18, 2017
I really like Vanilla, it's pure, clean, easy to delight my tongue. This movie was missing that touch. This was a jambalaya of film. Although I find Tom Cruise a guilty pleasure (I finally watched this because it's one of the last Cruise films I haven't seen), I don't fault any of the performances, they are as written. This movie is Crowe's, from the tepid writing and the mostly horrid music(but I would like a ringtone of Cruise singing "What if God was one of us"), from the love story beginning to the weird twilight zone ending and all the meandering between. Maybe the story would have benefitted being only 42min for TV rather than 2h15min stranding people in the dark.
February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 26, 2016
If you do not like this film or do not "get it" then I question whether you are really alive and not merely a projection or an avatar of a person, with no soul. Merely a product of a computer simulation or Universal imagination. Are you real? I am real!
August 27, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies of all time because of all the hidden easter eggs in the movie. Not many movies are like that, plus the SciFi story line is just fantastic and foretelling perhaps.
August 26, 2016
A good movie many will not like due to it's confusing plot. But, as confusing as it may be, this was a movie dealing with the difference between what we truly need as human beings and what we often believe we need...and that is important.