Vanilla Sky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanilla Sky Reviews

November 26, 2016
If you do not like this film or do not "get it" then I question whether you are really alive and not merely a projection or an avatar of a person, with no soul. Merely a product of a computer simulation or Universal imagination. Are you real? I am real!
August 27, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies of all time because of all the hidden easter eggs in the movie. Not many movies are like that, plus the SciFi story line is just fantastic and foretelling perhaps.
August 26, 2016
A good movie many will not like due to it's confusing plot. But, as confusing as it may be, this was a movie dealing with the difference between what we truly need as human beings and what we often believe we need...and that is important.
August 19, 2016
One of my all time fav movies
jamrcla
June 22, 2016
Very weird but not that bad, Very well acted, Just too slow for my liking.
½ June 18, 2016
PenÚlope Cruz looks incredibly bored, as if forced to be in this overlong remake that seems more like an endless series of music videos with way too many songs and pop references all the time, while Crowe's changes in the original story (despite his personal style) only make it worse.
March 19, 2016
Even in spite of some glaring narrative flaws, Cameron Crowe's Vanilla Sky is a mindbending drama that mostly succeeds. A remake of the 1997 Spanish film Open Your Eyes, Vanilla Sky is part romance drama, and part thought-provoking mystery. The middle act of the film has some pacing problems, and feels a little long at times, but it's almost hard to criticize it due to how significant it becomes by the time the film ends. Plus, the film really picks up in the third act to make up for it. Tom Cruise is as charismatic as always, even when his face is obscured. Perhaps the most surprising performance comes from Cameron Diaz, who really makes the most of her limited screentime in a role we don't see from her often. However, PenÚlope Cruz is mediocre at best, and struggles as Cruise's love interest. Crowe's direction is solid, and he makes sure the film never loses coherency. Had the middle section of the film been edited down a bit, this would've been fantastic, but as it stands, Vanilla Sky is a good effort from Cameron Crowe that's sure to blow your mind at least once.
February 13, 2016
Such an amazing and often misunderstood movie! Richard Roeper's 2002 movie of the year and one of the best movies ever made. Roam free David...
February 2, 2016
Vanilla Sky is a psychological thriller. Complex and difficult to understand to some, it may require a subsequent viewing or reviewing to understand the plot. The reality (and non-reality) may be defined by the sky in the backdrop. Is it the normal sky of reality or is it the Vanilla Sky of the protagonist's mother's painting of the same name, which occurs within his mind?

The film speeds up in the 2nd half to its bizarre, twisted ending.
January 25, 2016
I thought this movie was pure genius. A blend of genres yes, and it does it magically.
January 25, 2016
Not sure if I'm crazy for loving this movie or if I'm crazy for being so surprised for the negative reviews. This movie single handedly made me fall in love with Penelope Cruz and think Cameron Diaz is a crazy diabolical murder-suicide stalker. Some corny writing at times, but in a whole I thought it was great. A two-hour whirlwind of emotions, love, hate, jealousy, anger, sad, renewal. Also, you can't say the movie doesn't make sense if you don't watch until the elevator scene. I don't know maybe it does suck but if nothing else you get a great soundtrack.
January 3, 2016
December 2011 in Palm Springs with Jessica.
December 27, 2015
This movie did not get the credit it deserved. Too many critics simply cannot keep up with artistic innovation. You know a movie (and a book) worth if its something that you talk and think about for days later. This is one of those movies for better or worse.
½ December 17, 2015
I enjoyed this movie more than many people did.
½ December 11, 2015
Average movie from Tom Cruise.
November 11, 2015
one of the best mind benders ever. so many layers to it and it honestly does have alot of slow moments to it yet the ending its incredible. with great acting from the whole cast a must see for everyone!
November 11, 2015
A mind bending psycho thriller well worth seeing. It felt difficult to follow at times, leaving me in a sort of confusing but it comes together in the end, with high quality actors and yes they delivered the good in this film. I don't understand why are people saying this was boring. So for this being one of the best movies that I have seen and Tom Cruise being just a badass of an actor in it, I give " Vanilla Sky " a perfect B.
October 15, 2015
Very enjoyable movie, but from Crowe, Cruise, Diaz and Cruz I just expected more.
September 9, 2015
A personal favorite of mine.