Vertigo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vertigo Reviews

January 31, 2017
An unpredictable, pulse-pounding, and stylish mystery about the very serious themes of love, loss and life. An absolute masterpiece coming from one of the best directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock
10/10
January 26, 2017
One of the best mystery films, that only Alfred can pull out, ever made. If you have the opportunity to watch in a big screen, go for it, you really feel the heights better. I will never forget the Vertigo tree scene, that inspired "La Jetée". I remember when I saw it for the first time, I was probably 13-14, and how it made me wonder about life. Amazing. A must see, on my top 20 best films, and on my top 10 mystery flicks.
½ January 25, 2017
What is there left to say about this movie? It's a masterpiece!
January 25, 2017
'Vertigo' has now been considered by many to be the best picture of all time. No surprises here.
January 23, 2017
Jimmy Stewart's fourth and final collaboration with Alfred Hitchcock, starring as John Ferguson, a detective whose life unravels when he develops acrophobia amidst a rooftop foot chase. A troubling picture in many ways, from its complex, effectively unsettling filmmaking to the distressing changes undertaken by Ferguson in the third act. Hitchcock is, of course, a master of the craft and there's much to be learned from his efforts behind the camera (the now-infamous dolly zoom, tricks with lighting and foreshadowing, a casual pace that somehow never seems to grow stale) but also plenty to wonder about the man himself from the actions of his on-screen counterpart. In a Hitchcock film, it's nothing new for a visibly older gentleman to effortlessly draw the affections of a young blonde. Stewart's no exception in this film, pulling buxom Kim Novak (twenty-five years his junior), but his particular brand of obsession quickly grows dark and insistent, leading to some very squeamish scenes as he draws close to unraveling the conspiracy that's ensnared them both. Of course, Ferguson ultimately pays a price for this turn, but his greater judgment is never laid out on the screen. Rather, it's abruptly left to the scrutiny of the viewing audience, with more than a nudge to suggest he may not be completely without alibi. Expertly concocted and tragic from a bird's-eye perspective, but worrying from a more introspective one.
January 15, 2017
To love is to kill. Love is vertigo.
January 14, 2017
A confusing, unpredictable, yet beautiful film to watch, with a dark hidden message behind it. One of Hitchcock's best work and one of the best films of the 20th century.
January 11, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' is the final product of excellent writing, captivating visual effects, and a story so uniquely unpredictable it will impress the viewer greatly. 5/5
January 10, 2017
OK it probably shouldn't have taken me 40 years to watch this. Never realised that it was actually about obsession. JS is excellently creepy.
January 8, 2017
Disorienting, dizzying, and quite unsettling at times... All the workings of a Hitchcock masterpiece, and this film rightfully can be considered a definitive example of that. It's not structured the way a thriller so often is, both nowadays and in the era when it was released, in that the pacing can be considered particularly slow at times. However, if viewers can get over that stigma, they'll find a highly captivating story of a traumatized detective hired for one more case, a case he is woefully unprepared for. Jimmy Stewart is brilliant as usual as the lead, Scottie Ferguson, bringing his every-man, sympathetic persona to a character that could have easily come across as a completely unsympathetic, unstable and unlikable individual had a lesser actor taken the role. Instead, as the case unravels and his fears and obsessions begin to take hold, Stewart's portrayal brings mixed feelings of pity and disturbance, an intriguing train-wreck that is a broken man trying desperately to keep himself together, and failing. Co-star Kim Novak is similarly brilliant as the mysterious woman that Scottie is asked to investigate, a woman he finds himself falling for, only to find he's fallen for what is quickly proven to be a deceptive performance, and not entirely a willing one on the deceiver's behalf. The mystery, as many will claim, is one that quickly solves itself before the film's climax, but this isn't meant to be a mystery film, it's a character study, one that shows just what past traumas, obsession, and fabrication can do to a person, and the ensuing consequences that can result from their attempts to deal with such things. It all plays out like a massive car pile up, a horrid sight, but one you can't take your eyes off of, and I mean that in the best possible way. Hitchcock at his prime was a master at pulling off this sort of thing, and Vertigo may well be the prime example of this mastery.
January 7, 2017
10 out of 10:

A very strange yet smart and unpredictable film that also is visually stunning.
January 3, 2017
A strange Alfred Hitchcock film that miscasts James Stewart in an aggressive role. Visually it is an interesting film, but I found it somewhat boring. (First and only full viewing - 9/27/2010)
½ January 2, 2017
This is considered one of the best movies ever, but after watching this I was disappointed. I was so much looking forward to seeing it but it wasn't worth it. The acting especially from James Stewart is good and he is trying but overall this is just an above average movie. The camera work is good.

During the first 30 minutes or so the movie just drags, and the pacing is so slow. It shows what we already know. Scottie has vertigo and is asked to follow his friend's wife who thinks she is a reincarnation or something. It is almost like nothing is happening and Scottie is just doing his job. It was during this time I asked myself that why was I watching this.

The character development is very poor excluding Scottie. His ex girlfriend had no role in this movie. She is just there. Nothing is told as to whh they broke up. We dont need a full background story but a simple explanation whould have done it. Many parts of the movie could have been edited.

Then we come near the 3rd act of the movie. 5 minutes into it the suspense is revealed like wtf. It didn't work for me. Again the pacing is somewhat slow until the end. The ending is very abrupt and it is just thrown at us. In some cases it works only if the overall movie is excellent and makes sense. I will be honest I wasn't expecting the ending but it doesn't work for me. Somethings are not even well explained.

I can't go into more details because it will give out spoilers. So overall you may or may not like this movie. But if your having a boring day, go for it.
January 2, 2017
Boring and Stupid. I finally go around to watching this film after reading that it had been ranked as one of the best (and, in some cases, the best) film ever made. It was a wasted two hours and fifteen minutes. It's slow moving. Boring. Ridiculous premise. And a really stupid ending. I generally enjoy classic films, but this one is a complete waste of time. I have no idea how it is even considered a classic, let alone one of the best of all time.
½ January 1, 2017
Vertigo is Hitchcock's undisputed best as a director, And James Stewart gives an ahead of his time, further proving him as an anachronism. Where the plot and story die down, the visual richness and immersive directing still soar. This film, however, has unfoundedly replaced Citizen Kane as AFI's best film.
½ December 15, 2016
*SPOILER WARNING*

I went in knowing nothing about the film aside from its outstanding reputation and its spiralling poster. Perhaps it was the hype surrounding a movie considered one of the best of all time, but upon watching the final few minutes with horror and confusion, I was left ultimately dissatisfied. I understand the thematic values of the film and the introduction of the dolly zoom, as well as James Stewart's turn to the dark side, but it was a very odd movie.

The first half is a slow affair of watching a former detective do his former job quite horribly. I guess in retrospect it's good to know he was being played a fool the entire time or else I'd still wonder if the person he was tailing had no awareness that the same car and man was twenty feet behind her the entire time barely making any attempt to conceal his actions, especially at the cemetery. Following him romancing another man's wife, which again absolves her of worse judgement for she isn't actually wed, it just goes off the rails and becomes a dark look at obsession.

Take away the twist "revelation," which was explained right away leaving no mystery to follow, and it remains just as horrifying watching this man obsess over a dead loved one and change a stranger, make her dress like her, and take her to where she died. He knew because of a necklace. What if that wasn't truly the case? This man acts like a monster. Remove the letter and confession and he still remains a monster; the only difference is that he's no longer right. How far would it have gone if it was a different girl he tried to change for himself? Would it still have come to the bell tower down the road if there was no necklace? He went down a deep dark path, and the movie abruptly ends with a terrible fate.

The fact that I'm thinking so much about the movie gives it some points, but there's quite a bit of this movie that just moves so slowly.
December 8, 2016
Part of best movies list that has been compiled from lists that I have found on the internet. I really enjoyed this movie. It was really good.
October 28, 2016
A very fun movie with interesting plot fueled with numerous unusual twist and turns XD
½ October 24, 2016
Just saw it for the first at the Aero Oct 2016. The musical score is incredible (except the standard romantic segments) and really makes for the suspense. Steward who is wimpiest actor of that generation actually ends up working out besides his overacting style
October 21, 2016
You never go bored with Hitchcock thrillers. Brilliant in every aspect.