Vertigo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vertigo Reviews

½ February 18, 2018
So bad it was funny.
February 14, 2018
Representative of Alfred Hitchcock at his worst, Vertigo is a sickeningly self indulgent affair. Text book how not to make a long movie, this flick simply faffs around doing pretty much nothing for two hours just so it can hit us with a ridiculous, completely baseless plot twist in the last ten minutes. Staying awake is hard enough watching Vertigo, but following the plot is near impossible, mainly because you don't give a shit 30 minutes in. The critics got it right the first time around.
½ February 10, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 13, 2018
you took no notice..

Vertigo

Vertigo definitely has some twists, tragic and a dark theme but most of the time is spent on carving the characters which could have been edited better.
January 4, 2018
Hitchcock always had a way to mesmerize the viewer as if they were transfixed into an alternate reality. In this film we are taken on a journey alongside veteran film legend James Stewart and the young and stunningly beautiful Kim Novak. James Stewart makes his final appearance in an Alfred Hitchcock film and does so with class and experience. He plays a retired cop who after witnessing the fall of a fellow cop has developed acrophobia (a fear of heights) which gives him vertigo. He is hired by a friend to spy on his wife and then the mystery ensues.

First the Bernard Herrman score is as good as usual and he would return again a few more times for Hitchcock films including North by Northwest which would be released in 1959. The classic Saul Bass title credits in the beginning of the film are just as memorable.

The themes of obsession and mistrust are overwhelming. The movie basically leads from one thing to the next which keeps you interested. James Stewart and Kim Novak as mentioned earlier are remarkably cast in the lead roles.

Between Rear Window, Psycho, North by Northwest, Rebecca and Notorious, Vertgo fits in the top 5 Hitchcock thrillers of all time. It's also one of the greatest films of all time at that.
December 26, 2017
M-F

8.5

[Alfred Hitchcock]
½ December 24, 2017
A little disappointed at first, because I was expecting more of a thriller than a romance, but overall this is a great movie.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

A. Hitchcock nos muestra sin duda ser uno de los innovasores más influyentes del siglo XX, además de una magnífica propuesta visual, Vertigo nos ofrece una intrigante historia con un sorprendente final.
December 7, 2017
In one of the greatest movies of all time, Hitchcock delivers and amazing movie that had originally received mixed reviews. In 2012, the British Film Institute Sight & Sound voted Vertigo as the greatest movie of all time, unseating Citizen Kane from the top spot and it's no surprise why. One of Hitchcock's masterpieces it's topics range from deceit to murder as John "Scottie" Ferguson tries to get over his acrophobia. The ending scene was very astounding which will leave you wondering. John and Judy's "relationship" makes a mind-blowing topic. I personally think that John seems kind of controlling at the end.
November 27, 2017
Vertigo is another proof of Hitchcock's greatness and a solid psychological thriller that never fails to shock and scare, with mesmerizing lead performances and filled with plot-twists. Rightfully considered one of the best movies ever made, this timeless classic remain unsurpassed to this day.
½ November 24, 2017
Vertigo [Alfred Hitchcock, 1958, United States] Where obsession leads to objectification of love and desire. 9/10
November 20, 2017
I'm increasingly convinced that this or the Shining is the greatest film ever in terms of theme, significance, and duality. Vertigo is one of several Hitchcock films to have a hidden theme emerge but I think this movie executes that motif the best of any of his works. Unlike say Rear Window or North by Northwest - excellent in their own ways - there is no cheesy acting or lame effects. The ending to North by Northwest always felt too cliche whereas Rear Window's finale is a special effects disaster for 10 whole seconds. This movie pulls none of those punches. You have to watch this film if you claim to be a movie buff.
November 10, 2017
Uno de los pocos fracasos comerciales de Hitchcock y una de las obras menos queridas por su director, "Vertigo" es considerada actualmente como una de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos, superando en muchos aspectos a "Citizen Kane", la cinta de Orson Welles que disputa el título.

Más que una excelente película de suspenso, "Vertigo" es un relato en clave psicoanalítica acerca de la obsesión causada por el deseo. Aquí Hitchcock nos plantea una perversa teoría sobre el amor: el amor no consiste en querer a la persona por lo que es, sino por lo que queremos que ella sea.

"Vertigo" es también una de las películas más autobiográficas de Hitchcock. Aquí se hace evidente su espíritu controlador y su obsesión por las mujeres rubias, gélidas y distantes, vestidas en elegantes y ajustados trajes de sastre y con su cabello recogido y restringido. Las mujeres en las cintas de Hitchcock se parecen mucho a la madre de este. Esta es una clave para entender también a "Psycho", la otra obra maestra del director.

En esta cinta, Scottie (interpretado por James Stewart), es un hombre antipático con muchas debilidades físicas, mentales y emocionales (así como un gran miedo a las alturas), quien se obsesiona con una idea de mujer que busca imponer en su realidad. Al no poder tener a la mujer que desea, Scottie encuentra a otra mujer y trata de ajustarla a su idea, obligándola a cambiar su apariencia y su comportamiento para que se ajuste a su objeto de deseo. Vale la pena recordar que Grace Kelly, la actriz fetiche de Hitchcock rechazó el papel femenino de "Vertigo" y fue reemplazada por Kim Novak, en un papel en el que se siente que fue obligada a emular a Kelly.

Los misterios y las revelaciones de la cinta, es mejor no contarlos. Basta con decir que esta es la mejor película del más grande director de todos los tiempos, quien bajo una estructura narrativa de género (en este caso suspenso), captura con un gran talento para lo formal, las incómodas emociones humanas (deseo, miedo, culpa, obsesión) y nos habla sobre ellas con una elocuencia que va más allá de las palabras.
November 7, 2017
A tragic character study of dealing with death and obsession, Hitchcock's surreal magnum opus stands the test of time and should be watched by all film fanatics.
October 30, 2017
Am extremely dark mystery/thriller that never lets up. Alfred Hitchcock inserts often frightening frames and brilliant use of colors while the script takes us on a psychologically disturbing ride with dark themes. Unlike Hitchcock's other films however, this may require a second viewing to truly appreciate the darkness behind the film and understand the narrative heft.
½ October 24, 2017
superbly creepy movie about a recently retired detective who is helping a friend by trying to unravel a mysterious spirit in his wife
October 23, 2017
Vertigo: Alfred Hitchcock's essentric masterpiece that dives on love and loss all while being scary and thrilling.
½ October 14, 2017
"Citizen Kane" held the #1 spot on Sight & Sounds' "Best films of all time" lists for 5 decades. On top of that, it and "The Godfather" tend to be the 2 go-to films that moviegoers usually pick for the greatest film ever made. In 2012, however, Sight & Sound made the controversial and infamous choice of finally giving another movie its throne. That movie was Alfred Hitchcock's classic, crime film, "Vertigo". I'm not sure if I would rank "Vertigo" that high. However, it's still a very good film and it deserves recognition for a lot of reasons.

After a police detective named John Ferguson causes the death of a police officer due to his acrophobia during a rooftop chase, he retires from that job. He is soon hired by a former college acquaintance of his to keep an eye on his wife, because he fears that she might commit suicide as she believes that she is possessed.

Around the 80 minute mark, it seemed like the movie was about to end. It seemed as if the climax came to be, and the viewer thought that they knew what kind of film it was going to be. However, the viewer becomes shocked to find out that the film is continuing on. The viewer wonders: "What else do they have left to do?". At first, I thought that the movie was going to lose steam as the final third is, admittedly, a little bit slower than the rest of the film. However, the dream sequence gave me a feeling that I was not wasting my time. It interested me a lot, and I was curious to find out how the movie was going to end. This all led up to a shocking and unexpected ending which left a strong impact on me. The plot twist at the end made the film a lot better, and it encouraged me to watch the film again as I wondered how the movie was going to feel on a 2nd viewing.

Looking back at the movie, I noticed how John's acrophobia wasn't present in that many scenes. It was only present a few times in the movie. At first, I thought that it was a bit underutilized. However, after I thought more about how the plot twist at the end effected the film before it, I came to a conclusion that it did not have to be used more than it was. John did not have acrophobia, because Hitchcock simply wanted to add it in for suspense. It was put in the movie as it was essential for the movie's ending to work. If it were to be used any more times in the film, it would've started to feel redundant. Hitchcock did all of the primary tasks with that element without overdoing it.

The acting in this film was really good. James Stewart as John Ferguson did a good job as the lead performance. His performance was pretty solid all around. He provided all the emotions and reactions which were required for his role. Nothing more and nothing less. Kim Novak gave a really great performance as well. She played 2 characters who each had different personalities. When she was Madeleine Elster, she played a woman who looked hopeless and terrified. She was able to do it without sounding annoying or over-the-top. When she played Judy Barton, her role seemed more meaty and strong. She did a good job transitioning between both of these characters. As the movie continued on, I started to notice some subtlety in her performance. She clearly stole the show. They were great as the 2 main leads. I had no particular issues with any of the other actors and actresses.

The film is also pretty to look at. Views of the city and the streets are gorgeous. Some of the shots show dozens upon dozens of buildings. Those shots are overwhelming. Also, some of the other shots in different places around the city look nice as well such as the art museum and the graveyard. Also, it's hard to forget the opening scene where 3 of the characters were running across the rooftops with the evening sky in the background. Also, there's the haunting camerawork in the dream sequence which gives out an unsettling presence. Out of all of Hitchcock's films that I've seen so far, I like the cinematography in this film the most.

In conclusion, this was a well-acted and well-shot crime film which had a very memorable storyline and ending. Is it the best film of all time though? I wouldn't say so. There are deeper films than this one. "Citizen Kane" also has more layers to it and it's a more influential and important film. Also, I enjoyed "Rear Window" a little more than this one. However, this is still a really great film. I can understand why a lot of people like it. It's one of the best Hitchcock films that I've seen so far.
½ October 10, 2017
11/10/2017 - Featuring an unrealistic story and one sizable plot hole, this Hitchcock classic is not without its flaws. However, presenting a great script, score and many twists and turns, Vertigo is quite a feat.
½ October 9, 2017
Pretty good for passing a spot of spare time