Vertigo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vertigo Reviews

July 24, 2016
Possibly Alfred Hitchcock's best film. Vertigo is not meant to be taken at face value - to dismiss Vertigo as a suspense/mystery film is a crime! Every aspect of the movies is crafted to add to the dreamlike plot - color, costumes, sets, camera all add to the story.
July 23, 2016
Hitchcock's best film, Vertigo is a must-watch for film fans.
July 13, 2016
It's got some pacing issues and feels a little long, but it's excellent! Good performances, writing, directing and some great shots. Would definitely recommend.
½ July 9, 2016
Good, this is vertigo, the soundtrack is magnificent (like any of the Alfred Hitchcock film), photography is spectacular, the good performances, the script is Good, all of suspense is amazing, John's paranoia (James Stewart) the way Hitchcock uses the play of light to show the different feelings of our protagonist, his dreams turning his obsession, the feeling that there's something wrong permeates the entire film, his only fault is that at some point the film loses its rhythm and its acts are confused, but nothing is perfect. Vertigo is a great movie in every way.
July 6, 2016
Vertigo is a gripping, suspenseful and unpredictable thriller, and one of the best films of the 1950's. James Stewart was fantastic... he portrays his character's gradual change perfectly. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout, right up to its shocking conclusion. In conclusion, this is an excellent film and a must-see for movie lovers.
June 28, 2016
I just, I can't forgive Stewart in this the way I forgive him in Rear Window. While the romance there is gross but background noise, here it's front, centre, and integral to the film, and watching Novak (who also has no idea what she's doing) go limp under the touch of the befuddled geriatric's liver-spotted fingers is decidedly unpleasant. I like a lot about this movie, from the slow pace to the gorgeous colours to the creepy atmosphere. But the actors, and that idiotic plot twist (and the exposition dump that reveals it) make it a hard one for me to love.
June 25, 2016
3.8/5

Vertigo spawns a very interesting mystery that is brought to a halt towards the middle of the film marking another Hitchcock movie that has a dense but troubling narrative as each half of the film has its own merits; The first half develops the mystery and the second part slowly develops a romance in order to finish the whole ordeal, none of which I found to mesh very well together.
½ June 25, 2016
Movies that you hear so much about are bound to make you question the hype as you watch them. And in modern cinema they've taken so much of the classics and worked them subtly into what we watch today, making the originals seem lesser. That being said, Vertigo still holds up as a very solid movie. Jimmy Stewart killing it.
June 23, 2016
Vertigo can get a little creepy and possessive at the end of the film, but until then, it is an undeniable classic. Director Alfred Hitchcock knows suspense and here, he demonstrates his immense skill. A suspenseful, thrilling, and occasionally scary film that really pulls you in and leaves you on the edge of your seat waiting to see how it all plays out. Though, as I said, the ending is not scary, but decidedly creepy instead of being charming like it may have intended. This holds the film back a bit, but aside from this, Vertigo is a phenomenal film that has certainly aged visually, but its story is just as good as when it came out.
June 16, 2016
Hitch's best and most complex film.
May 25, 2016
Featuring an unrealistic story and one sizable plot hole, this Hitchcock classic is not without its flaws. However, presenting a great script, score and many twists and turns, Vertigo is quite a feat.
May 17, 2016
In my opinion, Hitchcock's best movie! Genius concept by a genius director!
April 30, 2016
A masterpiece from maestro Alfred Hitchcock. A sophisticated film with so much to it. A layered and complex script, packed with shocking plot twists and intricate detail. Suspenseful and haunting music from the masterful Bernard Herrmann. Incredible performances from James Stewart and Kim Novak. Atmospheric camera movements, courtesy of Hitchcock. One of the all-time cinematic greats.
April 23, 2016
Smart, scary, unpredictable - Alfred Hitchcock's tale of love and murder transcends expectations due to the director's brilliant grip of suspense.
½ April 14, 2016
A film all about voyeurism. Hitchcock touches on this subject in almost all of his films, but "Vertigo" uses it in a way to completely hypnotize its audience and get lost in the daze of Jimmy Stewart's character, and Bernard Hermann's score drives this daze that encapsulates the overall feeling of the whole film. While it's easy to laugh at the plot and macguffins Hitchcock sets up, it's humorously done and intentionally, and there's so much more to look for under the surface of this noir-mystery drama. I don't know if the plot is constructed as thoroughly as it could have been, but I will not deny that "Vertigo" is a cinematic achievement that will truly stick in your memory more than any other film of this era, and is one of my favorite films of all time.
April 8, 2016
I could say I was bored by Vertigo, but simultaneously, not knowing what Hitchcock was trying to convey may have led to that boredom, which wore off in the third act where the big plot twist was revealed and the love story deepened. Hitchcock undoubtedly did a great job in giving Vertigo a surreal feel through its cinematography. Some research may help me appreciate it more, but as of right now, Vertigo is a beautifully shot, well acted, at times charming and hypnotic noir thriller that somewhat left me feeling indifferent for two thirds of its run-time.
½ April 3, 2016
Vertigo is unpredictable and sharp but it's flawed by uneven storytelling.
Grade: B-
April 3, 2016
A technical masterpiece though the later stages of the film feel grossly misogynistic in parts, Vertigo still looks fantastic on the big screen, the abrupt ending still shocks, and that score is simply stunning.
March 30, 2016
I probably need to rewatch it so I can pay attention closer. It's a tough movie to follow.