Videodrome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Videodrome Reviews

½ December 9, 2017
One of Cronenberg's finest
½ November 28, 2017
It's alright, but the way Cronenberg makes metaphors literal comes off as cheesy which isn't a good combo with how serious it's presented. This would've been interesting to see Sam Raimi adapt, or John Carpenter.
November 19, 2017
Without a doubt one of the weirdest and oddest movies I've ever seen. With that being said, I really love the whole metaphor behind this movie. It states that TV and especially mass media can really ruin our lives, can make us hallucinate, can bring us into a world that we are not meant to be in, it can put us in a state of stupor that we might not realize by desensitizing us to murder and blood. The way Cronenberg expressed his views on the mass media were very creatively executed.

The use of synths and audio effects are wonderful adding to the creepiness and ominousness of the movie. It helps it become a horrifying realistic nightmare. The whole sequence with the gun and the hand was grotesque but wow, it looked so good. It was so beautifully crafted.

Overall, very dark and science fiction look at what the evils of mass media could do to us if we let it pull us in.
November 2, 2017
Videodrome showcases the horror of technology, sex and humanity as only David Cronenberg can. It is shocking, perverse, original and beautiful. Truly Cronenberg at his absolute best.
October 3, 2017
Cronenberg's practical 80s special effects and layered symbolism on media and sexuality make for one fuckin insane viewing experience. The film takes all kinds of chances and while it's hard to tell if it succeeds in all of them, it's definitely something you won't forget or want to just see once.
½ September 30, 2017
LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH
½ September 18, 2017
Videodrome doesn't have the same well-written characters that The Fly (1986) did but it still has the power to draw us in due to its disturbing visuals and great themes.

After a television executive searches for an intense new program for his TV network, he discovers a vhs tape called "Videodrome" which causes him to undergo a series of bizarre hallucinations.

Sometimes, this movie becomes too disgusting to watch (which is a good thing) and for good reasons too because the visuals are very disturbing and well-done. The movie tends to surprise us with its visuals too when we're least expecting it which makes its scenes work even better.

This also has great acting from James Woods. All of the other actors were great too but James Woods was really the only one who I felt stood out in the movie. However, his great performance was enough to carry the movie.

This movie has a chilling message which becomes more powerful today seeing as how technology keeps on advancing which leads to explicit and graphic entertainment rise.

This is still a great movie but I feel that The Fly is a better movie than this. The reason I think so is because The Fly contained well-written characters. I couldn't really connect with Max Renn as I did with Seth Brundle. However, this shouldn't bother you too much if you don't mind lack of character development. However, this is why I feel that The Fly is a little better.

In conclusion, this is a disturbing movie which contains a deep message. It gives audiences some disturbing things to think about. This is an amazing movie and all. I just think that The Fly is better because of its character development. However, you should still see this one too.
August 29, 2017
Still stunningly relevant, a quality horror with great performances. Silly to think it's 34 years old!
August 28, 2017
Setting expectations low can sometimes make the most unpleasant experiences tolerable. I had every reason to think that Videodrome would be a painful movie to watch, considering it has dark and twisted themes with some body horror added in for good measure. Surprisingly, I found some things that were quite fascinating in the film. The world starts out feeling very much like the real 1980s, but pushed to an extreme. It?s a dark and dismal world where TV has become a necessity that impacts every aspect of people?s lives, and there is no limit to what they will show on it. James Woods plays the protagonist who is a programming director for the sleaziest of cable channels, and on his journey to find the next extreme thing he stumbles upon Videodrome (a torture-themed show) which changes his life forever.

The entire film is like a mystery that challenges you to figure out what is real and what is hallucination. I would certainly like it more if they ever made it clear one way or another, but this isn?t that type of movie, and I at least liked the illusion of a thought-provoking puzzle. Sometimes ambiguity can work for me in film, but this one left things a little too opaque. I wanted to understand what was actually happening when Woods was seeing these insane things. Perhaps it all was happening, because they seemed to be playing with a heightened form of reality after the first Videodrome clip is shown. It became particularly confusing when scenes would feel grounded and real, and then suddenly a weird pulsing videotape would appear, and a slot would open in a man?s stomach. As for that stuff, I don?t particularly like watching the gross-out horrific images that Rick Baker brings to life, but I can?t deny they are perfectly crafted and better than all the CGI modern studios could muster.

I appreciate the way Videodrome kept me on the edge of my seat. It?s a tense film, made even moreso by that spooky Howard Shore score. However, as I stated, my opinion comes across as more positive because I expected to hate it so much. Truth be told, there?s a ton of things I didn?t like about the film. I hate horror, and this film was powerfully horrific in some ways. The images stuck in my mind, and made it hard to sleep after watching. The perverse sadomasochistic scene was a good time for me to look away and play a game on my phone, because from the get-go that made my skin crawl. The excessive blood and gore is something I can tolerate a bit more now, but when it feels unnecessary I could do without it. Finally, it feels like Videodrome is trying to make a point about our TV-obsessed culture, but it?s so off-the-wall and odd in the way it delivers its message, I failed to comprehend it. Therefore, while I didn?t despise my experience watching Videodrome, I also didn?t enjoy it and won?t plan on a rewatch.
August 13, 2017
No matter how many times I watch it, it doesn't get any less confusing. It's a bit pretentious, but it's got a cool message at its core. I think at least. haha The movie also sports some wild imagery.
May 16, 2017
I Like Graphic Violence.
½ May 15, 2017
Cronenberg's cult film has an absorbing, ingenious first act, but slowly dissipates into an incoherent, hallucinatory experience that has a lot to say, but not enough story or function to say it effectively.
April 27, 2017
Not as good as scanners or the fly. Weird lofi kind of film
March 23, 2017
Weird film. Good though. Love films with surrealism too so I enjoyed it. Hard to follow at times so can't rate it higher than a 3/5 but still one I enjoyed
½ February 27, 2017
A scummy television producer becomes obsessed with a pirated brainwashing snuff broadcast, leading to abdominal vagination & a new career as an assassin.
½ February 19, 2017
Idiosyncratic David Cronenberg movie on the influence of the modern media and TV in particularly on people. It's nice to see Debbie Harry in the role of a BDSM obsessed radio star.
January 6, 2017
Larga vida a la nueva carne.
½ December 27, 2016
Almost convoluted but thrilling and horrific at the same time.
December 14, 2016
This creepy 1983 movie is unlike sci fi films today, this films switches from reality to trippy mind games which grabs your attention fast but you can drown easily in confusement if you miss 1 second of detail. More movies like this should be made today.
November 22, 2016
This is a really fun, often icky body horror film with some really interesting ideas and great practical effects. I liked how Cronenberg went from a structurally conventional sci-fi horror film (Scanners) to an unconventional, provocative, and totally original body horror movie. I liked the ideas discussed in the film, I liked how unique and different it was from any horror film I've ever seen, and even when the violence got splattery, it didn't take me out of the film. It's not for everybody, but the fans of Cronenberg would cherish this audacious piece of work. I liked it a lot!