Wadjda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wadjda Reviews

May 16, 2018
Wadjda is a strong drama film which isn't too on-the-nose, but actually treating its subject matter in a more subtle way and focusing on characterization and emotion more. That final scene is the highlight as it is the perfect combination of bleak and hopeful. Haifaa al-Mansour should be admired the most for managing to direct this film so well despite facing many seemingly insurmountable obstacles in her highly misogynist society.
April 5, 2018
The first ever film shot in Saudi Arabia and even more remarkably considering that country and it's politics, the first by a woman. This is a really lovely little film, worthy of your attention. The lead girl is very likable and the relationship with her Mother is perfectly portrayed. An impossible film to sell to someone else 'Its a Saudi Arabian film about a girl who wants to buy a bike' but it's so much more than that. Give it a go, I really recommend it. I'm on an unbelievable run of good films at the moment, loving it!
October 31, 2017
Interesting and empowering.
July 3, 2017
An excellent movie!!

A great achievement considering all the obstacles that had to be tackled for it to be filmed. Also, a great story of a brave and very intelligent girl living in a very stifling environment for all men, women and childern, but nontheless, triumphant in achieving her own freedom despite everything and evryone she has to overcome to do so.
March 14, 2017
Now Wajda, wouldn't you rather donate the money to our fighting brothers in Palestine?
March 13, 2017
Wadjda is a powerful movie highlighting a young Muslim's girl drive to succeed in ways few thought possible!
December 26, 2016
Wadjda is not only a surprising milestone for being the first film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia and made by a female director, but is above all a marvelous cultural record that allows us to peek into this very unfamiliar and oppressive society in an incredibly heartfelt and absorbing way.
½ December 15, 2016
Filming and editing .. and some acting is probably a bit rough, but I can recommend this film to my mom and dad, so that is a plus.
June 11, 2016
Marvellous! Would like Emma and Lucy to watch this!
May 11, 2016
A daring movie in some respects, but all its bravery, charm and realism doesnt save it from becoming slightly dull and beige.
December 27, 2015
I loved this sweet, sad, groundbreaking movie shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, and I loved its young female star. This movie was a treat.
December 25, 2015
Beautiful and poignant.
½ September 20, 2015
Mediocre garbage; propaganda in disguise. -10/10
August 30, 2015
first saudi film shot in saudi arabia about saudi woman. is this convincible enough?
½ August 23, 2015
A delightful film - full of charm, character and meaning.
July 15, 2015
This is an amazing movie!
July 5, 2015
A film with hope and despair. hope for a change despite the despair caused by all the limitations in a life of a woman in the Saudi-Arabia. Educational in many ways and warm in its storytelling.
½ June 20, 2015
Extremely important - amazing that this movie even exists. I am in awe with Haifaa Al-Mansour, who apparently couldn't even work directly with her male crew but had to communicate via Walkie-Talkie. You go, girl.
½ June 11, 2015
I highly recommend seeing this film. I knew the hardship that women face in Saudi Arabia but seeing it first hand brings the reality home. This movie doesn't sugar coat any aspect of a woman's life in Saudi Arabia. It is a beautiful story that highlights a small triumph in an 11 year old girl's life. It is a giant win for Wadjda which you hope will be the first of many hurdles that she overcomes. I just can't believe that in this modern day that women are so captive in a society that may never change or hopefully with girls like Wadjda there will be improvements in this generation. This is a beautiful story that highlights the injustices of women in Saudi Arabia today.