Wadjda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wadjda Reviews

February 10, 2019
This first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, and by its first female film director Haifaa al-Mansour, is a thrillingly terrific trailblazer in Muslim feminism for depicting misogyny and oppression of women with a story of a tomboy determined to buy a bicycle which is perceived as a threat to a girl's virtue in her archconservative community.
½ January 6, 2019
More interesting for its social than for its cinematographical values.
½ December 26, 2018
I know, it is written in the description of the movie, in wikipedia and in many reviews already, but it is so breakthrough that we have to write it all the times we can: It was the first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia and the first feature-length film made by a female Saudi director. And what a great movie it is! It gives the western world a chance to immerse in this different culture without judgment but also without submission. The lovable title character, without even knowing it, is mounting a peaceful revolution that sooner or later is bound to happen. This film is as much important as it is touching, because we are talking about a country were women still cannot interact with men or have a fair trail, so a big thanks to Haifaa Al-Mansour.
Filmaking is art, and art will change the world, little by little, pedaling by pedaling.
May 16, 2018
Wadjda is a strong drama film which isn't too on-the-nose, but actually treating its subject matter in a more subtle way and focusing on characterization and emotion more. That final scene is the highlight as it is the perfect combination of bleak and hopeful. Haifaa al-Mansour should be admired the most for managing to direct this film so well despite facing many seemingly insurmountable obstacles in her highly misogynist society.
April 5, 2018
The first ever film shot in Saudi Arabia and even more remarkably considering that country and it's politics, the first by a woman. This is a really lovely little film, worthy of your attention. The lead girl is very likable and the relationship with her Mother is perfectly portrayed. An impossible film to sell to someone else 'Its a Saudi Arabian film about a girl who wants to buy a bike' but it's so much more than that. Give it a go, I really recommend it. I'm on an unbelievable run of good films at the moment, loving it!
October 31, 2017
Interesting and empowering.
July 3, 2017
An excellent movie!!

A great achievement considering all the obstacles that had to be tackled for it to be filmed. Also, a great story of a brave and very intelligent girl living in a very stifling environment for all men, women and childern, but nontheless, triumphant in achieving her own freedom despite everything and evryone she has to overcome to do so.
March 14, 2017
Now Wajda, wouldn't you rather donate the money to our fighting brothers in Palestine?
March 13, 2017
Wadjda is a powerful movie highlighting a young Muslim's girl drive to succeed in ways few thought possible!
December 26, 2016
Wadjda is not only a surprising milestone for being the first film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia and made by a female director, but is above all a marvelous cultural record that allows us to peek into this very unfamiliar and oppressive society in an incredibly heartfelt and absorbing way.
½ December 15, 2016
Filming and editing .. and some acting is probably a bit rough, but I can recommend this film to my mom and dad, so that is a plus.
June 11, 2016
Marvellous! Would like Emma and Lucy to watch this!
May 11, 2016
A daring movie in some respects, but all its bravery, charm and realism doesnt save it from becoming slightly dull and beige.
December 27, 2015
I loved this sweet, sad, groundbreaking movie shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, and I loved its young female star. This movie was a treat.
December 25, 2015
Beautiful and poignant.
½ September 20, 2015
Mediocre garbage; propaganda in disguise. -10/10
August 30, 2015
first saudi film shot in saudi arabia about saudi woman. is this convincible enough?
½ August 23, 2015
A delightful film - full of charm, character and meaning.
July 15, 2015
This is an amazing movie!