War Horse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Horse Reviews

September 3, 2017
Yes it's an old-fashioned style of movie, over sentimental and staged. And the editing could have been better but I still had plenty of tears flowing at the end. AAN GGN 1001
½ September 1, 2017
Overlong cutesy chlidren's fairy tale mismatched with gruesome war scenes. Maybe you might enjoy if you liked the Hobbit?
August 28, 2017
All I could think about was that poor horse!
August 18, 2017
Pretty in places...doesn't work as well as a film.
½ August 1, 2017
Such an amazing story. So moving.
½ July 24, 2017
An amazing movie for the whole family. Beautiful directing and great performances for the actors!
June 24, 2017
A spectacular and breathtaking adventure of friendship and loyalty. A heart warming and gripping movie that just takes hold of you and wont let go.
½ June 8, 2017
What can I say? After seeing movies such as Saving Private Ryan and The Hurt Locker, its hard to find a war movie that is better. Well, I think we just found one. The journey of a horse that was said to be the weakest and most out-of-control horse out there, to a strong, powerful war horse was spectacular. Steven Spielberg scores a home-run for this film. Every moment was nail-biting and I was truly nervous for Joey (the horse) at many points of this film. I felt like I was in the middle of World War I watching all of this happen, but really, I was on a cruise in the middle of the ocean. This film has certainly introduced me to many talented actors such as Jeremy Irvine and Peter Mullan, that I hadn't heard about until this film. I will show this film to my friends, my kids, my grandkids, for this movie will remain a classic and one of my favorites for the rest of my life.
April 22, 2017
Cheval de Guerre est une créature étrange, un film totalement inintéressant et un peu crétin sur l'amitié d'un cheval et l'un de ses maîtres, entrecoupé de séquences vraiment réussies qui montrent ce que le film aurait pu être si les Narracott n'avaient pas été les protagonistes principaux (très probablement un bon film). Si Jeremy Irvine est particulièrement fade, Tom Hiddlestone, Niels Arestrup (à contre-emploi) et Benedict Cumberbatch sont plutôt bons. Comme d'habitude, chez Spielberg, c'est visuellement très soigné, même si cette suite de tableaux mouvants manque parfois cruellement de rythme. En résumé, Cheval de Guerre n'est pas une expérience désagréable, mais plutôt insignifiante.
April 13, 2017
I think this is the absolute most greatest movie I have ever seen. I have a love and passion for horses and this movie goes to prove that they are loyal, majestic and intelligent creatures that will truly inspire those around them. It couldn't be more true. It definitely gets a lump in your throat from how badly some people treat these beautiful animals. But also lifts your spirits with the bond between Albert and Joey. I hope one day I will find a horse that I could share such a strong bond with. His is the perfect movie for any horse lover.
½ March 18, 2017
Only Steven Spielberg can make a movie about a boy & a horse interesting!
February 6, 2017
I absolutely understand why War Horse got the highbrow attention that it did, but I did not find it satisfying on a personal level.
December 26, 2016
Even if technically efficient, this awfully heavy-handed melodrama follows a "miraculous horse" and his inexpressive owner in an overlong journey towards making the audience cry at all costs, and so it is an overly sentimental soap opera that lacks any real sensibility.
December 24, 2016
war and horses. dead cute boys. felt worse for the horses. ugh. what's it all forrrrrrrr.
December 3, 2016
Not bad, not great. Feel-good flick, but a bit disney and it's not as affective as it wants to be.
November 24, 2016
War Horse seems more like autopilot for Spielberg than anything and one can't escape the fact that the third act seems like a copy and paste from the Little Princess.
November 17, 2016
Steven Spielberg, the master of war epics - including 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Schindler's List' and 'Empire of the Sun' - delves into the genre again, but this time focusing on World War I and the adapted tale of 'War Horse'. Whilst arguable that Spielberg tried a little too hard with the film's sentimentality, in my opinion it was used perfectly in conjunction with the plot, at just the right times, allowing even the toughest of moviegoers to become attached to Joey, the miracle horse. The film ventures into the lives of civilians, both British and French, and the frontline British and German soldiers, each time showing that despite the "allied" and "axis" labels, each side were compassionate for the animals that aided them throughout the war. Furthermore, despite the American influence on the film, it has a truly British feel to it, thus rendering its closeness to its source material. The cinematography is stunning and John Williams' score is beautiful, 'War Horse' is nothing short of a feel-good classic, if not a little too longwinded.
½ October 21, 2016
I loved this film! It is such a visually beautiful piece of filmmaking with impressive camerawork/cinematography, a well-put-together cast, not to mention a magnificent musical score by John Williams! Anyone who loves horses, or is a WWI enthusiast, or is a Spielberg fan will love this film!
½ September 14, 2016
Bored. Just don't care about horses. Sorry Granny.
August 16, 2016
Apesar dos constrangedores primeiros 45 minutos e da (muitas vezes insuportável) trilha sonora, o espectador não tem escapatória a não ser se render ao sentimenta-Spielberg-lismo do emocionante "Cavalo de Guerra". Vale destacar o impecável trabalho de som nas cenas de guerra.