War Horse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

War Horse Reviews

July 18, 2016
Always dazzling me Spielbierg, always.
July 17, 2016
Thank you, Mr. Spielberg, for giving us one of the very, very few great WW1 movies.
½ July 4, 2016
A rather clunky sentimentality fest that tries a bit too hard to tug on the heart strings and really could have done with a bit more character development. I'm sure that War Horse proved popular with a particular demographic of children but I'm not sure it would have been my cup of tea even 40 years ago. The plot is engaging enough and offers plenty of scope but the horror of World War I is somewhat sanitised even for a movie aimed at children. I'm not much of a horse lover and find it difficult to empathise with something that eats grass but found the human characters equally bland and felt that the strong cast of actors was pretty uniformly wasted. Instead of being drawn into the action, I found myself constantly looking at the screen and thinking just how wrong things felt. In particular, there are several scenes where the supposed Devonshire skies look more like Oklahoma during twister season. For me, War Horse didn't really gel in the way I had hoped it would. Maybe I'm just too old for this sort of thing?
July 4, 2016
It's long, and a bit Disney. We watched it in two halves, with supper inbetween: the second half worked better than the first. I can't help thinking it must be a good book for 11-year-olds to learn something of the Great War, but it doesn't make for a good movie as the story involves too many characters and contexts. The are some excellent actors, both human and equine, but it's all a bit dismal and simultaneously inauthentic.
June 29, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Probablemente Steven Spielberg estaba en esos días en los que se queda sin ideas, y acepta cualquier cosa. Si bien la dirección es tan buena como Spielberg nos tiene acostumbrados, la trama de esta película no es la mas interesante ni emocionante.
June 26, 2016
Watching this movie was terrifying. What they did to these poor horses through the war was mean and uncalled for. So many horses lost their lives. I am so happy that Joey got back to his owner when they were both hurt and needed one another more then ever.
June 13, 2016
A Sweeping But Slow-Paced Epic!

Originally written January 17, 2012--
Albert (Jeremy Irvine) and his beloved horse, Joey, live on a farm in the British countryside. At the outbreak of World War I, Albert and Joey are forcibly parted when Albert's father sells the horse to the British cavalry. Against the backdrop of the Great War, Joey begins an odyssey full of danger, joy and sorrow, and he transforms everyone he meets along the way. Meanwhile Albert, unable to forget his equine friend, searches the battlefields of France to find Joey and bring him home.

The latest from Steven Spielberg is good, but not great, in my opinion. I'm sure he will be nominated for a Best Director Academy Award and the film itself will be nominated for Best Picture, but I found it extremely slow-paced. Still, the cinematography was beautiful and John Williams, as ever, delivered a fantastic score. I'll give it four out of five stars.
June 10, 2016
a great film that makes you deeply care for the characters plot and throws you right into the story
½ April 21, 2016
I loved this film! It is such a visually beautiful piece of filmmaking with impressive camerawork/cinematography, a well-put-together cast, not to mention a magnificent musical score by John Williams! Anyone who loves horses, or is a WWI enthusiast, or is a Spielberg fan will love this film!
½ April 15, 2016
Spielberg likes to make semtimental films that bypass the key points and themes the films have an ability to explore. War Horse is no exception, placing a sentimental horse story above all else.
½ March 27, 2016
War Horse is both emotionally gripping and surprisingly heartfelt - and it never feels manipulative thanks to Spielberg's confident and impressive direction that he always brings to the table, regardless of the film.
March 23, 2016
While this film is a bit long, it's still an extremely emotional tale between a boy and his horse.
½ March 20, 2016
Obviously very well done. Since based on a child book, the story is disneyesque at times. The war reenactments and locations are positively stunning of realism. The story is also too excellent to be true, although we feel the danger and see much killings. The fights in France were just killing fields for able men. In reality, most war horses were used for meat at the end of the war.
March 18, 2016
A breathtaking tale of friendship. Though you could say this film is overlong, its always fascinating. Going on a journey with this horse is wonderful. Also the ending of this movie is one of the emotionally satisfying moments I've seen. I'm probably rating this movie higher than most but I stand by how much I loved this movie. It is a heartwarming and enjoyable film. Among Spielberg's best in my eyes.
February 29, 2016
War Horse: Directed by Steven Spielberg
Albert (Jeremy Irvine) enlists to serve in World War I after his horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's journey brings him out of England and to the front lines.
The cast is alright and it is visually good but did it try to hard to be a tearjerker? It's predictable and a little silly at times, it just doesn't work for me.
The film is of course based off a play and novel of the same name.
February 20, 2016
Even if technically efficient, this heavy-handed melodrama directed by Spielberg follows a "miraculous horse" and his inexpressive owner in an overlong journey towards making the audience cry at all costs, and so it is an overly sentimental soap opera that lacks any real sensibility.
½ February 7, 2016
Displaying technical prowess and some fine acting, War Horse is a mild and watchable drama - even if it doesn´t quite match Spielberg´s former feats.
½ February 6, 2016
Spielberg is a great director and he continues to make great movies like this.
February 3, 2016
Was not overly impressed with War Horse, bit I do think a large part of it is that I expect so much from Spielberg and don't have much like for glamorizing war, which I believe this movie does. The filming and cinematography is great, which I expected from Spielberg no matter how the movie turns out in the end, and the script is ok, but the acting is a bit lacking. The action could have been another Saving Private Ryan beach landing, which is something I think he could do well in a future movie, and although the scenes good looking, minutes the obvious lack of blood due to the rating, the sound effects could have been far movie intense. How I personally would have liked to see more blood and realism, but I can understand that this movie is targeted at younger audiences and this is not appropriate. How everyone spoke English also didn't go well for me. So yes there's a lot of things I didn't like here, but it's because I've seen so many of his war movies and have very high expectation of them these days, and the subject matter here simply isn't for me. However for younger kids I think this is great work.