Warm Bodies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warm Bodies Reviews

November 5, 2016
omg it was one of the best movies I want to see it again and again
November 1, 2016
Fantastic. Interesting to look at it from the zombie's perspective
October 25, 2016
A uniquely slanted and socially conscious retelling of star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet, this emo-flavored zom-rom-com penned by Isaac Marion adapted and directed by Jonathan Levine is a portrait of adolescent alienation rather than the usual zombie gore fest.

R (Nicolas Moult) has issues, he's a zombie. Merely existing with his metabolically challenged neighbours at the airport, the inexplicably self-aware R and cohort painstakingly grunt and shuffle their way through eternity in the post-apocalyptic wastelands that is North America whilst craving an ever dwindling supply of human brains that sustains not only their hunger but induces a fleeting drug-like-high from the memories contained within.

After devouring a particularly disturbed teenage boy, R is overwhelmed with feelings of love for is victim's still breathing sweetheart, Julie (Teresa Palmer). Preventing her imminent death at the mouths of his fellow dead; R brings his new light in the darkness back to his makeshift jumbo-jet home filled with a bizarre mish-mash thrift-shop worthy pop-culture memorabilia.

An unlikely romance blossoms between the odd couple, setting off a chain of events that will transform R, the undead, and maybe even the whole lifeless world. But will Julie's stubbornness lead the hordes directly into the last remaining human refuge or is there something worse to fear than your average rotting corpse?

Backed by Summit Entertainment, like their recent box office fantasy juggernaut, The Twilight Saga, Warm Bodies doesn't feel the need to explain its bastardization of subject. Its breaks from tradition are likely to disappoint genre purists but its distinctive perspective of being carried by the zombie rather than its survivors married with its lead characters internal self-mocking tenor, makes the pseudo-indie film worthwhile (well most of it - as usual the last 10 minutes need exemption).

British Hoult's expressiveness carries R, while Australian Palmers naivety does Julie justice and although their chemistry is no-existent, their faux American accents are quite believable. Their respective best friends, the brilliantly casted Rob Corddry and Analeigh Tipton bring an extra dabble of Shakespearean flavor whilst adding comic buoyancy whilst the the supremely talented John Malkovich and dreadfully funny Dave Franco were as dead as the films topic and their simply to cash a paycheck.

The Verdict: Sidestepping the glaringly obvious social issues of necrophilia, Warm bodies fuses teen drama and the ickiest (and usually un-sexiest ) form of the undead in a zombie hot pocket of guiltily tasty cinema.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 13/04/2013
October 24, 2016
This is my absolute favourite movie of all time! I love movies, I watch a new movie at the theatre every week. This one is so original and a nice modern fresh twist to a romance story with some action. 10/10 would recommend
½ October 18, 2016
I'm going to be a Debbie downer and be super honest about this movie, because apparently critics and reviewers loved it. It just, wasn't that good, at all. A lot of slow, boring moments. There was never a climax to the film, very predictable. The acting was meh, the story was generic. I think what drove me nuts is how the zombies were supposed to act, and how they started acting normal for no reason. Prime example, Nicholas Hoult's character, "R" and his best friend in the movie, "M" played by Rob Corddry shared a moment where they never actually speak, just kind mumble but as the movie progressed they're speaking full sentences? It just didn't make sense.
½ October 9, 2016
Warm Bodies is a well-made movie about an unconventional love story.
The idea from which the script starts is very out of the box, and it is carried on brilliantly throughout the whole movie.
Originality and sweetness are the words that best connotate this movie.
October 5, 2016
This movie is a guilty pleasure and not one I'd admit to except from the anonymity of the internet. It's a completely corny rom-com with zombies. The plot holes are big enough to drive through (I believe it is based on a book and probably made more sense in that format). But this film still sucks me in every time. It is well cast, well shot, has a killer soundtrack and makes a great date movie. Just remember to turn your brain off.
½ September 13, 2016
It's not funny, feels long, has slow pacing, and I hate the ending, but Teresa Palmer and Nicholas Hoult give great performances.
½ September 11, 2016
i am not really into zombie movies but there was something about this one that caught me attention. and overall it was actually pretty good. here is the twist what would happen if the affects of why you actually became a zombie were reversed. if by what nature gives us we actually were able to go back to being humans again. there is some romance.comedy.drama and some disgusting parts (zombie eating brains) but it was still entertaining.
½ August 28, 2016
A warm cuddly feeling inside.
August 21, 2016
The movie offers an interesting and refreshing take on a popular genre that rarely goes beyond the norm.
½ August 16, 2016
For a zombie romance movie, it's... decent I guess? Definitely something new, if not a bit unbelievable(then again, it is a zombies we're talking about). The whole 'love is the cure' thing is tacky as hell for me, but the movie itself isn't bad.
August 13, 2016
I don't know what film some of the raters were watching but it can't have been the same one as me. I group of 8 of us watched it and it was really brilliant. Love, horror, action, tragedy. We loved every minute. And we cried a few times too. Would recommend it to anyone. its a 12 rated film but my 8 year thoroughly enjoyed it too!!!
½ July 11, 2016
Considering just how odd the premise of the film sounds on paper, Warm Bodies turns out surprisingly great. What could have been an equally emotionally cold Twilight lookalike with zombies substituted for vampires instead feels like a John Hughes script with zombies substituted in. Writer/director Jonathan Levine adapts Isaac Morton's young adult novel with the same kind of emotional impact of his past works, and it results in a quirky film with a lot of heart and plenty of chuckle-inducing comedy. With the rules of this world set up in the film's opening, we follow along and enter the mindset of R, one particular zombie amidst thousands of others.

The decision to tell such a tale from the point-of-view of a dead corpse risen back to life, primarily through voiceover narration, is a pretty daunting one, but Nicholas Hoult infuses so much charm into his character and makes him an absolutely loveable protagonist. Working alongside Hoult is Teresa Palmer, who is as absolutely charming and adorable as she always is. Together, Hoult and Palmer share delightful chemistry, and watching their relationship unfold is absolutely charming, even if it sometimes rides the line of falling into familiar tropes of the genre. Rob Corddry is the other highlight as a fellow zombie and comedic relief: he and Hoult share some rather funny moments together. If there's one thing to complain about, the visual effects of the Bonies, a specific type of undead with more ravenous tendencies, are a bit underwhelming, but that's about it.

If you're looking for a unique romance film with a lot of heart, look no further. Hoult and Palmer's chemistry and a relentless sense of heart and charm makes Warm Bodies another bright spot on Jonathan Levine's career trajectory.
½ June 25, 2016
This is what twilight didn't have. A great cast, great storyline, etc. A new twist that's worth the price.
June 20, 2016
Awesome movie! So funny with some intense zombie action and a little romance novelty. Loved it...loved it all!
June 14, 2016
While arguably flawed, Warm Bodies unrealistic tone adds up to its charm, in this funny and sweet romantic comedy/zombie movie.
June 9, 2016
I'm not a zombie fan, but this was one awesome movie. The inner dialogue of R was hilarious. Really liked the plot too. And Nicholas Hoult (*.* LOL)
June 5, 2016
i thought it was going to be funny instead of boring. and the ending was sweet but cheesy