We Bought a Zoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Bought a Zoo Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
We Bought a Zoo features a terrific performance from Matt Damon and some melodramatic, touching family fun. At times the plot dragged on and felt to be at a standstill, but on the grand scale, it was a warm experience that anyone can find some enjoyment in
June 19, 2016
Pretty unbelievable true story. Damon played the main role very well and they were able to add the drama/family aspect to the story. Scarlett was great and a few other decent supporting actors as well.
½ June 14, 2016
They bought a zoo, and I bought this movie.
½ May 14, 2016
Saw this film first on DVD. Was exactly the right film for the evening and so good we watched it twice back to back. Just a wonderful story with the right amount of emotion and comedy to make it great.
May 14, 2016
a movie that i always love to watch. it is heartwarming and quite frankly an awesome movie in my opinion
April 27, 2016
We Bought a Zoo brings its incredible real-life story beautifully to the big screen, offering a blend of resplendent music and poignant pathos that help shine light on its fully committed cast to deliver a joyous adventure as irresistibly endearing as the animals featured throughout.
April 23, 2016
It's not perfect.

But this movie is beautiful. The music is perfection. The emotion is spot on. The acting is brilliant by the young and the old. It won't be on the list of greatest movies of all time, but it's among my very favorites because it's deep and exactly what it needs to be.

Give it a shot. You won't regret it.
March 27, 2016
Starts off strong, but takes way too long to end, and ends up tying up strings and introducing late-game problems that could have been cut.
March 18, 2016
I'm only going to take 20 seconds to write this review because you only need to be courageous for 20 seconds. I love it I loved it I loved. No other words neccessary
March 12, 2016
Adorable film suitable fior the whole family, loved a very moment of it!
½ March 5, 2016
Predictable, cliched, lazy, and melodramatic
March 4, 2016
Loved it. Touched all the right nerves and as long as you can suspend belief that Scarlet Johannson is a head zoo keeper then it's a perfect feel good movie.
½ March 2, 2016
MUM!
*what*
Where are the tissues?!
*why*
Because This movie is very sad!??
February 22, 2016
Great movie to watch with the family.
January 27, 2016
This movie is a good movie if you like animals it could be right for you. It is a true story. It was a perfect movie to see I liked it a lot. There are funny moments. So if you like seeing zoo"s and animals and if you like Matt Damon and Scarlet Johansen you should see this cool true story movie.
January 6, 2016
For me, this movie had a few issues. I think the acting was really bad in some parts. It seemed as if there were a lot of edits done for the daughter's scenes because of her acting level. Which is completely understandable, but some parts were definitely cringe-worthy. And JB Smoove was just bad. Lastly, any portrayal of romantic relationships was pretty bad, outside of one moment that we'll come back to...

That being said, I thought this movie was really FUN. The daughter was adorable, and the son was fair and really looked like Damon in some shots. There were also some pretty humorous and cute moments that drew me back in. And about the point I'd get back to... If you find yourself asking the question "Why would I watch this movie?" I'd have to say "Why not?"

Great callback for a really awesome ending.
½ January 3, 2016
I enjoyed it for the most part. It's charming, sweet, too sentimental and contrived at times, but overall good-hearted, Matt Damon is a likable screen presence and he makes a likable central character. I loved the film's optimistic attitude and good-hearted nature. The soundtracks are rather schmaltzy compared to other Cameron Crowe films, but Crowe manages to infuse feelings and laughs into the film through his well-written script, and with the help of its grade-A cast. We Bought a Zoo is no way near as good or memorable as some of Crowe's best work, but as a family-friendly holiday film, it does the job.
½ January 1, 2016
A solid three and a half stars for me with this movie, a really good family movie.
December 31, 2015
This one was recommended to me awhile back, but I never got around to it. We bought a zoo, is one of the unique dramas you can see which based on true happenings. Totally reaches out to you without any of the typical pitfalls in a true story drama. Check it out if you haven't seen it!
December 12, 2015
I love this movie!! Matt Damon is adorable, he is such a genuine, affectionate father in this movie. His portrayal of a struggling single dad, combined with his seemingly impossible vision for his family, makes this heartwarming movie one of my favorites.