Reviews

• May 29, 2022

After watching Kimi no na Wa (Your Name) from the same writer and director Makoto Shinkai, I was stunned by the amazing and realistic animation as well as the mystical romance original plot, and Weathering With You follows the same trend. Set in Tokyo with a beautiful animation that brings the city to life, we follow the story of a boy that ran from home for a better life and after finding his new job he is tasked to find out more about this strange phenomenon of a girl that is able to control the weather. The story unfolds in a very natural pace and in similar fashion to "Your Name" its intriguing premise sticks you to the screen. I have to admit that I was more moved by the romance in "Your Name" but still "Tenki no Ko", which curiously enough is set in the same Universe as the previous, is a master work in animation, great originality in writing and with just enough mysticism attached to the reality it depicts to add beauty to the story. I strongly recommend it, it's way better than your average Hollywood romance stereotypical story, it's the good kind of cheesy!

• May 21, 2022

a tear jerking movie with immense animations, songs, and just overall story it makes us truly care about the world the characters live in and i cannot wait for Makoto Shinkai future films after watching this movie

• May 18, 2022

From the overwhelming, supernatural enormity of a Tokyo submerged in rainwater to the simple beauty of a fluffy Big Mac bun, Weathering With You's animation is inspiring. Hodaka (Kotaro Daigo) has run away from his small island home for bigger things in the city. He struggles with the basic necessities of life before finally catching a break here and there and eventually falling hard for Hina (Nana Mori). Hina is a "sunshine girl" — by simply praying, she can clear the skies of rain and clouds and bring out the sun. There are a handful of cities/countries that just do it for me — it's why I gravitate towards and give chances to, works set in certain locales. Japan, and especially Tokyo, is an example — the anime style adds a different dimension altogether. Here, Tokyo is pounded with rain to the point, that by the end, much of it is submerged in water. In fact, weather is really the antagonist here, which made a wholly original plot. The run-time did go a little long, but the ending is definitely a tear-jerker, even if it's not completely satisfying.

• Apr 06, 2022

Shinkai's gift for astonishingly detailed animation continues and now with a story about runaways with a magical gift that brings up interesting questions about mankind and it's connection to nature.

• Apr 04, 2022

As per Makoto Shinkai's excellence, I'd say this one's a little underwhelming & felt its and bits of storyline plots stitched together.

• Feb 03, 2022

No podía esperar menos de quien hizo Your Name, la animación es bellísima, la historia es conmovedora y real, ¿Qué tanto estarías dispuesto a sacrificar por amor?, ¿que tan bien te hace sentir la persona a la cual amas?, esas premisas en un sentido no personal se desarrolla perfecta en este película con un final emocionantemente romántico.

• Dec 18, 2021

A beautiful story with some lovely moments. Loved it.

A beautiful story with some lovely moments. Loved it.

• Nov 21, 2021

The animation and music were superb but at times the plot felt too mature for such young protagonists. I wanted more romance or a closer bond between the main characters and it couldn't give me much. Too much of the film was spent on subplots. Overall the film is worth watching for the animation and music.

• Nov 03, 2021

The animations and artwork are gorgeous. Very smooth and fluid. It reminds me of the same aesthetic as Spirited Away. I can already tell I'm gonna cry during this lol. That opener pretty much put it into perspective. I can definitely relate to what Hodaka's going through. Coming into a new city with no job and not knowing anyone, struggling to find a new one. But luckily he makes new friends. That was really sweet how the girl working at McDonald's gave him a burger. I love the Japanese-inspired folklore within this movie. With rain spirits and heaven, fish and stuff. I also love the whole idea of how we can be connected to the sky and I love the idea of how multiple people can have the same dream at the same time. I thought it was quite beautiful how Hina ended up sacrificing herself so the weather would go back to normal and the sunshine would come out. It's a pretty heartfelt and sweet movie and you can definitely feel it and hear it through the emotionally beautiful music. The beautiful animations and artwork of the rain, nature and landscapes are the standout parts of the movie - along with Alison Brie's voice acting which was awesome. My only gripe with this movie is that I feel like the story could have been more compelling and exciting, gripping even. Especially with all the material that they had to work with. But unfortunately I feel like it kind of fell flat, lukewarm. They could have gone into more depth and detail with the lore surrounding heaven and the little rain spirit fish, but they didn't which was kind of disappointing. The music during certain points also feels like it's trying to force a certain emotion instead of complimenting what's on screen. I know it's very unfair to compare this movie with Miyazaki's movies, but if comparing this one with his body of work, it's kind of underwhelming. I know that's harsh to say, but it's just my opinion. I do want to give the movie another chance and watch it again in its original Japanese language instead of the English dub to see if it gives off a different feel. I don't know if I can agree with the message they convey at the end with the relationship between Hina and Hodaka. It's kind of wrong. Because of Hodaka saving Hina, they can be together but as a result, it means that half of Tokyo is underwater. So everyone else has to suffer and have a hard time so that Hina and Hodaka can be together? I don't really get the concept of that. It seems really selfish and childish, which makes sense I guess since they're just teenagers. Overall I thought it was a good movie that could have ended up being so much more, but oh well.

• Sep 23, 2021

This movie is Makoto Shinkai's movie that I like, love this more than your name. Destroying the climate in Japan to save a lover, the true definition of blind love.