What About Bob? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What About Bob? Reviews

August 19, 2016
Bill Murray shines best when we like his character and he seems to be not so good when playing unlikable characters. In this comedy, Murray shines because he plays the likable Bob Wiley, a schizophrenic with lots of problems and nobody to listen to them. His usual psychiatrist is on vacation when Bob meets with a new doctor whom Bob takes a liking to. His new psychiatrist however is also leaving on a trip to their summer home where the doctor will be interviewed on television. Bob can't wait for his return and soon joins up with his new doctor and family, where Bob wins the family over. This comedy works because of Murray, who is likable once again.
½ July 31, 2016
A real nightmare for anyone actually working in this area.
½ July 11, 2016
I feel so frustrated for the doctor as well, but overall what's the point of this movie? Nothing that's interesting except getting frustrated!
June 2, 2016
One of Bill Murray's best films he's ever done and while Richard Dreyfuss is one of my "take it or leave it" actors I've thought he was great as the psychologist and really steals the show in the movie, who can't help but love the dinner scene with Bill Murray being emotional with all the food that he's eating?
½ April 1, 2016
Bill Murray is so annoying in this film, right from the start to the end you want to cringe. Even his make-up plastered on like he was a burns victim looks ridiculous. Richard Dreyfuss isn't much better, but you are supposed to not side with him, I couldn't help it. It was nice to see Julie Hagerty, who really is a funny actress. This is not very funny, predictable, but mostly annoying. Thankfully Bill Murray was rescued by Wes Anderson around this time.
March 27, 2016
possibly my favorite film of all time. I never get tired of it.
½ March 23, 2016
92%
Hilarious to no end, What About Bob? is simply a must-watch comedy for all Bill Murray lovers.

V: 67%
February 2, 2016
I have watched this movie at least 50 times, and somehow it gets funnier with each watch, as I pick up on different things each time! Eccentric, unique, bizarre, brilliant! Acting is incredible. HILARIOUS!
½ December 22, 2015
It's one of those comedies that can be frustrating for the viewer. Instead of enjoying the woes of the doctor, I just felt sorry for him. At the same time, he frustrated me with the decisions he made. Why wouldn't he just call the cops and get a restraining order against Bob? I know I'm overthinking a goofy comedy, but it was difficult for me to enjoy this. All the characters are quite annoying. I can see why some enjoy this, but it wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
½ December 16, 2015
I'm on vacation.

A famous psychiatrist who has received national recognition for a book he wrote has taken on a new, unique patient, Bob that is hesitant to travel in cars, buses, planes, boats, etc. When the psychiatrist decides to take a vacation, Bob suffers some anxiety due to the separation and tracks the psychiatrist down. Meanwhile, the family of the psychiatrist is getting sick of the rigid nature of the doctor. Despite the psychiatrist's reservations, Bob joining the vacation may be what's best for both of them.

"Maybe it's time for Bob to sing his way home."

Frank Oz, director of The Dark Crystal, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Little Shop of Horrors, Housesitter, Bowfinger, The Score, Stepford Wives, and Death at a Funeral, delivers What About Bob. The storyline for this picture is ridiculous but fun in a Scrooged kind of way. The acting is perfect for the content and the cast includes Bill Murray, Richard Dreyfus, Julie Hagerty, Charlie Korsmo, and Kathryn Erbe.

"It feels right because you're here and it feels right because you're leaving."

I watched this a million times on cable growing up (it was always on HBO) and recently came across this on Showtime Anytime and decided to give it a viewing for the first time in a long time. Overall, this is a nice addition to the comedy genre. It isn't perfect or an all time classic that needs to be in your DVD collection, but it is worth an occasional viewing and does have some repeat watching value.

"I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful."

Grade: C+/B-
December 9, 2015
good movie. It had me laughing, especially the part when he first meets the doctor and fakes touretts.
December 5, 2015
Great comedy, very funny and likable throughout. An old favorite.
November 30, 2015
This unquestionably dark but justifiably hilarious butting of heads owes its great success to the committedly silly performances of Murray and Dreyfus. Bob is obviously the one we're rooting for, but what's so interesting is that Leo is totally right about Bob's mental state and his own weariness of him. We can easily place ourselves in Leo's unraveling sanity as Bob inexplicably endears himself to everyone around him, as we uncontrollably laugh all the while to the nut house.
November 25, 2015
One of the greatest movies from my childhood! Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss are perfect together
½ November 15, 2015
A predictable comedy of a familiar premise made well thanks to Bill Murray and the ensemble.
November 15, 2015
Overall fun; feel good comedy
½ November 6, 2015
Still hilarious in 2015! Dreyfuss and Murray are superb!
October 26, 2015
Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss are entertaining to watch in this melodramatic comedy.
October 10, 2015
This is such a funny movie! The dinner scene and the morning scene are the funniest. Definately Bill Murray's best movie.