Where the Truth Lies Reviews

• Jan 20, 2019

1.20.19 dvd @ home w/Sh & J

1.20.19 dvd @ home w/Sh & J

• Sep 26, 2018

This got my head spinning about half way through as the plot was to heavy even Poirot would have trouble working it all out. I stuck with it and there was a little twist at the end with Alison Lohman playing Miss Marples. Odd scene with Colin Firth trying to enter Kevin Bacons rear passage in a weird threesome. Bacon didn't like that. I read Alison Lohman took some stick for her performance but she was fine. It passed me by , I forgot this soon after watching. What were that duo Firth and Bacon? Like Ant and Dec? I dunno really.

• Sep 10, 2017

Could have been better without the flat, uninspired performance of Alison Lohman. A decent whodunnit that was worth sitting thru for the twist ending. Irony in the title, it becomes apparent.

• Mar 13, 2017

Potentially "exciting" for repressed US audiences, but thoroughly dull for the rest of the world. I didn't care about any of the self-indulgent characters or what happened to them. Didn't even care about the blackmailing "victim". Waste of time.

• Jan 22, 2016

Written and directed by Atom Egoyan (The Sweet Hereafter (1997), Felicia's Journey (1999) and Devil's Knot (2013)), and adapted from Rupert Holmes' 2003 novel. This dark erotic thriller is heavily inspired by the plotting of Citizen Kane (1941), although the plot here is quite unbeliveable and despite the best efforts of the two inspired leads, despite it painting a labyrinthine whodunnit, it feels derivative. In 1957, entertainers Lanny Morris (Kevin Bacon) and Vince Collins (Colin Firth) are at the top of their game, and after hosting a marathon 39-hour-long polio telethon in Miami, head to a hotel in New Jersey where student Maureen O'Flaherty (Rachel Blanchard) is found dead in a bathtub. Even though they had nothing to do with the death, Lanny and Vince dissolve their partnership. 15 years later, writer Karen O'Connor (Alison Lohman) has accepted an offer to ghostwrite Vince's autobiography, but she gets sent chapters from a book that Lanny has been writing, and it's though this that she discovers what really happened to Maureen O'Flaherty. It's a good idea for a film, but it flits too much between 1957 and 1972, and the scenes with Firth and Bacon doing comedy schtick as the two entertainers is the best, and it should have focused more on that, and despite Egoyan's best efforts, as he relishes on tales of dark human nature and desires, it doesn't feel right.

• Nov 13, 2015

Hard to follow at times and something just seemed off.

Hard to follow at times and something just seemed off.

• Aug 14, 2015

Tells a story that's not interesting enough to really care about.

Tells a story that's not interesting enough to really care about.

• May 26, 2015

Not sure why, but I found this to be very interesting. I wouldn't consider Alison Lohmans acting good, but she isn't 'badly miscast'. Maybe this is just because she is goddamn gorgeous. Also Kevin Bacon is the perfect pervert (lol).

• Dec 18, 2014

Normally I love Colin Firth, but this film just doesn't make it, perhaps because Alison Lohman is soooooo bad.

• Jul 17, 2014

Alison Lohman is wonderful. Parts of this movie are great.

Alison Lohman is wonderful. Parts of this movie are great.