Whity Reviews

• Mar 26, 2013

si algo tiene el filme, es una muy bonita fotografía, además de que Fassbinder aprovecha muy bien las locaciones de famosos westerns para hacernos entender la soledad y tristeza de todos los personajes. Es un filme donde la cámara se mueve poco, donde los actores dramatizan tanto y otras veces quedan callados...y me parece el adecuado filme para acercarse a Fassbinder. No fué mucho de mi agrado, pero me permitió conocer a este interesante director.

• Aug 26, 2012

An off-beat Brecht like take on the western. It's not a great film but it is perhaps one of the more interesting foreign films I have seen. Excellent cinematography and production design.

• Dec 15, 2009

I want to like Fassbinder. But like Guy Maddin, he makes films that are visually striking but desperately in need of a good writer. The cinematography is amazing, particularly the use of lighting and color. But the story is a sophomoric look at racism, complete with "ironic" black-face and white-face (and blue-face). I don't like Westerns to begin with, and I certainly don't like German melodramatic Westerns. I usually hate the term "artsy-fartsy," but in this case it applies.

• Oct 07, 2009

A western with German as spoken language, theatrical scenes, including mask-like makeup, a wonderful film which should be more famous than it is.

• Jul 28, 2009

This Movie is the perfect Perfomance of a Southern Patriarchs House they wealthy but disastrous the Patriarch is a mean Facsist who don't give a Fuck about anybody else his Wife is depressed and abject one Son is Gay and bored one his retarded and the Third Son is his Slave which Monster hold his own Son as a Slave Whity is typical Uncle Tom serving his Master don't ever say a bad Word to him and do anything he wants but everything has a End sometime in this Movie you really feel this disturbing Audience, a really nonconform Western and one of Fassinders best Movies

• Apr 27, 2009

Ohhh I love this movie. One of the weirdest genres to date. A German Western about racism, family dysfunction, social acceptance, xenophobia, and the craving of complete difference. All shot in a Spaghetti Western style with some wickedly stylish shots of our foreign hero. Such a fun watch.

• Mar 16, 2009

Fassbinder makes a western (?), like a set in the late 1800's in America western about racism, the family unit, xenophobia, etc. I should've taken a pass, by far my lest favorite of his films.

• Jan 03, 2009

A genre that never caught on, "The Schnitzel Western." And what a shame, this movie is a bizarre look at racism, class, sexuality and submission. The Nicholsons are probably one of the most dysfunctional families you'll find on film.

• Oct 27, 2008

probably the weirdest movie I've ever seen about racism come out of Europe - it's half western and half f*cked-in-the-head satire that makes Spike Lee look like Fraggle Rock. I don't exactly reccomend it, but I wouldn't stop you from taking the chance, not for a moment.

• Aug 31, 2008

A German western! dealing with issues of racism and the dyfunctional family from hell. Great camera work and staging are great, which is typical for Fassbinder but its definetly one of his most bizarre films. One of Fassbinder's more underappreciated fims.