Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Reviews

July 22, 2017
While home sick from school one day, a 12-year-old with no sense of humour saw half an episode of Bugs Bunny and a trailer for The Big Sleep and had a brilliant idea. One of the most annoying movies I've seen in a good while. I don't get how you can go to all the trouble of making a loving tribute to Looney Tunes cartoons and film noir while so fundamentally misunderstanding what makes them work.
July 21, 2017
It's hard to say what I love most about "Roger Rabbit"-is it the deconstruction of film noir, the genre's usual chiaroscuro replaced here with the brightest color palette possible? is it the pungent critique of suburban sprawl and the acceleration of pedestrian life? For all its sophistication as a work of nostalgia and technical achievement, what stands out most still today is simply Jessica Rabbit, the femme fatale drawn to be drawn to.
July 12, 2017
One of my favorites, a movie that wasn't aware of its own comic / cartoon limitations and became the most compelling murder mystery of the late 1980s, not to mention a satire, a visual effects masterpiece and a great comedic peak of the 20th century. Personal favorites? Hard to choose from between Christopher Lloyd going against type and playing a ghoul, Jessica Rabbit's uncomfortably sexy moments that made you second guess what the hell you were watching, and just the nostalgic novelty of watching "retired" cartoon characters update you on the continuing saga of their lives. It's hard to find a movie that's both a sentimental favorite, as a proverbial child looking forward to Saturday morning cartoons, as well as a movie that's nuanced enough for adults. The fact that you forget the technical wizardly within minutes of the credits, it's an ode to Zemeckis' talent.
½ July 5, 2017
A work of sheer movie magic, but not the type of magic that can be expressed in words or music; this has to be seen to be felt or believed! It's enchanting, fun, and endlessly entertaining from the word 'go'.
July 2, 2017
The best movie of all time.
June 25, 2017
I love this movie a lot. One of my all-time favorites, and will be forever. The story is great, the animation is really good, the cast does a wonderful job acting and voice acting, and I love the live-action/animation concept.

To sum it up, this movie is the bomb.
June 23, 2017
Well animated, funny, and well acted, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? has aged like fine wine.
June 19, 2017
The originality of this movie alone make it worth the watch.
½ May 14, 2017
Love this movie. There really hasn't been another movie like it. Still holds up in 2017
May 14, 2017
Honk! Honk! Here comes Benny the Cab, we're racing through ToonTown -- along the way is Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Daffy, Bugs, Pepe, Yosemite, Dwarves, Dumbo, Broomsticks, and so many more. For the first time ever, we're seeing Disney and Warner Brothers characters in the same film, and oh my what a funtastic treat more delectable than a bowl of colorful sweet candy. Also, though not the first time, we are seeing the most sophisticated blend of live action and cell animation, the likes of which Gene Kelly and Jerry, or Pete's Dragon couldn't dream of.

The film happens to be about a conflict between toons and humans, a slight allegory to racial tensions amongst people. A toon, legendary film actor Roger Rabbit, is accused of killing a person - that's about as sensitive as a black man killing a white woman. Private Investigator Eddie Valiant is tasked with the job of finding out whether or not any of it is true. A conspiracy against Rabbit begins to unveil that has us suspecting several players, including his wife Jessica, and the man who tasked Valiant to begin with. But it's clear there's one man in town who hates toons above all else, Christopher Lloyd's phony toothed, wild eyed Judge Doom.

The film maintains consistent whimsicality, even with darker story points, like Eddie's dead brother killed by a falling piano! Jokes about extramarital affairs are treated not with sex, but a game of Patty Cake, which has Roger bawling in despair. Yet there's no shortage of sexuality either; Jessica Rabbit is the ultimate cartoon sex symbol. One memory that stuck out in the long span between viewings was the violent third act in which Doom gets flattened by a cement roller, only to reveal he can outlandishly pump himself back up - then we see those crazy googly eyes, and we learn he's been a toon all along, the "I hate my own kind" villain. Again, everything is done with a slapstick sense of humor so that violence amongst humans looks similar to a cartoon.

Along the way we're treated to delightful cross-promotional pairings, such as Daffy and Donald Duck on the dueling pianos, or Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny sky diving beside free-falling Valiant. Most of the famous voice actors are reprising their roles, including the legendary Mel Blanc (Daffy, Tweety, Bugs, Sylvester, Porky), credited with 1,142 works, just one year before his death. Nobody is dancing around the rights here, we feel the total authenticity of these characters, thanks in part to Steven Spielberg's solid communication with Warner. It's as special as seeing any great ensemble cast, which is pretty incredible when you think that only our imagination makes them real. The end ensemble of the cartoon universe is very special for any enthusiast. To some it will just be a bunch of drawn up nonsense, to others it's a symbol of unity and breaking the borders of ownership.
May 13, 2017
10 out of 10:

Smart, funny, fast paced, and a great way to bring animation to the live action world, Who Framed Roger Rabbit still remains as an influential film that inspired others to make their own versions.
April 30, 2017
It was a technological achievement at its time of release and the VFX still hold up, but is really just an excuse to bring together dozens of cartoon characters together.
April 11, 2017
Time to suspend your disbelief and take a wild and wonderful ride into a world of superbly blended cartoon animation and live action that is a joy from start to finish.
April 1, 2017
This is a really good movie and at the same time classical
½ March 31, 2017
I've never read Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, the novel on which the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was based, nor do I have much interest in reading it. How was this meant for anything other than a blend of live-action and animation? Good thing this was done well, the first time. All of the characters, regardless of how they were conceived, look like they belong in the single setting of 1940s Los Angeles, bordering Toontown, home to all of the toons. It's such an aesthetical delight, and with the film noir-style of storytelling, there's an edge of darkness that allows Who Framed Roger Rabbit to be enjoyable for all ages. Heck, children may be the most inappropriate audience; not like the Looney Tunes were intended for children, anyway. If you have ever seen a film noir -- my most recent excursions were The Third Man and Chinatown -- you will surely see influences riddled throughout the plot and characters. Not exactly the best, but, for a movie whose main gimmick is live-action and cartoons together, it holds up exceptionally well. And gosh, is it funny. The writers and animators deserve most of the credit for that, recreating the many beloved characters of the golden age of animation AND their jokes. The best jokes. The ones not beholden to their era. Bugs Bunny, as an example, may be modeled after Groucho Marx, but he would also do impersonations of other famous contemporary celebrities. This film avoids that altogether (with the exception of the Singing Sword, as played by Frank Sinatra), instead opting for non-stop lunacy. For standout acting, Bob Hoskins as Detective Eddie Valiant and Charles Fleischer as seasoned actor Roger Rabbit rank highest for their on-screen chemistry, despite never actually being on screen together, as well as the emotional heights they explore without ever forgetting how much fun they can have in a world full of toons.

I leave you with a personal vendetta: However you might feel about Space Jam, Who Framed Roger Rabbit beats it in every respect. The animation is crisper and more delightful here. Bob Hoskins is a MUCH better actor than Michael Jordan, especially when looking like he's genuinely interacting with the cartoons. Roger and Jessica Rabbit have a sweet and silly romance worth caring about, unlike the perversion of Bugs towards Lola Bunny. And the stakes are so much higher in Who Framed Roger Rabbit! Toontown might get destroyed by the corporate world! NO! Only one person can solve the case: a man whose brother was killed by a toon. SPOILER: Drinking problem goes away, once Eddie happily works with a toon again. No surprises here, other than quality cinema.
March 30, 2017
Where else can you see 2 ducks duel on pianos.
March 29, 2017
With fantastic visual effects and an entertaining and creative narrative, Who Framed Roger Rabbit dazzles the senses being artistically pleasing and delivers plenty of laughs----and of course benefits from terrific performances including Christopher Lloyd's engaging and brilliant villainous performance.
March 25, 2017
Smart, funny and perfectly casted. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a great combination between mystery, comedy and fantasy with Bob Hoskins at his very finest
February 25, 2017
A great family comedy, which is still fantastic to watch today. I'm still waiting for the sequels to come or more films featuring Roger Rabbit with his "P-p-please".
February 21, 2017
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a film that blends elements of mystery and humour with excellent results. An alcoholic detective who doesn't work for anthropomorphic cartoons after one killed his brother who has to find the man who killed a famous inventor and prove the innocence of a rabbit who is the no. 1 suspect because of his poor acting fearing that his wife was having an affair and killing the guy as a result. Sounds like a complex story, right? Actually, it's pretty easy to follow for kids ages 8 and up. The mix of live action and animation is pretty groundbreaking and actually seems to have been able to stand the test of time. Bob Hoskins pulls off a great performance as Eddie Valiant, Christopher Lloyd makes for an appropriately sinister villain and the titular character will entertain the kiddies. Oh, and let's not forget the seductiveness of Jessica Rabbit. Come on, you probably had a "thing" for her before. Robert Zemeckis did a bang up job of this and to this day remains a classic that will be remembered for its technical innovation.