Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Reviews

November 14, 2017
Smart, funny and highly entertaining. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a great and innovative combination of mystery, comedy and fantasy with Bob Hoskins at his very finest
October 25, 2017
a classic Robert Zemeckis movie, this is one of my favorite movie ever
September 17, 2017
Love this movie always a classic
½ August 14, 2017
What can one say I loved this movie especially when they entered Toonland, chased by the evil cartoon. But I do not want to say anymore except
"Pattycakes Pattycakes Pattycakes....
August 10, 2017
While not being exactly being the deepest Disney film, this film takes you on a ride and is enjoyable from beginning to end.
½ August 7, 2017
This is one of the best animated films of all time. with animation and acting that makes it look real and great story everyone should go see this fun movie.
August 6, 2017
This is a very entertaining movie with an amazing mixture of live action and animation.
July 22, 2017
While home sick from school one day, a 12-year-old with no sense of humour saw half an episode of Bugs Bunny and a trailer for The Big Sleep and had a brilliant idea. One of the most annoying movies I've seen in a good while. I don't get how you can go to all the trouble of making a loving tribute to Looney Tunes cartoons and film noir while so fundamentally misunderstanding what makes them work.
July 21, 2017
It's hard to say what I love most about "Roger Rabbit"-is it the deconstruction of film noir, the genre's usual chiaroscuro replaced here with the brightest color palette possible? is it the pungent critique of suburban sprawl and the acceleration of pedestrian life? For all its sophistication as a work of nostalgia and technical achievement, what stands out most still today is simply Jessica Rabbit, the femme fatale drawn to be drawn to.
July 12, 2017
One of my favorites, a movie that wasn't aware of its own comic / cartoon limitations and became the most compelling murder mystery of the late 1980s, not to mention a satire, a visual effects masterpiece and a great comedic peak of the 20th century. Personal favorites? Hard to choose from between Christopher Lloyd going against type and playing a ghoul, Jessica Rabbit's uncomfortably sexy moments that made you second guess what the hell you were watching, and just the nostalgic novelty of watching "retired" cartoon characters update you on the continuing saga of their lives. It's hard to find a movie that's both a sentimental favorite, as a proverbial child looking forward to Saturday morning cartoons, as well as a movie that's nuanced enough for adults. The fact that you forget the technical wizardly within minutes of the credits, it's an ode to Zemeckis' talent.
½ July 5, 2017
A work of sheer movie magic, but not the type of magic that can be expressed in words or music; this has to be seen to be felt or believed! It's enchanting, fun, and endlessly entertaining from the word 'go'.
July 2, 2017
The best movie of all time.
June 25, 2017
I love this movie a lot. One of my all-time favorites, and will be forever. The story is great, the animation is really good, the cast does a wonderful job acting and voice acting, and I love the live-action/animation concept.

To sum it up, this movie is the bomb.
June 23, 2017
Well animated, funny, and well acted, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? has aged like fine wine.
June 19, 2017
The originality of this movie alone make it worth the watch.
½ May 14, 2017
Love this movie. There really hasn't been another movie like it. Still holds up in 2017
May 14, 2017
Honk! Honk! Here comes Benny the Cab, we're racing through ToonTown -- along the way is Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Daffy, Bugs, Pepe, Yosemite, Dwarves, Dumbo, Broomsticks, and so many more. For the first time ever, we're seeing Disney and Warner Brothers characters in the same film, and oh my what a funtastic treat more delectable than a bowl of colorful sweet candy. Also, though not the first time, we are seeing the most sophisticated blend of live action and cell animation, the likes of which Gene Kelly and Jerry, or Pete's Dragon couldn't dream of.

The film happens to be about a conflict between toons and humans, a slight allegory to racial tensions amongst people. A toon, legendary film actor Roger Rabbit, is accused of killing a person - that's about as sensitive as a black man killing a white woman. Private Investigator Eddie Valiant is tasked with the job of finding out whether or not any of it is true. A conspiracy against Rabbit begins to unveil that has us suspecting several players, including his wife Jessica, and the man who tasked Valiant to begin with. But it's clear there's one man in town who hates toons above all else, Christopher Lloyd's phony toothed, wild eyed Judge Doom.

The film maintains consistent whimsicality, even with darker story points, like Eddie's dead brother killed by a falling piano! Jokes about extramarital affairs are treated not with sex, but a game of Patty Cake, which has Roger bawling in despair. Yet there's no shortage of sexuality either; Jessica Rabbit is the ultimate cartoon sex symbol. One memory that stuck out in the long span between viewings was the violent third act in which Doom gets flattened by a cement roller, only to reveal he can outlandishly pump himself back up - then we see those crazy googly eyes, and we learn he's been a toon all along, the "I hate my own kind" villain. Again, everything is done with a slapstick sense of humor so that violence amongst humans looks similar to a cartoon.

Along the way we're treated to delightful cross-promotional pairings, such as Daffy and Donald Duck on the dueling pianos, or Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny sky diving beside free-falling Valiant. Most of the famous voice actors are reprising their roles, including the legendary Mel Blanc (Daffy, Tweety, Bugs, Sylvester, Porky), credited with 1,142 works, just one year before his death. Nobody is dancing around the rights here, we feel the total authenticity of these characters, thanks in part to Steven Spielberg's solid communication with Warner. It's as special as seeing any great ensemble cast, which is pretty incredible when you think that only our imagination makes them real. The end ensemble of the cartoon universe is very special for any enthusiast. To some it will just be a bunch of drawn up nonsense, to others it's a symbol of unity and breaking the borders of ownership.
May 13, 2017
10 out of 10:

Smart, funny, fast paced, and a great way to bring animation to the live action world, Who Framed Roger Rabbit still remains as an influential film that inspired others to make their own versions.
April 30, 2017
It was a technological achievement at its time of release and the VFX still hold up, but is really just an excuse to bring together dozens of cartoon characters together.
April 11, 2017
Time to suspend your disbelief and take a wild and wonderful ride into a world of superbly blended cartoon animation and live action that is a joy from start to finish.