Wide Open Spaces Reviews

• Oct 01, 2011

Never saw the '95 version so I'll draw no comparisons. Wide Open Spaces was a rather interesting type of film. I guess it would fall under buddy-comedy, but that's not where the heart of the film was. It was cool seeing a completely Irish-produced movie, set in Ireland with all Irish film-makers. I assume the script incorporated themes common to human thought, but more specifically Irish thought. The story certainly had an existential flavour to it, with Myles constantly worrying about his directionless lifestyle and lack of self-fulfillment. Both Ewen Bremner and Ardal O'Hanlon put on some good performances and managed to make a good duo. Bremner was great as playing the optimistic goofball with O'Hanlol as his counterpart, the grim realist. The plot itself felt rather empty with it's little sub-plots, but there were some entertaining scenes. On the other hand, that emptiness contributed to the theme of the film as a whole. Overall not a spectacular picture, but not absolute rubbish.

• Oct 31, 2009

If only film makers could always exploit the fact that they have a decent cast, none of us would ever regret spending a few quid to rent a dvd for the evening. While there were some positives for this film ... the cast, the setting, to name a few, neither of these were used effectively. While i was expecting a comedy, it wasn't really what i got from it. In fact there were very few laughs. Although visually there were a few giggles, there were very few punch-lines and the full hour and twenty-something minutes was spent waiting for the killer line that would have me rolling around the floor in fits of laughter. That didn't materialise. The one of the central aspects of the story was the building of a famine theme park. The idea sounds funny, but again, it wasn't fully exploited. Pity.