Wild Strawberries - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Strawberries Reviews

July 11, 2016
88%
Saw this on 10/7/16
The most realistic and least pretentious film from Bergam and clearly his best from what I've seen thus far. The film combines nostalgia, dread, emotions, reflections on life, beautiful cinematography with memorable scenes and fine performances, especially from Victor Sjostorm in his last screen appearance.
July 8, 2016
One of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, Bergman writes a great story and he invites you to take a trip of life with an old man.
July 5, 2016
A different kind of road trip movie.
June 29, 2016
Wild Strawberries finds writer-director Ingmar Bergman at his most eloquent, gracious and sentimental in this road trip about an elderly doctor reminiscing about the past and engaging in existencial dialogues.
Antonius Block
½ April 15, 2016
This is a quiet film, with an old man reflecting back on his life as he travels to an awards ceremony with his daughter-in-law. It may sound too sedate to hold one's interest, but it does. Through dream sequences filled with symbolism and dialog with people he meets along the way, we get a picture painted of his life, its key moments, and how he evolved over time. We see the common thread - his serious, intelligent, considerate, yet cool and judgmental personality - and how that made him a very successful doctor, but created difficulties in his personal life. We see how he lost the real love of his life when she was picking wild strawberries and his own more passionate brother pursued her, and how his subsequent marriage to another was plagued with strife and his wife's infidelity. We see how this carried down to his son, his unhappy childhood, his depression, and the difficulty he has in his own marriage. We also see the perils of old age, seeing death coming, being sentimental, and fearing becoming obsolete. We see that despite his brilliant career and the very prestigious award he's just been given, the most meaningful, happy moment in his life was simply fishing on a peaceful day with his father, a sentiment which has a 'Rosebud' feel to it.

The film is not heavy or hard to watch and just enjoy Bergman's storytelling, but at the same time it does have a weightiness to it - in recalling the soul-crushing moments of sadness in life, in his sentimental reflections of his childhood, in his weighing in on two younger men's debate about God's existence ("I see His traces wherever flowers bloom"), and as he thinks about his mortality. Some comic relief is provided in his relationship with housekeeper, who brings a smile when she leaves her door ajar as she goes to bed in case he "wants anything", after having bickered with him for the entire movie (and presumably decades of their lives).

I don't see the film as being optimistic or pessimistic, or as much 'warmer' than his other work, though other viewers certainly seem to and there are moments of charm, such as when the young woman of the three he gives a ride to talks to him, asks him for advice, and sweetly says she loves him as they part. Bibi Andersson played both this role and the role of the girl in the strawberry patch that he lost, which has a certain symmetry and renewal to it. However, I think the movie is realistic and balanced, with just as much bittersweetness as sweetness - even the married couple they nearly get into a car accident with make endless snide comments about one another - and its genius is in showing us truths about life that are common to us all.

While the movie doesn't preach or overtly push a message, you realize just how hard it is to lead a virtuous, positive life without regrets - and reflect on your own life, where you place priorities, how you treat people, whether you appreciate the small moments, or recognize the pivotal ones - all the things that you will probably remember at the end. Great art does this, spur reflection, and that's the case with 'Wild Strawberries'. Don't believe all the hype, but at the same time, don't be intimidated either - this would be a good one to see.
April 3, 2016
The most impressive feat of this film? The transitions in tone. Ingmar Bergman moves from the dark and dreary tone of the Professor's first dream; meditating on how he is unwilling to deal with the inevitable end of his life, to a jaunty and quite hilarious exchange with his lovely housekeeper, played marvelously by Jullan Kindahl.

This is a fantastic film with a lot to say, even if it not all of it comes across as prominently as others. Victor Sjöström delivers the performance of a lifetime, and Ingmar Bergman directs this film with fine and precise direction. Masterful storytelling from top-to-bottom.
January 3, 2016
Um road movie feito de memrias, afetos e acerto de contas com o passado.
December 26, 2015
It isn't an easy watch, but this film is an insightful look at relationships, family, and death. It uses symbolisms and situations of the protagonist to be one of the most resonating movies ever.
November 13, 2015
It's always a pleasure watching Bergman. The shot's are lovely, the story are often open for interpretations and the girls always look nice.

This film got a pretty gentle plot. We follow a old man as he takes a ride in a car, driven by his son's girlfriend. He dozes of at times and we takes trip down his memory lane. Dreams, some weirder than others, are mixed with their trip that also seem connectable with the dreams. It's probably the dreams that are the main plot here, but we are served more than one story here. That's a nice touch from an rather old film.

Not my favorite Bergman, but it's poetic imagery and some scenes makes it impossible to forget. Like most Bergman flicks it's definietly a "grower" and I'm glad I saw it.

8.5 out of 10 memories.
½ October 25, 2015
Bergman's critics often claim that he's too cynical, too pessimistic, that his work is too cold and calculating for a viewer to have any legitimate connection with; these people can't have seen Wild Strawberries as it renders that criticism completely moot. A sentimental story of an elderly man reaching the end of his life while looking back on it, Wild Strawberries is a film more traditional than Bergman's known for, sweet, funny, and emotionally affecting in a way that most of his work intentionally avoids.

His signature themes are at play here (existentialism, an awareness of death, religion), but this specific story allows him to move into territory he had not explored previously. Nightmarish dream sequences inform the life of Isak Borg, warning him of his impending death and forcing him into bouts of nostalgia. His story addresses ideas that deal with how life can turn kind people into cruel cynics, how single events completely change a person's trajectory, the guilt associated with devoting your life to a single path and the fear that you've wasted it all in the process, how life's greater mysteries remain even after a lifetime of living, and how we gloss over bad memories in order to coddle ourselves as we move forward. These themes are heady, but coalesce into a genuinely moving portrait of an old man who's going through what all people must go through eventually, a quietly brilliant piece of heartfelt filmmaking from a director known for dealing more with the cerebral but capable of adeptly addressing all aspects of the human experience.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Wild Strawberries is a pensive film, and has a rustic charm to it, but is never overly sentimental. The film is bittersweet, but is not the bitter melancholy of other films such as Winter Light. As with other Bergman films, Wild Strawberries features very good acting and gorgeous black-and-white. It is a film that is easy to recommend.
September 17, 2015
Ingmar Bergman is the cinema's black angel of death. You won't be able to think of Strawberries quite the same again. Hold on to that youth, guys. Just hold on.
September 12, 2015
My Bergman viewing continues. Really liked this. The lead does a great job and it's an emotional, touching story.
½ September 3, 2015
Heart breaking, staggering, and affirming.
July 17, 2015
Grande retrato da velhice e dos impactos que nossas escolhas podem ter em nossas vidas.
June 26, 2015
A mysterious and haunting portrayal of accepting the end of life, executed brilliantly with tremendous lead performances, beautiful black and white cinematography, and some of the best dream sequences in film history. a few weak side characters.
June 17, 2015
This is an exceptionally sweet movie with valuable introspection.
½ April 22, 2015
This is not without it's charm, it's almost like a abstract version of a christmas carol, where this old Swede who's all grumpy and stubborn finds that a visit to his childhood home where he relives his youth through a dreamlike set of memories gives him a fresh perspective. It's witty in places and nicely shot but I found it difficult to get into; I guess that it just didn't grab me.
March 18, 2015
Emotionally honest but avoiding sentimentality, Bergman's warm, humanist drama charts the spiritual odyssey of an emotionally arid old man recollecting his youth while inspiring luminous reflection on life. Simply put, it's one of the most universally reaching dramas ever put to celluloid.