Wildlife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wildlife Reviews

½ January 22, 2019
It's a good debut movie. But it's also boring...rather mundane about the extramarital affair. The excellent acting of the young actor who played the son really saved this movie. I'd recommend watching it with boxxy software app.
January 21, 2019
Carey Mulligan ruined the movie, not her necessarily but her character i was left there sitting and hating her, questioning the things she was doing, it just seemed like a very weak women role....like he wasn't even gone that long and already hating and having an affair wtf...?
January 21, 2019
My 3 cents
I think it was disconcerting to have attractive charismatic movie stars playing people who are a little dopey with small frustrated lives. But given that premise, I loved watching the tiny details of how everything in their lives disintegrated bit by bit. He should've been squelching her passion instead forest fires and trying to stubbornly prove something about himself. There is a tough ambiguity in the fact that she became a real harpy as he was trying to do a good thing for the the wrong reasons. It definitely leaves the audience struggling for where their sympathies should lie. The kid is a little bit of a stand-in for the audience who is just as confused. It is also his coming-of-age story.
Bill Camp as the seducer is one of my favorite actors. He takes on big and small role in theater and film. I thought he was fabulous walking the edge between taking advantage of a situation and just being a complete asshole.
It's hard to relax in a movie where everybody is unlikable. But I loved acting, the silences, and the cinematography and the discomfort of inhabiting a world I don't know and having to judge these dubious characters w/o much guidance.
I prefer to squirm than to cheer; it's more like life.
January 20, 2019
it's the quiet ones that make the most noise.
deeply affecting
½ January 18, 2019
Solid directorial debut from Paul Dano.
½ January 18, 2019
So rare to see real characters. We often take sides according to our own prejudices, despite my own, I found this difficult. I do not have my own family, yet found my yearning for one, at 41, grow through the pain and joy of all these people.
½ January 18, 2019
Wildlife has its weaker scenes which are either slow, unnecessary or soapy. But it's still a pretty solid, mostly very realistic period drama with some emotional moments, strong dialogue and good performances from Ed Oxenbould and Jake Gyllenhaal. Carey Mulligan herself steals the show and commands the screen owing to one terrific performance whereas Paul Dano directed the film quite well. I just wish the first and third act were as strong as the second one was.
½ January 17, 2019
This movie was boring, uneven, unrealistic depiction of a family. Reactions to events made no sense and the characters seemed border line insane. Don't ever watch this. You can't get back the time. Instead watch the dryer tumble for 2 hours. Time better spent
½ January 17, 2019
1/18/2019
Set in rural Montana in the 1960's, the movie tells of the inner struggles individually and as a family of the Brinsons. Subtle yet effective portrayal both by Jake and Carey, though Ed Oxenbould as the child caught in the middle more often than not stole the show.
½ January 14, 2019
The acting was spectacular but the movie made me feel quite uncomfortable about how his parents treated the 14-year-old boy. It was weird to begin with and somewhat boring around the end.
January 12, 2019
Beautifully sad. Subtle acting.
January 9, 2019
Well made first feature from director Paul Dano. He manages to give us a thoughtful and disturbing portrait of the disintegration of a marriage as seen through the married couples fourteen year old son. Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan give wonderful performances. It's attention to 1960 Montana detail is impeccable.
½ January 8, 2019
They're giving waaaay too much credit to these types of movies these days. This movie was just not entertaining. You label it a drama and expect high praise for nothing. I'm an older guy but didn't grow up in this time, but there were alot of 50's/late 60's era movies that are way better than this. I didn't get it. I mean, I got it but I didn't get the appeal. Was this made for elderly white people who can relate to this story? It was bad.
January 8, 2019
THE LACK OF COMMUNICATION IS REAL.

FATHER CANT OPEN FEELINGS. MOTHER SNEAK DISSING.

BRUH TAKE CARE OF YO KIDS. WTF.

WHAT A HOE.

THE PORTRAYAL OF THAT ERA WAS REAL THO.
January 6, 2019
Carey Mulligan's incredible performance and Paul Dano's sensitive direction make Wildlife an emotionally resonant and affecting piece of filmmaking.
January 2, 2019
It was a great film but putting Jake gyllenhaal's cringeworthy overacting at times, Ed and Carey shined the most . Carey Mulligan gave an oscar worthy performance and one of the best performances of 2018 hands down . When I see the potential list of oscar contenders this year I wonder how performances like this don't make the cut . She was soulfyl, nuanced and heartlfelt in her acting. She's one of the all time greats, mark my words.
½ January 1, 2019
More Pepper. Less Spicy.

Wildlife

Dano's marital advice that keeps poking us until we nod in disbelief or belief, against all odds, works with good score. Without any quirkiness- as the films with such genre usually does- Dano has his vision sharp enough to cut through all the boredom or complaints there ever might be. And the credit has to and does go to Kazan and Dano himself, whose absorbing adaptation offers enough argument to relate to this flawed yet illuminating family.

More to it, the conversations no matter how pragmatic and cinematic, the awkward silence and the stillness pitched for a jarring effect, leaves the audience in awe of it. For obvious reasons, performance factors majorly especially a script written that speaks more from character's perspective. And to be honest, Gyllenhaal seems to feel short handed on filling these empty voids compared to Mulligan. Mulligan, the real deal of the film, the breadwinner of the family, has done a marvelous work on pulling off such a repellant character.

In Gyllenhaal's defense, he too has managed to stay on ground in his eerily not-so-likeable character. But this has always been Mulligan's game, since the first touch. From her make believe attitude to a self obsessed persona, she is offered an immense amount of room to flaunt in her skills which she delivers with a broad scary smile on the face. And stretching her muscles like never before, she can easily be the friendly guardian and the bitter taunting figure that never sees past herself. On the other hand, Gyllenhaal feels more comfortable in his initial stages where the gullible nature of his is cloaked aptly, but when it comes to scratch-to-hurt on screen, he fumbles in front of Mulligan's behemoth scary stature.

Oxenbould bodes well as the audience of this melodramatic act staged by his parents, figuring out the trajectory like us, he is convincingly good on his role of the bridge between this opposite natured stations. The film comes alive after the first act passes by, when Mulligan takes charge on the world with shady seducing intentions of attracting the glossier and flashier city in her life. Wisely, Dano never fabricates the mistakes as a pity on screen, his job to state the figures and facts is what keeps the tale perfectly balanced. The race to win, that our characters sprints for is certainly not against each other but the time itself.

Even though the tale is narrated through their kid, their nature to live once more without any strings is a brilliant idea to leave our host hanging in the mid-air along with our jaws dropped. The detour that the film takes by imputing a love interest from Mulligan could have easily gone wrong as an overstretched routine, but with a crisp tensed environment offered to it with a sense of uncertainty, leaves us wanting for more of the thrill. Dano's world is mundane but lopping off the manners, his arrogance is more than welcome in this Wildlife where the mania of fire is the least of our concerns.
½ December 31, 2018
It's 1960. Jerry and Jeanette (Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan) have recently moved to Montana with their 14-year-old son, Joe. Jerry works as a golf pro. Carey is a housewife. Jeanette is extremely supportive of Jerry and the two seem very much in love. Both parents dote on Joe, never failing to tousle his hair or touch a shoulder as they walk by. The whole thing feels very Ozzie-and-Harriet-esque, like these aren't real people but characters in an old sitcom. Is this how real people acted in 1960? I don't know. In any event it doesn't last.

After Jerry gets let go from the golf course for what seems like no fault of his own, Jeanette remains supportive. When they call the next day to off him his job back and he refuses to take it, some cracks begin to appear in her facade. But it's not until he says he's signed up to help fight some distant wildfires that Jeanette starts really losing her sh*t.

Apparently the family has done quite a bit of moving to chase Jerry's dreams which never seem to pan out, and the idea of him dragging them to Montana, only to run off on a high-risk, low-paying adventure is a bit too much for her.

With Jerry away, Joe becomes the man of the house, biking to the store to buy canned spaghetti and replacing the innards of a running toilet. And Jeannette becomes the teenager, acting impulsively, irrationally, and irresponsibly.

The movie is shown mostly through the eyes of Joe, who's forced to watch his mom behave in ways that no kid would ever want to see. I get how Jeannette might be angry at Jerry, but why would that make become so indifferent with respect to her son? Kid's going to need therapy is all I kept thinking.

Besides my incredulousness at Jeannette's overnight transformation, I was also thrown by the stilted-language staginess that seemed to creep in once things started going south. My mind kept wondering, "Is this really what people talked like in 1960?" before deciding the answer is no, probably not; it's what people talk like in plays.

This isn't a terrible movie. The acting is good, the kid does a credible job with his increasingly disturbed reaction shots, and it was something to do on a rainy day. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but there you have it.

(Incidentally, I have no idea why it's called "Wildlife" instead of "Wildfire" and my inferior reading skills didn't even pick up on this until I tried to post the review.)
December 28, 2018
Wild? seriously ? I think all need to watch this movie :D I like movie, it's the best in my collection on boxxy software.
December 15, 2018
To see Carey Mulligan and Jake Gyllenhaal, masters of their craft, seated across the kitchen table from each other, locked in the disquiet of matrimonial turbulence, is a thing to behold, beautiful and wrenching in its turn. Paul Dano, situated behind the camera rather than in front of it, refrains from letting style intrude on performance. He keeps his images crisp, clean, and efficient. They‚(TM)re gorgeous without being gaudy. Dano and his partner, Zoe Kazan, adapted Wildlife from the novel by Richard Ford. The story concerns three souls captive to each other‚"a mother, a father, and a child‚"and the ruptures that occur when the need to survive individually tears at the bonds of family collectively.