Windfall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Windfall Reviews

½ January 16, 2014
This documentary at times seems like it's rushing to throw as many varieties of dirt at wind power as it can. Some of its complaints stick, some don't. But even if this film focuses too little on substance and too much on petty small-town personality clashes, it's different perspective on wind power still makes it an important film to let bounce off of you.
September 7, 2013
A fine movie that objectively outlines the reality of what happens in rural communities when they are solicited by industrial wind developers.
April 13, 2013
To quote J.R. Jones from the Chicago Reader,"A full-throated attack on wind energy, this feature by Laura Israel is one of the most surprising (and depressing) eco docs I've seen in years."

Not quite a full-throat attack on wind energy but on megawatt turbines; I wish the director would have made an explicit distinction between consumer vs. commercial applications. The movie might have suffered from the lose of logical appeal if this distinction is made.

There are several different types of wind turbines available. Fast sellers are the biggest from GE and United Technologies which are in the 2.5 - 3 MW category. Also, kinda of get the feeling of a socialist agenda in the Town of Meredith, anti-commerce in a sense especially from the self-proclaimed financier. Wind turbines are a very workable and applicable application of cheap energy that as Picken's states, "Twenty percent of the United States energy could be produced from alternative sources in the next ten years." To think wind is not sufficient makes me question the true tendency of this film.
January 21, 2013
Windfall is a profile of Meredith, NY a rural small town that became strongly divided when a few of the large landowners were approached to install large industrial wind turbines on their property. At first glance it seemed like a win-win situation. Several of these are dairy farms that are struggling to survive, and they will be contributing to energy independence so what's the issue? Well, as the town asked questions and did some research they realized that it was going to be a huge change: the noise of the turbines spinning up to 150 mph, flickering when the blades block/expose the sunshine, pressure differentials believed to cause feeling ill and turbine fires that are expected to be handled by the local fire dept. The landowners and their neighbors were paid a very small amount. I was surprised that the companies didn't provide these towns with free electricity! That might have helped get buy-in. I am in support of alternative energy sources and think these industrial turbines need to be located in remote locations that don't have impact on residential areas. Watch this film to gain a wider perspective to this topical issue.
½ January 13, 2013
Nyt kaikki ihqt viherystäväiseni kipin kapin Netflixiin katsomaan dokkari tuulivoiman ihanuudesta. Suosittelene.
½ January 4, 2013
Misleading and Biased. Misinformed townspeople and media scaretactics,
½ September 20, 2012
I've been to Germany where they will be fossil fuel independent by 2020. They have fields of windmills and solar panels as you drive by on the highways. What makes it work in contradiction to this movie, is that the German government is committed to making the room necessary for these projects that DO NOT affect anyone since no one is near the mills to BE affected.
My slant on the film is the independent (and anonymous) windmill contractors in the film don't have state authority to place these windmills in an appropriate place and need to get permission from local landowners to erect them. This film does a good job of showing the dangers of living near the mills-with the appropriately liberal minded residents who simply need the money-but neglects to display what is necessary to make this kind of technology viable.
The cynic in me says the "anonymous windmill contractors" are backed by politically motivated companies committed to fossil fuel technology; but until the politics and land grubbing companies grow up and do the right thing, you'll only see half hearted attempts and failure to sway public opinion away from green technology and toward the carcinogen creating industries already in place.
July 27, 2012
Wind power and wind tech may or may not be viable in the end. It is hard to get to the core of this contention since Israel's presentation of the subject lacks objectivity. None. Her film is very visual and appealing and "environmentally activisty" if I may. Her science and engineering presentations are crap. I didn't see one sound level study at all. Turbine shadows are a health risk? How? "I can't sleep at night." " I get headaches." "They make me dizzy." No health documentation on these effects? Also, there are no treatments of gas, coal, and nuclear power plant options. A beautiful film that makes no convincing argument.
July 4, 2012
Rodd, the energy guy's rating.
June 2, 2012
We must fight against Big Wind!

...I give up.
May 17, 2012
Accurate presentation of all the characters I've ever met in my long years of grassroots political struggle. I don't agree that it was unnecessarily repetitive. That is the nature of the beast. The same thing IS said over and over. What is peculiar about the wind wars is that there are plenty of progressives who favor industrial scale wind projects and become rather fanatical on the subject. On the other hand, it was a bit idealized that all the opponents sounded so rational and dignified and articulate all the time.
February 7, 2012
Balanced and insightful portrayal of a community divided to polar opposites around the means and ends of renewable wind energy in their rural upstate NY quiet town. Although the film may have been too long to illustrate its primary and secondary messages, Windfall is a good faith effort to make the subject of community organizing around alternative energy compelling. The filmâ??s music is bland, however, the photography is vivid. Windfall will do especially well in academic settings rather than mainstream audience. B-
February 4, 2012
did my civic duty the other night and watched the anti-wind movie Windfall. I'm thankful it was paired with the considerably more balanced movie Wind Uprising, although at about 28 minutes in length, the latter is not enough to overcome the endless Windfall, which is just under three times as long.

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in thinking Windfall is overlong--Variety reviewer Rob Nelson called it a "gassy documentary" and opined that "Distribution of the pic at its current length seems inconceivable." If only.

Windfall's tone is set within a few minutes, as the camera takes a leisurely look at turbines using time-lapse photography to make them appear to spin far more rapidly than they actually do--a technique that is also replicated on the film's Web site. Perhaps that is intended as a warning: Abandon all hope of objectivity, ye who enter here.

Windfall does have one plus--fine high-definition photography. But in substance, it's a lot like being trapped in a simultaneous conversation with three or four acquaintances, each of whom you'd try to avoid if you could (by crossing the street, say, or pretending to receive a call on your cell phone) because you know they tend to get fixated on a single topic and just cannot shut up about it. By turns, they trot out their favorite rants and conspiracy theories, coupled with the usual disclaimers ("I used to think wind energy was great, but then I started reading about it [at anti-wind sites] on the Internet ... " and "I'm all for green energy, but ... "). It's wind energy's misfortune to be the first new major energy technology to develop after the rise of the Internet--never before in history has it been so easy for lies and misinformation to "go viral," a phrase that itself was invented to describe the phenomenon of rapid spread of information on the Web.

Most ironic, perhaps, is the anti-wind folks' lament that wind turbines have divided their community and that long-time neighbors won't speak to them anymore--they seem oblivious to the role of their own conduct in creating the problem. (I have some firsthand knowledge of this sort of thing, living in a rural New England community that had a knock-down, drag-out fight recently over the question of whether to restore or replace the town bandstand. Some people are still angry about it, but my personal opinion remains: it wasn't the bandstand's fault.)

One further irony: at one point, Windfall shows a panoramic view of a large wind farm in upstate New York. The camera pans slowly around and back to show one graceful, white, slowly rotating turbine after another stretching into the distance. I'm sure it was intended to show the horror of wind development, but based on what I've seen of opinion polls, my guess is that two-thirds of the people who see it will find it beautiful and inspiring, as I did.

Why do I say that Wind Uprising is more balanced? Because it actually spends time discussing the context of wind energy development and the harmful consequences of our current dependence on fossil fuels--energy analyst Randy Udall, for instance, talks about how the time we live in is "The Great Bonfire," in which we are blowing through fossil energy resources laid down over thousands of millennia. Since Windfall is nearly three times as long, one might have thought there would be room for some of that context, but noooo. These are serious questions, folks, and they deserve a serious discussion.

By now you know my opinion, which I am sure comes as no surprise. Check out Wind Uprising if you get a chance, but give Windfall a pass, unless and until someone does some serious editing. It's long, boring, repetitive, and devoid of balance. Did I mention long?
½ February 2, 2012
The movie is full of bogus lies and junk science. It reminds me of the tobacco industry in the 90s saying that smoking is fine. Now Big Oil and Big Coal is backing on the junk research to try to kill the renewables. A very sorry excuse for a doc.
January 23, 2012
That is seriously fucking stupid.