The World's Fastest Indian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The World's Fastest Indian Reviews

½ August 25, 2017
The majority of the film's quality relays on Anthony Hopkins appeal and penetrating charisma portraying Burt Monro, and while as a solid sports film it does works, it surely has some well known clichés of the typical "based on a true story" average biopic, but is certainly Hopkins strong performance as the speedster, as well as the satisfying road-trip feeling, makes this a fairly enough enjoyable experience to sit trough.
July 26, 2017
Oh my God! That was so good! You just can't hate this film. The story is so Awesome and the way it's done is so interesting! Alot of small events happen in the same mood wich is also Great and the run was not too much competitive, wich is very different from the other race movies.
I also have to say this is one of Anthony Hopkins's best performance , he even said it: That is the best thing that he made.
July 24, 2017
Movie Review - Final - "The World's Fastest Indian" (2006) Written, produced, and directed by Roger Donaldson

For those believing that "coming of age" happens in your early years, The World's Fastest Indian will cause your head to spin faster than the two wheels on the 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle, that real-life Burt Munro rode to set the land speed record on the salt flats at Bonneville Speedway. The World's Fastest Indian is based on the life of the real life New Zealand folk hero, Burt Munro. Burt Munro is magnificently portrayed by Sir Anthony Hopkins who we may know better as The Silence of the Lambs' character, Hannibal Lecter, the brilliant, forensic psychiatrist, with a taste for human meat.

Burt Munro has had one dream for the better part of his 68 years on Earth. His dream is to transform his 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle, the one he bought new in 1920, into the two-wheeled bullet destined to break the land speed record at the Bonneville Speedway. His dream is his own. His only competition, himself. The 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle has been metamorphosed, from a motorcycle having a top speed of 54 mph to one that reaches the mind bending speed of 200 mph. Burt is master tinkerer and craftsman. From broken metal pieces and parts of other motorcycles, Burt forges his own pistons. He replaces the original gears of his Indian Scout with gears from a milking machine. Any parts that do not survive are placed on the shelf marked, "offerings to the Gods of Speed". Little by little Burt Munro has created a monster. A monster unlike anything seen before or since. A monster not of this world.

From a fleeting periphery, we are teased. For much of the first half of the movie we only get occasional and momentary glances of "the old girl", the pet name Burt has for his beloved 1920 Indian Scout Motorcycle. This only adds to the mystique and adds a bit of suspenseful anticipation. We want to see more. We want to touch the smooth metal, hear the thunderous roar of the engine. For now, we must wait. Maybe the director doesn't want to throw audiences into full out cardiac arrest by giving us the full experience of this speed-demon "old girl" that Burt has lovingly metamorphosed with his own hands, for the better part of forty years.

Burt Munro is loved by everyone that meets him. Even when Burt constantly wakes his neighbors each morning before dawn, revving his Indian Scout's engine, or "borrowing" and using kitchen knives to remove the tread from his tires so he can go faster and then forget to return them, or his morning ritual of urinating on his lemon tree, you can't help falling deeply in love with the man. His charm is self-effacing. His charm is genuine.

Burt's journey to realizing his dream isn't all sunshine and lemon trees. There are scenes that begin reserved but build into a crescendo of heart pounding, mind warping excitement. The World's Fastest Indian strategically places these types of elements throughout the film giving us the feeling of riding a roller coaster or navigating whitewater rapids in a raft. Our first taste of this is when the local motorcycle thugs crash his 68th birthday party and a Burt challenges them to a race the following morning, it is then that we get an idea what "the old girl" may be capable of. The entire town comes out to see the race. Even when Burt has problems starting the motorcycle and the gang looks like they will humiliate him in front of his town, Burt teaches the gang of thugs a lesson in respect. He catches up to and passes the entire gang like they were standing still. Even though Burt crashes and the thugs win the race and $100 cash, there is no denying this man and his 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle are a force to be reckoned with. There is so much adrenaline pumping you can almost hear your own heartbeat in your ears.

From one scene to the next this movie is a whole body experience. I could feel my heart sink when Burt has to be taken to the hospital by ambulance and the doctor treating him tells him his motorcycle days are over. Again, when he is told that nobody believes he will succeed in breaking the world speed land record. There is humor woven intricately throughout this movie gem.

Burt's interactions with people in the United States seems familiar, not contrived or fantastic. The real magic begins to sizzle and pop when Burt actually gets to Bonneville Speedway, the place where he feels his life's dream will come to fruition. I could feel tears of happiness welling up as Burt first lays eyes on Bonneville Speedway. But as is with anything, there are setbacks. He learns that he has missed the registration for entering his 1920 Indian Scout for the year's time trials. He is also told that his motorcycle does not have the appropriate safety equipment and is therefore not allowed to compete. This is the first time Burt Munro seems like he may have a breakdown. Burt Munro doggedly appeals to fellow speed-freak Jim Moffet. Race officials are convinced to humor the old guy that traveled from half a world away to realize his dream. I could feel my heart soar and my tears joyously flow, as Burt Munro is finally able to see exactly what "the old girl" is capable of. Burt Munro is allowed, by race officials, to race his beloved 1920 Indian Scout Motorcycle, the one he bought new in 1920, on the Bonneville Salt Flats. His dream soon becomes a reality.

On his first timed run in August 1962, Burt Munro set the land speed record at 201.852 mph. Burt traveled to Bonneville Speedway a total of nine times. He set three world records. His 1967 record still stands.While the movie does take some liberties with his actual speed. This is of little consequence to me. This movie is a masterpiece. It will set your soul on fire.

There is nothing in this world that can stop a man when he sets sights on making his lifelong dream a reality. Burt Munro refused to resign himself to the rocking chair of old age. For Burt Munro understands that even those living, in the golden sunset of advancing age, have the ability to change the world. For age is an arbitrary number. Some people are content with spending their golden years as an audience to passing time. For Burt Munro, time takes a step back and salutes The World's Fastest Indian. These are just some of the elements woven throughout The World's Fastest Indian, that even in 2017, eleven years after its release that makes it an important and timeless classic.

The World's Fastest Indian was filmed in New Zealand, Utah's West Desert, and the salt flats of Bonneville Speedway.

½ November 13, 2016
Go and show them that Kiwi can fly!
½ September 8, 2016
Very enjoyable. A bit slow, but Anthony Hopkins does nice work here.
August 25, 2016
Great Little Bio Picture...
½ July 29, 2016
Funny movie, emotive, charismatic Anthony rides us from the beggining sorting all the challenges to reach his dreams. I liked it.
July 19, 2016
A well-done movie that was never able to convince of just why it was made.
½ June 24, 2016
Chasing a dream halfway across the world.

One of the inspiring biopic I have ever seen. It is about chasing a dream and it is never too late to do that so. Based on the story of a New Zealand motorcyclist Burt Munro. After spending 25 years to build a faster motorbike in the down under, now a very old Munro travel halfway across the earth to Bonneville speedway in the US to set a record. So what's the remaining of the tale reveals is that does his dream becomes reality or not.

Awesome performance by Anthony Hopkins, but in some parts I was distracted by his fake Kiwi accent. Overall, not bad with his effort, he achieved the goal conveniently. It is one of the best road movie that directed by the 'Species' filmmaker. The 120 minutes was too short, but well covered story with inclusion of messages like anti smoking and alcohol consumption.

It is a decade old film, never too late to watch a fine film like this, but inside I feel regret for the delay. I had no idea about the storyline. I thought it might be about Indians and then thought American Indians, but realised only while watching it that it is about a motorbike called Indian. It is surely a good family movie, especially if there is a motorbike maniac in the house. Highly recommended by me.

9/10
February 20, 2016
Such a change for Anthony Hopkins, that works perfectly. interesting story with a lot of heart.
January 17, 2016
The story of a crazy old man determined to set himself a new land speed record with a outdated Indian motorcycle that he's modified himself using parts molded by hand. A loving ode to reckless self-endangerment that truly excels because of how charming Hopkins is in the role. The story is basically that of a road trip. The plot could be summed up an a couple sentences. The fun comes from the encounters he has along the way and his general air of good-natured eccentricity. Eminently watchable.
October 6, 2015
Not quite sure how much of it is true-to-life, and I'm sure the filmmakers added some extra events to give the film some dramatic heft. But Anthony Hopkins' warm and endearing portrayal of Burt Munro and Donaldson's sure-handed, if not often manipulative, direction make The World's Fastest Indian a compelling and feel-good fact-based drama.
September 13, 2015
Informative and heartwarming.
August 19, 2015
A remarkable performance (again) by Anthony Hopkins, something very different. The true story of a man striving to get to America and test his much modified classic motor bike. The film title doesn't help what is a very engaging story.
½ August 14, 2015
This a solid movie with a very underrated performance from Hopkins.Fun little ride.
June 11, 2015
Anthony does nothing short to deliver in this feel good true story movie. His cooky old man character with one true dream makes anyone leave a theater smiling
January 7, 2015
A great story. Hopkins puts the movie on his back and races to the finish line.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
True story movie and those are always nice to see. Motorcycle and speedrecords and i love that kind of stuff so i liked this movie :) great actor Hopkins btw.
December 22, 2014
A little too understated, but heartwarming nonetheless. Hopkins is likeable and sagacious as always.
December 20, 2014
Up there with Cool Runnings on the feel good factor.