Woyzeck Reviews

• Jun 26, 2018

Klaus Kinksi stars as a soldier driven insane by abuse, medical experiments and his wife's infidelities. Herzog's adaptation of the German play from the 1800's if a film with great performances from Kinski and Eva Mattes, and a lot of individual moments that I love (there's a monkey in a military uniform), but it's not a film that really hangs together for me. It feels like a bunch of great scenes strung together with little logic.

• Mar 16, 2017

Absolutely astonishing performance by Klaus Kinski in the Werner Herzog film that is hard to describe. It's intense and riveting.

• Aug 01, 2016

• Jun 15, 2016

The uniquely wonderful Werner Herzog directs another downward spiral into insanity depicted by the captivatingly bonkers Klaus Kinski.

• Jan 08, 2016

A bit disappointing for a Werner Herzog film. It's surely weird enough but it really fizzles out without saying anything at all, at least not clearly. The only things I took from this was proof that 1, you should not eat peas and 2, don't trust women.

• Dec 29, 2015

Aikamoista tuuuuubaaa!!! Kinski vie roolinsa läpi antaumuksella. Siitä pisteet.

Aikamoista tuuuuubaaa!!! Kinski vie roolinsa läpi antaumuksella. Siitä pisteet.

• Jan 21, 2015

I can think of no one more qualified to play a man descending like a lead balloon to complete and utter madness than Klaus Kinski!

• Oct 16, 2013

Extremely stagy, and I'm ashamed to admit I found the denouement (which is depicted in the poster for some reason!) more amusing than affecting. Bad prop work can be very distracting when it's right in the middle of a slow-motion frame! At times it looks amazing (the final shot is stunning) but at others the lighting contributes to its cramped staginess. This feels minor, though I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's a Herzog film, so it's worth watching.

• Oct 11, 2013

Tragic to a degree, but also suggestive and unique. Woyzeck provides good insight into the lower class society ruled by several different philosophies, most elaborately demonstrated by Kinski's character who is riddled with a philosophical psychosis. The film is short but fitting.

• Aug 18, 2013

It's underdeveloped to say the least and it features a disappointingly weak script from Herzog but the lead performances are strong, its obscure quirkiness is somewhat appealing and the beautiful visual feel of the film is up to Herzog's standards. There's also the occasional scene that's distinctive, memorable and inventive that shows how well the curious combination of Kinski and Herzog worked. It feels rushed, underdeveloped and below-par as a finished product but there's definitely enough there for it to be worthwhile for a Herzog or Kinski fan and others should be able to enjoy something about it even if the film as a whole feels rather forgettable. It's really all about Kinski and Mattes here though.