X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

January 17, 2018
A great rewatch. The movie which launched the career of Hugh Jackman (and in some ways, Ian McKellen), and heck, even Marvel started to gain momentum. Great superheroes, memorable lines, and all out fun.
January 13, 2018
Good introduction to the X-Men universe. Hugh Jackman is perfect as Wolverine. Very good casting all around. Satisfactory action sequences. Had its moments of humour. Storm "lightning/toad" joke was brutal though.
January 11, 2018
I SAW THE MOVIE BEFORE WHEN I WAS, LIKE 9 YEARS OLD OR SOMETHIN' LIKE THAT. I'VE GOT THE VHS MOVIE TAPES: "INDEPENDENCE DAY" (1996 FILM), "BIE HARD: THE MOVIE 1988", "SPEED" (1994 FILM), "DAREDEVIL" (2003 FILM), "MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS: THE MOVIE", "HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK", "WAITING 2 EXHALE" (1995 FILM), "MRS. DOUBTFIRE" (1993 FILM) & MANY MORE.
January 7, 2018
The plot is good but the acting was unremarkable
January 6, 2018
Doesn't hold up as well as I remember. Dialogue is terrible at times (corny comic book dialogue doesn't directly translate to big screen live-action movies), but the casting is nearly perfect and so are the performances (only Anna Paquin is really bad). A decent intro movie to the X-Men universe.
January 6, 2018
Great movie, with a great plot it does a good job of developing characters and the villain in the film is three-dimensional
December 29, 2017
A great start to a franchise that would later see many ups and downs (mostly ups though) as a series. The weakest element of the film though was the plot which felt for less like the plot of a comic book, and far more like what someone who does not know what comic books are like would expect a comic book plot to be, which is almost exactly what it is as the plot of this film as an individual has no basis or origin in the comics unlike almost all of the later films in the series. Still, it manages to capture the primary feel and characters of the x men comics, which was ultimately a win in the eyes of many of the fans.
½ December 26, 2017
Best thing I love about the movie - Hugh Jackman's debut as Wolverine
Biggest thing I hate about it - I hate how Cyclops makes fun of the Comic Book costumes like these cheap black leather suits are better, Cyclops in these X-Men movies has always been held back. How is The Punisher 1989 a piece of shit because he doesn't have the Skull? But X-Men is a Masterpiece? Lmao, suits have no color & they make fun of the comic book costumes. I guess Critics & Audiences are Hypocrites. A mediocre movie.
½ December 21, 2017
A good introduction and a stellar cast set up a franchise that would have ups and downs
December 17, 2017
X-Men sets up the universe pretty well with clear focus and ambition for its time.
December 16, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Un gran referente del género de superhéroes, con un poderoso mensaje intrínseco y una entretenida y emocionante historia.
December 15, 2017
The film that started it all. X-men was one of the first movies to bring comic book adapted screenplays to theaters successfully. The performances by the cast imbody that of their comic counterparts, most notably Sir Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, the story and action are both fun, yet the underlining of human prejudice is a statement we can still learn from today. This was the movie that jumpstarted the superhero genre taking over cinema, and over fifteen years later this franchise is still going strong.
½ December 13, 2017
X-Men was a great movie that made the Marvel movies worthwhile. Really, who cared about Blade, Howard the Duck, and Man Thing? This was just an amazing film. Great CG, great cast, and hardly any language.
December 9, 2017
With the right amount of suspense, newly established potential and delightful moments of entertainment, X-Men is witty, self-sustainable and up for a new wave of live action adaptation.
½ November 23, 2017
After countless sequels, prequels, and spinoffs, Bryan Singer's first X-Men film almost seems simple in its plot and execution. I mean that only in a good way; rewatching it after having seen the rest of the series is almost refreshing (not a knock on some of the good movies that would come later on). What could've been an outlandish tale is grounded thanks to its social commentary (which the X-Men comics have always been known for) and its cast. Though there is a lot present that falls into the realm of science fiction, we are firmly kept in our world thanks to the portrayal of mutants as outcasts. Anybody who's ever been discriminated against on any basis can relate. The cast as a whole does a great job, and I'd be here forever if I gave specific praise to everyone. However, I have to give credit to Hugh Jackman and Ian McKellen. It's hard to believe Jackman wasn't in anything major before this (and even harder to believe some in the online community initially disliked his casting), and McKellen gives an excellent performance (the first of many) as a villain you can understand where he's coming from; relatable villains, or those who genuinely believe are doing right, are always the most intriguing. Now, this isn't a perfect movie. By today's standards, some of the effects and action is dated (not the fault of the film, but it does take me out of it every now and then). Additionally, Magneto's henchmen in the Brotherhood of Mutants go relatively underdeveloped. However, these are criticisms that can easily be overlooked, as X-Men is great, thoughtful entertainment and a solid start for the film series.
½ November 23, 2017
Amazing action packed film with characters that we all love!
½ November 19, 2017
If this film had been given to the wrong director it could have been incredibly cheesy. Being a reader of the comics I know that there are a few things that works on the page of a comic book but not in a film and let me say that the costumes is one of these things that in all probability wouldn't work. Singer chose to go with black leather outfits and I, for one, am very thankful for this choice. There are many things in this film that works but unfortunately there are a few things as well that prevent the film from being truly great.

Lets start with the things that work. Acting wise the film is very good. This is above all attributed to some excellent casting. Hugh Jackman is simply perfect as Wolverine and brings out the duality of the character in a very satisfactory manner. Also the scenes were we see a glimpse of the rage in the character work remarkably well. The only thing that could be said about him is that he is too tall but it seems most people, including myself, have accepted this fact. I think also that it was a wise choice to let a relatively unknown actor play the part because in that way we have no preconceived notions about him. As for Professor X no other man than Patrick Stewart could/should play him. Stewart simply becomes Xavier both in presence, voice and looks. An example of perfect casting. Ian McKellen is brilliant as Magneto and succeeds in creating a human villain rather than the usual cliché like villains we see in Hollywood productions. The acting aside from the ones mentioned above is pretty good. Not spectacular but good. The only one who does not look and act like the character we know from the comics is Anna Paquin who plays Rogue. The character is nothing like in the comics and Paquin's performance doesn't help the character.

When it comes to music and sound effects in general the film is a notch above average. The musical score has a very grand, even epic, feel to it and this suits the film very well. The score is not as memorable as the score from Batman (1989) but it is very adequate. As for the general sound effects they are both very fitting and believable adding to the overall credibility of the film which is considerable. The sound Wolverine's claws make when they come out is exactly as I imagined it. Very well done. The effects in general are also very well made. Not as good as in Spider-Man but still very good. A lot of care has been taken to make the effects seem as believable as possible and from where I'm standing they work. The only character whose powers I did not fully believe in was Toad's. Ray Park is an excellent athlete but many of his stunts look like obvious wire work. This is a pretty general complaint I have as some of the action look rehearsed. There is, however, some interesting action scenes and overall the action is acceptable.

The story is pretty well written and the dialog is both witty and sharp. Especially much of the dialog between Wolverine and Cyclops (James Marsden) is very entertaining and true to the comic books. Where I feel the story is lacking is in the climax which I am afraid to say is a little silly. Magneto's plan for world domination is actually pretty stupid when you think about it and that is a shame because much of the exposition is very well done. Generally, however, the first film is all about setting the stage for the films to come and it does do that in a satisfactory manner.

All in all X-Men is definitely one of the better super hero movies out there and although it was surpassed by the sequel it still stands as a true testament to Singer's skill.X-Men" is a rare treat-- a blockbuster that lives up to its hype and a comic book adaptation that hits the mark.

Along with Tim Burton's "Batman", this stands head and shoulders above all other superhero movies. It's a genre that's usually synonymous with silly, campy, cartoonish crap, but Bryan Singer delivers a long-awaited exception to the rule. "X-Men" is smart, stylish, and very cool... one of the better sci fi/fantasy films of the last decade.

Of course, it helps to have good source material.

The X-Men comics, which originated in the 1960s, are more politically progressive and morally complex than older superhero stories such as "Superman" where the heroes are always right, and truth, justice, and the American Way always prevail. The series is a well-crafted parable about individuality and discrimination. The characters are mutants--struggling to find a place in a society that rejects them. Its primary villain, Magneto, isn't an evil lunatic-- he's a sympathetic character, a misguided revolutionary playing Huey Newton to Professor Xavier's Martin Luther King. The iconic character, Wolverine, is a beer-swilling anti-hero who cares little for ideals and fights only to protect himself and his loved ones. The female characters are as powerful and important as the men, rather than being mere love interests.

Rather than making just another flashy explosion-per-minute-special-effects-extravaganza, Singer practices the lost arts of character and plot development. As a result, the movie has a far greater depth than the average big budget summer flick. The acting is also quite good on the whole. Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine, is fantastic--a bona fide Clint Eastwood caliber badass. Some of the dialogue is fairly cheesy, but in the hands of Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart it sounds quite convincing. (Stewart has made a career out of making lame dialogue sound cool.)

Hard-core fans of the comics have complained about the omission of several popular X-Men. This is silly. A movie that gave the background on every character in the comic books would be 6 hours long. There will be plenty of time to develop new characters in the forthcoming sequels. Fans have also complained about the casting of Anna Paquin as Rogue. I disagree. Rogue is unable to touch another human being without harming them--she would not realistically act like a confident, sassy warrior. Paquin did a tremendous job of conveying the fear and isolation that such a young woman would feel. She will undoubtedly grow into the part in future movies.

In the end, "X-Men" is a comic book movie. Superpowers are explained with silly pseudoscientific babble, the plot revolves around a fairly ridiculous take-over-the-world scheme, and names like "Magneto" are spoken with a straight face. Don't read all the glowing reviews and expect Citizen Kane. But don't underestimate "X-Men" either. It is an intelligent movie that people will enjoy whether or not they are familiar with the comic.
November 12, 2017
Excellent film, with a great story, very well written characters, remarkable performances and a beautiful score.
November 9, 2017
The film that kickstarted the modern comic book movie craze.

While it may be low on action, X-Men still stands on its own thanks to a great cast and a strong subtext that is pretty relevant nowadays.
November 9, 2017
X-Men is a fine action film, boasting super strong cast performances and some impressive visuals, but a potential superhero film could do more than this.