X-Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Reviews

November 7, 2018
X-Men is a truly great classic. This movie may seem a bit dated, but it still holds up a lot. This is one of my favorite films. I even own it on DVD and love watching it. Sure, this movie may not be so faithful to the X-Men comic books and the 90s X-Men animated series, but it's still a great movie in its own merit. Bryan Singer makes it work. Bryan Singer is a great film director. I am a huge fan of him. He did a great job directing this film. I do have some problems with this movie... I don't like that the X-Men wear black leather uniforms instead of their colorful spandex costumes from the comics. I hated Halle Berry's awful fake African accent when she played Storm. I prefer to have Magneto wearing his iconic red and purple costume instead of the costume he was wearing in this movie. I prefer to have Sabretooth to wear his iconic red and orange costume from the comics in this movie instead of what he ended up wearing. Also, I prefer to have Remy Lebeau a.k.a. Gambit be Rogue's love interest instead of Bobby Drake a.k.a. Iceman. Other than that, everything else is good. The cast is great and perfect. The acting is good. The characters are great. The story is compelling. The action was great for its time, but it's still entertaining and fun to watch, even if some of the physics are dated and some of the wire-work is somewhat obvious. X-Men is still a great movie and it started the 21st century superhero film trend.

Rating: 8.2/10
½ October 31, 2018
Featuring a studded star cast X-Men is effectively paced with a good balance of exposition, character development, and special effects-enhanced action. Neither the plot nor the character relationships are difficult to follow, and the movie avoids the trap of spending too much time explaining things that don't need to be explained.X-Menfandom is likely to be divided over whether the picture is a success or a failure. Many comic book lovers will be pleased to see the heroes brought (mostly) intact to the screen by a group of filmmakers who are concerned about maintaining the characters' identities and dignity. Others will grouse about missed opportunities and will cringe at even the most minor missteps. But, with a project like this, there's no pleasing everyone.
October 29, 2018
While I appreciate X-Men for taking superhero movies more seriously, it doesn't hold up overall as a film. The effects are horrible, the action's terrible, the characters aren't interesting (except for Wolverine), and while it's amiable that the movie attempts to have a message of racial prejudice, but the film fails to show any of the good people who WOULD support the mutants.

Again, X-Men has an important place in film history, but I feel like it's aged.

4/10
October 7, 2018
The film that revolutionized superhero films.
September 29, 2018
X-Men delivers nonstop action, adding humor to it all for a recipe for success !!!
½ September 2, 2018
The movie that both put mutants on the big screen for the first time AND introduced the 21st century to the superhero genre, "X-Men" might appear dated to some, but I prefer to use the term "retro."
August 31, 2018
Good adaptation of the classic comic book and fantastic casting of the mutants. Visually cool with only one flaw- needed a little bit more action scenes. All in all good intro to the marvel universe
July 28, 2018
A definitive superhero film..... Probably. It does unfortunately mention evolution not creation by God, and also the enemy does say stuff against God. But he is an enemy, although you are supposed to forgive your enemies and tell them about Christ and be in Christ and surrender to him and accept him. Jesus is our only hope, God Bless, John 3:16, 2 Corinthians 5:7, Genesis, Revelation.
½ July 26, 2018
X-Men contains interesting themes and theses, a tight plot with a nice pace and zips entertainingly through its short run-time. If it's a little unpolished, the dialogue especially could have done with another pass, it's forgiven for the impressive way it introduces a fully realised world. While never leaving New York, the political backdrop makes it feels much less insular than many comic book films, which tend to develop a single city. The villainous scheme is pretty nonsensical, and the climatic action is not the most spectacular, but it features clever use of powers and its small-scale means focus stays on characters, a lesson few films in the genre would learn. And that's where the real strength lies; a wonderful cast brings great representations of the key relationships and antagonisms associated with the property; Magneto and Xavier, and the triangle between Cyclops and Wolverine and Jean Grey.
½ July 23, 2018
Great casting, good acting. Entertaining movie with solid cgi. This movie does have a lot of weird scenes that don't really make sense and weigh this movie down big time.
½ July 23, 2018
a very enjoyable movie and that is faithful to the comic
July 21, 2018
Has its moments, but few surprises.
July 3, 2018
Bel film di supereroi, gli X-Men, dove spicca ovviamente Wolverine interpretato da Hugh Jackman. Mi piaciuto e mi ha intrattenuto tutto il tempo
½ June 26, 2018
X-Men successfully gave life to the modern superhero genre as we know it. To this day, even it's a little cringy sometimes, it remains the most clever specimen of its genre. A really well-told story about racism and its consequences. Also, the cast perfectly fits their roles.
June 26, 2018
To put it simply, X-Men was absolutely fantastic. For a movie made in 2000, the special effects were amazing and the story and characters were both well thought-out. The end result was a film that succeeded on multiple levels.
½ June 21, 2018
X-men is an amazing start to the amazing successful series about mutants walking the Earth. It's very well adapted from the comic books giving fans something they'll really enjoy! It also tells the story of a specific mutant, the one and only Wolverine. It gives great performances by Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and the rest of the cast as they kick off the series with a great movie to begin with.
June 3, 2018
We have come a long way. In 2000 a group of mutants gathered to fight another group of mutants over a mutant registration law while an ambush on UN meeting must be stopped. Well...this happened in 2000 long before the Avengers Civil War happened. It's cool how this film looks of possible ways to solve a problem. With the X-Men as the good guys who wanna have a conversation about mutants living besides humans. Meanwhile there is Magneto who wants to transform humans into mutants (in his mind the next step of the evolution) and a Senator who thinks mutants are living weapons and who wants weapons in a school? (see what they did there? he's bad, but is arguing is kinda okay). The whole movie is about people fighting for the right cause with the wrong means. And btw. all the actual fights are taking place without annoying one liners by the participants. A fight is a fight. That feels so good!
May 31, 2018
if this film was not made, where do you think superhero films would be right now? i have the same question...