Y Tu Mama Tambien Reviews

• Aug 04, 2020

The more I watch Cuaron, the more I appreciate him. This is the story of two boys, going on a roadtrip with an older woman. At first blush, it seems like a rauchy teen movie - hijinks, pranks, and sex. Instead, at a deeper level, it's about how society sucks the life out of these vibrant beings - literally with the older woman. I love Cuaron's cinematography in the film, with oners that aren't showy, but that just feel very natural.

• Jul 01, 2020

Two young boys who are immature to the ways of the entitled sex in which they are participating, get the lessons of their lives on a road trip with an older woman.

• May 08, 2020

This movie was just an excuse for two teenage kids to have sex with an older woman. Obviously I'm joking but that's really what the movie is about. The ending, "they will never speak again" honestly saved this movie in my opinion. Great set-up, but the delivery was questionable, and it was weird to have to constantly watch these two teenagers have sex and then suddenly have an epiphany about life????? Weird and a little laughable. Not a masterpiece by any means; people are only giving it positive reviews because they don't want to seem like a prude. I'm not a prude by any means and this movie was just bad. The "homoerotic" tension that was apparently supposed to be present from the beginning was NEVER there, which I'm fine with had it not been for the kiss near the end which was supposed to convey they always were attracted to each other. Since when??? Just plain bad.

• Feb 24, 2020

This movie was an experience. It follows the raw journey of 3 people as they travel across Mexico. This film was so personal we can feel every emotion they had, from happiness to rage to the sexual desires. The cinematography and directing are amazing.

• Feb 13, 2020

A smart, witty, and surprising movie. Also sexy.

A smart, witty, and surprising movie. Also sexy.

• Dec 18, 2019

Worth the watch. While the overall movie is campy, the deeper story will keep you hooked. If you have the mental capacity to get invested in the movie, the ending will stick with you for the rest of your life!

• Nov 06, 2019

Great coming to age story of two rich boys who go on a trip with a soon-to-be divorcee wife. Loved the cinematography and storytelling. Director took lots of time to give backstory to all characters. Though I want to give this a higher rating, I have to admit that it did not resonate with me as much as I wanted. Maybe I couldn't relate to some of the characters. Maybe I found some scenes forced. Maybe the film didn't age well. Either way, I'll have to give it a 3.5. 3.5/5. Wanted to give it 4 or 4.5 out of 5, but its missing an extra "umph" for me.

• Oct 17, 2019

A base, trashy movie with no redeeming social qualities. Crude, course sex scenes, maximum profanity/vulgarity. Everyone is unfaithful, shallow, self centered, & dishonest. Think, the dregs of humanity. They throw out the racist term 'gringo' and bias against white men. It is narrated by one of the young male actors at times and has time shifts that might challenge some. Synopsis: Two young mexican men want to have sex, blow dope, and drink alcohol. That's it.

• Jun 21, 2019

Reviewed 6.16.19 An unabashed and titillating script by Alfonso Cuaron and his brother, which was nominated for best original screenplay, provides a shameless peak at adolescent male sexuality. But it's a head fake, as they adeptly address mortality, the power of past relationships, and our desire to live out our fantasies even if they are deceiving us. Julio (Gael Garcia Bernal, in an early breakout role) and Tenoch (Diego Luna, already a star back home) are horny young men that are completely preoccupied with sex, and partying their way to it. Their infantilism can indeed be grating at times, but often hilarious too. Enter Luisa (Maribel Verdu), who is married to Tenoch's cousin, and at a pivotal moment in her 28-year old life. Verdu is absolutely spot on, as a woman who married the wrong man, and is left wondering what could have been. Her beauty, and the stimulating subject matter, may have led a less talented actor to come off as a one-dimensional sex goddess. But Verdu imbues her character with emotional depth, hard-earned maturity and a wisdom beyond her years, which doesn't become completely apparent till the memorable reveal in the final scene. To the puritan eye, it'll be viewed as blasphemous. They're loss. Those less staid will revel in it's sexual freedom and honesty. Team Cuaron pulls of their own menage-a-trois with a deeply human script, shot in a gritty documentary style, and performed in a refreshingly improvised manner. It continually morphs from funny to sexy to dramatic, never once seeming unnatural. No wonder that Cuaron was then offered the third installment of the Harry Potter series, with Oscar gold in his future. Garcia-Bernal was launched to international stardom, while Verdu has received the most Goya nominations of any actor in history. All of this on an art-house budget. It's on every list of the best Mexican movies ever made. And it's an all-time classic road movie. For the free-spirited, it's a road to self-discovery.

• May 05, 2019

It shows the scene of the rich and the poor, combining with history as a background. The technique to narrate between scenes makes it special. It is good.