Your Highness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Your Highness Reviews

January 18, 2017
Twice as good as Criminal
January 1, 2017
Amazing, Ive watched this time and time again and I always cry with laughter. The humour is forced, ridiculous and absurd but it is defintely my cup of tea. For me its takes the overforced comedy of airplane or see no evil and hear no evil with a modern twist of rude, cruel and cringe. Making a movie that some will love, many more will hate. No matter what it is worth a watch.
November 14, 2016
Good production and effects but bad teenage jokes made me feel creeped out quite a bit in this film. I still give it a three for the entertainement and Nathalie and Zo that are a bit dirty though. But so beautiful. I don't know why, but this seems to have homersexuality plastered all over, adding the creepiness. Bleh.
½ October 5, 2016
Maybe I'm being over-generous with my mark, but while McBride's writing is not as consistently hilarious as that of, say, Rogen & Goldberg (the movie more or less just coasts on its concept - a medieval fantasy with dick and weed jokes - most of the time), and it's at times a bit disturbing to discover the sort of things he finds funny, he IS entertaining to watch as a performer, and there is a definite sense of fun throughout. The action scenes (in particular the carriage chase) are very well handled by Green, and the production design is great, effectively evoking the 80s films that served as inspiration, but never directly copying them. It's a loving homage with a comedic tone, rather than a spoof or a knock-off.

Portman is just as committed to her role as any she's ever played, lifting everyone around her as a result. Franco just adds a bit of Pineapple Express's Saul to his Tristan, which works fine. Justin Theroux overacts constantly, but that's obviously the point, so it's not a problem. Jones, Dance, Hardiker and Lewis are all great. Zooey D is not particularly tested, but does OK as the damsel in distress. The romantic duet sung by her (beautifully) and Franco (terribly) is one of the film's more memorable scenes.

While a lot of the jokes just aren't as funny as they could have been, the overall tone and look of the film stopped me from being completely turned off. It's definitely disappointing, but I can't hate it. A noble effort, one might say.
October 1, 2016
Funny, funny, funny and clever. Very good visual effects, costumes, and photography. Danny McBride is a genius.
½ August 13, 2016
Forced myself to watch it to half way hoping it would improve....A miserable attempt to recreate the kind of successful humor portrayed in the princess bride
August 6, 2016
Dear Danny McBride,

You are a funny actor, but here are some tips on comedy writing.

The F-Word is not a punchline. A penis is not a joke.

Keep that in mind if you want to try writing again.

-Nathan Hosey
½ July 21, 2016
David Gordon Green sure has a wildly inconsistent filmography. A one joke movie whose joke is never all that funny to begin with.
This was surprisingly funny
June 30, 2016
Funny. But as you watch you notice many mistakes in filming along with many incongruities.
June 30, 2016
Really funny movie laughed to the end
Great entertainment!!!
June 30, 2016
A mindless-fun diversion that is perfect after a long and stressful work week.
June 30, 2016
I saw this a year or two ago and then promptly forgot...
June 30, 2016
An effort to make joke about the medieval time that doesn't work quite well. The movie tries to be funny but at time it feel a little bit forced and instead the movie feels ridiculous. This is the type of movie that someone can watch when there's absolutly nothing else to do. The only thing that I wonder is, why Natalie Portman appears in this movie; that makes no sense to me, at all.
½ June 30, 2016
Quite funny and has JF' what's not to love
great and hilarious!!!
June 30, 2016
Mostly dull with several scenes that solicit uncomfortable or confused laughter. The high point? I've never found Natalie Portman as sexy as she was in this flick. Mmmm. Your Highness is one 90 minute dick joke... which would be acceptable if it were a funny one.
June 3, 2016
half a star only for Natalie Portman.................
½ May 2, 2016
Pretty awful. I did laugh once, though.