Your Highness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Your Highness Reviews

½ October 21, 2017
Your Highness could have been a fun if unexceptional comedy. Unfortunately it's just too tongue in cheek for it's own good and that ruins the films potential. Everything is just too hammy, with James Franco's performance being particularly cringe worthy. At times, Your Highness is very funny, but there are just far too few amusing moments and that, coupled with the films far too hammy tone make for a bad film.
½ August 14, 2017
Franco and McBride's attempt at taking the piss out of the fantasy genre is a huge failure, producing minimal chuckles at best.
July 6, 2017
The worst, most expensive, misunderstood joke in history. That the punchline is Natalie Portman in a plastic chastity belt makes it vaguely worth watching, but you don't know that until you get to the end.

To call this trash is to do an entire generation of raccoons possible irreparable harm. That said, if you were a veterinarian, you'd have real motive, wouldn't you?
½ June 11, 2017
Horrible movie...written and directed 17 year old boys. Silly adolescent sex crazy that places every woman they see under them and the ladies sing the wonderment of the length of their love muscle and wanting them over and over again...Stupid and essences crap and degrading every woman ever born.
June 10, 2017
Exceptionally unfunny. Seems to think modern references and foul language in a medieval setting are inherently funny.. and then did nothing else.
June 10, 2017
Crude stoner movie humour blended with deliberate fantasy cheesiness. A bit predictable in places but an otherwise decent plot with plenty of dumb but funny jokes and the occasional good one liner. Action sequences are also quite good. Not perfect, but not as awful as so much of the reception indicates.
May 31, 2017
This movie is completely misunderstood by the critics. They are so used to movies fitting neatly into a particular genre, that if it skirts a line or two, it is stated as being 'confused' or 'doesn't know what it's supposed to be. Here's a tip for the critics. It's supposed to be entertaining, which 'Your Highness' does very well. This does very well at being a great gutter comedy, which resides within a swords n sorcery piece. I certainly wouldn't even attempt to classify it as a stoner comedy, as it really isn't. It seems anything that HAS a stoner in it these days gets branded as such by the critics.
½ April 13, 2017
Cool looking movie. To be honest with you I heard the pitch on cinemax 60 and I loved it immediately. I looked for it on demand and found it quickly. Watching it right now and it does have its lol/lmao moments and very witty commentary. Amazing performances for James Franco, Danny McBride IV, and Natalie Portman. Reaching the ending, I laughed the entire movie, what a wonderful ending.
½ March 31, 2017
A movie to watch while inebriated. I'm not nearly there....
Overall it was as expected. I just wish these movie comics would quit mistaking "shocking" for comedy.

I yer in da mood for all silly(ish) flick to put on for your idiot guests while you handle business, this will suffice.
February 4, 2017
terrible but not bad
January 18, 2017
Twice as good as Criminal
January 1, 2017
Amazing, Ive watched this time and time again and I always cry with laughter. The humour is forced, ridiculous and absurd but it is defintely my cup of tea. For me its takes the overforced comedy of airplane or see no evil and hear no evil with a modern twist of rude, cruel and cringe. Making a movie that some will love, many more will hate. No matter what it is worth a watch.
November 14, 2016
Good production and effects but bad teenage jokes made me feel creeped out quite a bit in this film. I still give it a three for the entertainement and Nathalie and Zo that are a bit dirty though. But so beautiful. I don't know why, but this seems to have homersexuality plastered all over, adding the creepiness. Bleh.
November 14, 2016
½ October 5, 2016
Maybe I'm being over-generous with my mark, but while McBride's writing is not as consistently hilarious as that of, say, Rogen & Goldberg (the movie more or less just coasts on its concept - a medieval fantasy with dick and weed jokes - most of the time), and it's at times a bit disturbing to discover the sort of things he finds funny, he IS entertaining to watch as a performer, and there is a definite sense of fun throughout. The action scenes (in particular the carriage chase) are very well handled by Green, and the production design is great, effectively evoking the 80s films that served as inspiration, but never directly copying them. It's a loving homage with a comedic tone, rather than a spoof or a knock-off.

Portman is just as committed to her role as any she's ever played, lifting everyone around her as a result. Franco just adds a bit of Pineapple Express's Saul to his Tristan, which works fine. Justin Theroux overacts constantly, but that's obviously the point, so it's not a problem. Jones, Dance, Hardiker and Lewis are all great. Zooey D is not particularly tested, but does OK as the damsel in distress. The romantic duet sung by her (beautifully) and Franco (terribly) is one of the film's more memorable scenes.

While a lot of the jokes just aren't as funny as they could have been, the overall tone and look of the film stopped me from being completely turned off. It's definitely disappointing, but I can't hate it. A noble effort, one might say.
October 1, 2016
Funny, funny, funny and clever. Very good visual effects, costumes, and photography. Danny McBride is a genius.
½ August 13, 2016
Forced myself to watch it to half way hoping it would improve....A miserable attempt to recreate the kind of successful humor portrayed in the princess bride
August 6, 2016
Dear Danny McBride,

You are a funny actor, but here are some tips on comedy writing.

The F-Word is not a punchline. A penis is not a joke.

Keep that in mind if you want to try writing again.

-Nathan Hosey
½ July 21, 2016
David Gordon Green sure has a wildly inconsistent filmography. A one joke movie whose joke is never all that funny to begin with.
June 30, 2016