Zero Dark Thirty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zero Dark Thirty Reviews

August 27, 2016
Everyone has been told this is based on the true events leading up to the capture and of the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. A little slow at times as others have stated but stay with it and it's worth the watch. On a personal note if that's all they really are doing to terrorists they best be glad someone like "Maya" is there doing the terrorizing and I'm not in charge bc that's not enough IMO. People commenting are saying they're upset with the torture that's shown in this movie. So it's ok I guess that THEIR form of torture is BEHEADING and filming the act and sending it to the entire world?Among other things.

The people who were trained by Osama are STILL terrorizing the entire world after he's long been dead and all their punishment is they have to be naked in front of a woman? They feel like but aren't actually drowned?Oh suck it up buttercup and cry me a river! Water boarding would be the least of their worries. They are the worst of the worst kind of prisoners and never were Americans. They despise us. So how can people say that we're violating their civil rights when they don't have civil rights to begin with based on just those 2 things alone? Prisoners have no civil rights IMO. You commit a crime, you give up your civil rights. That is if we still had these prisoners but now thanks to our fearless Muslim leader he's given them all back for a traitor American who IMO should never be allowed in this country again! Are there any left he hasn't set free for some reason or another?

This movie needs a sequel to tell what's happened as a result of the capture and killing of Osama not just how his capture happened. It's not the usual type of movies I watch as I'm not into war movies but I enjoyed this film ALOT! Have seen it several times since it has come out and have never been more proud of our military who rooted him out of his hole. Yes it may have taken 10yrs, I fully believe that Pakistan knew he was there so i don't trust them and think we should nuke all the countries Al Quaeda still exists. We sent a bomb to Hiroshima and haven't had a problem out of Japan since have we? So nuke Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and all the countries in between. Flatten them to nothing for everything they've done to not only America but the rest of the world and we won't have a problem with them anymore either. It would make for a great sequel to this movie. Problem solved.
½ August 23, 2016
A movie which is beautifully cast and well acted. Despite being based on a true story, this film still manages to find a way to keep the viewer on the edge of their seats.
½ August 18, 2016
Brilliant film enjoyed it the first time on DVD about a year ago and just watched again today on Blu Ray and found it even more amazing. Gets you gripped right from the start. I found the camp chapman attack scene very moving. The only thing that stopped me giving this 5 stars was the final assault on Bin Laden's hide out. I found this very slow moving when a mission of this sort would have been extremely fast paced and full of adrenaline certainly no time for conversations. But that was the only downfall in my eyes. And I understand that as its a film it was probably slowed down to make the scene longer but like I say this then makes it abit unrealistic. Brilliant Job 9/10. Will watch for a 3rd time in the future no doubt.
½ August 14, 2016
Combine Homeland with the Patty Duke show and this is what you get. Bad acting, complete fiction for a supposed historical drama and terrible film making.
½ August 13, 2016
This was good. Not as good as all the hype tho.
August 10, 2016
Dark, grim, clinical, dense, expert, engrossing, gruelling. You're forced to participate in the decade-long manhunt with an almost unbearably tense payoff. Like David Fincher's Zodiac, it puts the cost of obsession not only in terms of time but in terms of humanity.
August 5, 2016
Is a film to see when you donīt have anything to do in your sundays afternoon
July 20, 2016
The only thing that put me off from watching this was the running time but eventually I got round to watching it even though I expected a boring documentary type film but it was about one of the most important days in recent history so I knew I would take something good away from watching it, It was very gripping from start to finish, It takes us through all the major events post 9/11, It was very well told it can be hard to keep up due to the fact that there was so many weird names being brought up, But when the main focus of the film kicks in it was brilliant, Very well shot and acted by all the cast, Very realistic and deserved all the praise it was given.
July 20, 2016
It's not your regular action film, and it take a lot of contextual knowledge for one to fully understand the movie. The plot doesn't really flow smoothly. If it weren't for the base story line (the killing of Osama Bin Laden), i would've walked out of the cinema mid movie. I'm also not a fan of the camera work. The lighting was unbalanced, especially during the most intense scenes (the house raid). That being said, the acting was superb, and i have to applaud Jessica Chastain for perfectly conveying the emotions of her character.
July 16, 2016
Bit of a pacing problem with this movie. Couldn't keep my attention. Also, not a good tension and release ratio
½ July 7, 2016
While a bit slow at times, it makes up for it's powerful visual storytelling and compelling ending. With a lot of detail and enough suspense, it's a sheer nonfictional drama with at least three well known actors and a fairly dark theme. While most of the details didn't capture much of my attention, it still felt quite realistic and the locations of filming were spot-on.
½ June 29, 2016
After Saving Private Ryan This Movie Comes Close In The Modern Day
½ June 24, 2016
A wonderful film that tells the rising and capture of bin Laden. Great performances, script, and very suspenseful and compelling. After Hurt locker, Bigelow directs another amazing film. The film does bog down a little bit towards the middle but it's just a minor gripe in an otherwise great film.
½ June 20, 2016
Thrilling behind-the-scenes capture of Osama bin Laden.
½ May 27, 2016
Zero Dark Thirty (2012) ??? 1/2 D: Kathryn Bigelow. Jessica Chastain, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt, Jason Clarke, Reda Kateb, Kyle Chandler. Extremely suspenseful film details search for Osama bin Laden, told with intimate feeling and those tremendous claustrophobic touches Bigelow also used in THE HURT LOCKER. The characters are all interesting and believable. Taut, visceral excitement, hampered by an anti-climax and some mundane dialogue. Oscar winner for Sound Editing.
May 22, 2016
Portrays the CIA's false narrative regarding how they tracked down Bin Laden. The protagonists are disgusting fucks who torture prisoners, making it extremely difficult to root for them, even when they are trying to track down a mass murderer.
½ May 19, 2016
A realistic and intense cinematic experience, a must watch film!
May 14, 2016
Procedural, interesting but ultimately pretty dry. Outside of the final 30 minutes, its arguably a little slow.
Steve Grady
May 7, 2016
"Zero Dark Thirty" uses drama to tell the story of the terrorism that has been happening to "Americans" for the last 10 years. The plot to "Zero Dark Thirty" is that a woman named "Maya" who works for the government and the military, has experienced the biggest terrorist attacks on "America" for the since 1998 to 2011. During her work for the government she has devoted her time to finding the psychotic man known as "Osama Bin Laden" and bringing down the his followers known as "Al Qaeda". The movie starts off with voices yelling on one of the flights of the "September 11 attacks". This is a dark way to allow the audience to know what the movie is about. Throughout the movie it shows "Maya's" character change as she goes from a shy and awkward girl to a strong and independent woman. There are some scenes in the movie that just are boring and make the movie drag on. The movie's climax is somewhat entertaining; it's filmed in the dark while occasionally showing the perspective of a soldier wearing night vision goggles. "Jessica Chastain" gives the audience a great performance as "Maya" along with "Chris Pratt", he give a splendid performance as well. "Alexandry Desplat" exceeds in composing sad and dramatic music, which fits in perfectly for every scene it is in. One of "Zero Dark Thirty's" biggest problems is the camera work; pretty much every scene in the movie the cameraman is holding the camera, for some scenes it can be found tolerable but others, it's just annoying and overused. If you are a person who enjoys historic dramas then I highly recommend you watch "Zero Dark Thirty" as it has splendid acting, an amazing plot and great music. Although the movie isn't perfect it has some issues these being a not very entertaining climax, some boring scenes and the handheld camera being used too often. I give 2012's "Zero Dark Thirty" a 7.5/10.
May 3, 2016
A well-paced suspenseful dramatization.