Zodiac Reviews

• 4d ago

I love true crime thrillers and there are moments of genuine intensity in this movie for sure. But alot of the running time people are talking over the same things, which seemed to drone on and i lost interest several times. With over 2 and a half hours of film, i really think they could have cut some footage out or it might have been better as a tv mini-series. Still, the direction was flawless as was the costume and design. 3/5

• 4d ago

This movie was quite commendable for two hours. Then when they try to wrap the story up in the last forty minutes or so, it overall becomes boring. The very first two hours are quite amazing. Performances are solid throughout it, but when they can't figure it out it becomes a slow crawl at the end. I would rate this higher, but you can get this story in a 30 or 45 minute piece on TV shows about it than what's provided here. I still recommend seeing it though.

• Aug 11, 2019

A slow burning thriller that is fuelled by anxiety. Zodiac sees Fincher at the top of his game, creating an atmosphere of pure uncertainty; further elevated by a powerhouse ensemble.

• Aug 09, 2019

(Sighs) I can only imagine how much I completely forgot about I actually watch the different version of The Zodiac and that was like when I was a teenager I watched the 2006 version of it but I have not watched the David Fincher version with Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey, Jr. Years later I watched it finally and it was actually quite good. It based on the true story America's most notorious serial killer. Zodiac tells the story of the manhunt for the Zodiac Killer, a serial murderer who terrorized the San Francisco Bay Area during the late 1960s and early 1970s, taunting police with letters, bloodstained clothing, and ciphers mailed to newspapers. The case remains one of the United States' most infamous unsolved crimes. Jake Gyllenhaal as Robert Graysmith who is the cartoonist is obsessed with investigating the murders and researching into the Zodiac killings. With a lot of help from his fellow friends, Dave Toschi and Paul Avery played by Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey, Jr. Okay so as it is the Zodiac investigation goes on throughout the entire movie and when Robert watches Dirty Harry for the first time, in his vision it's really based on the Zodiac killings loosely and then he meets Dave for the first time. Like I said in the couple of seconds the Zodiac investigation goes on throughout and it's gonna take days and months and, hell, even years. With all that said and out of the way, I will say for one thing that I am going to tell you about. I think the ending is crap! There are some scenes nearly at the end is that Robert continues his investigation and in the next later and after that it just ends abruptly with some disclaimers about how it ends. I don't know if you notices this but it looks like this movie had no ending. Well, I know it's based on a true crime and it is based on the 1986 non-fiction book of the same name by Robert Graysmith played by Jake Gyllenhaal in the film. I just help the fact that it ends so abruptly. So yeah, the downside is the ending. Despite this, I still think this is a good movie. I mean, not perfect by any means but it is a pretty good crime drama that is so true. If you David Fincher's directing style you'll like this. It had a memorable cast that you'll recognise and it had good writing, solid directing, stellar acting and historical authenticity. You know the rest. Give it a watch and see if it'll grip you and you'll know the story is true.

• Aug 02, 2019

Not bad. I recommend it

Not bad. I recommend it

• Jul 28, 2019

Zodiac is one of those movies which is more concerned with the details of the case more than the case itself , and thats a good thing. Because we discover who the killer us with the investigators , we suspect him with the investigators. David Fincher is a great director who has proven everytime that he has what it takes to be called the most versatile director in Hollywood today. In the beginning of this movie , the movie was starting to look a bit like The memories of murder (Korean movie , great movie btw). But as the movie went on things became different. Jake , Mark and Robert gave pretty good performances with jake being top notch. I would definitely recommend this movie.

• Jul 17, 2019

Most fictional mysteries conclude with the perpetrators being expose and their motives revealed. Zodiac revolves around a mystery which has never been conclusively solved – the identity of the Zodiac killer, who terrorized California in the late 60's and early 70's. Zodiac suggests a solution to this enigma, but also leaves room for the viewer to reject the film's interpretation. This ambiguity is a sign of respect for the audience's intelligence. None of the suspects were ever conclusively proven to have been Zodiac, so I appreciate not having the director's pet theory being depicted as fact. The film achieves this ambiguity not only through the content of its script, but also by having three different actors portray Zodiac in his onscreen appearances, none of whom play any of the suspects. Obsession is the main theme in Zodiac. Several characters destroy their lives by focusing on the case to the exclusion of everything else. The effects of the case on the investigators are as much the focus of the film as Zodiac himself. Focusing more on heady themes and less on the brutal murders (reenactments of Zodiac's crimes make up only a small portion of the runtime) is admirable but requires a higher level of skill on the part of the writers and actors. While Zodiac isn't as brilliantly written as The Silence of the Lambs, the writer, actors, and director display a high level of skill in their skillful depiction of the ruined relationships and lost opportunities which accompany the characters' obsession with catching the killer. Zodiac also beautifully captures California during this time period, with its period-correct San Francisco skyline, absent the Transamerica Pyramid, which is constructed in a time lapse midway through the film as a clever method to depict the passage of time. Such relics as a police telephone box and Atari's Pong also make an appearance. Perhaps most interestingly for me, given my interest in commercial aviation, were the accurate airline liveries which appear in the film, with several of the main characters flying on a plane operated by the defunct carrier PSA midway through the film. For me, the movie was almost worth watching simply for its glimpse into the time period. Fortunately, the film is not solely interesting as a period piece – Zodiac is also an intriguing murder mystery with an engrossing depiction of obsession.

• Jul 10, 2019

A damn near perfect film. Each scene brilliantly leads to the next one, weaving together a highly intriguing, highly suspenseful telling of a historical crime story. The first hour and a half builds to a truly captivating, tense last hour that features some of the best suspense film has to offer. With masterful direction, quality performances, and inimitable story-telling, Zodiac ranks up there as one of my favorite movies ever. A definite must-see!

• Jul 06, 2019

At its heart, Zodiac isn't focused on the Zodiac killer. What it actually is is a suspenseful and thoroughly intriguing tale on obsession. Through a mixture of clues and details surfacing as more information is revealed, various suspects and leads resulting in nothing but dead ends, and some truly unnerving and rather disturbing encounters with the Zodiac killer, Fincher cleverly wraps you up into the film's conflict as you become just as determined to discover who the killer is as the main character Robert Graysmith, a San Francisco cartoonist whose determination takes up over a decade of his life and often leads to him putting himself in danger to accomplish his goal (conveyed most strongly by the famous basement scene). This characterization makes him act as our proxy who we eagerly follow throughout the film, hoping for him to satisfy the obsession which steadily builds up throughout the film's 2 1/2 hour run time. Those who feel unsatisfied by the ending's lack of closure are feeling the full extent of what Fincher intended as the feeling of unsatisfied obsession hits you quite immensely and lingers with you long afterwards. Overall, while this film certainly has the potential to be great, I'm still sort of hanging in the very good camp as, while I enjoyed the first half quite a bit and was by no means bored with it, it wasn't until the second half that I was truly invested into the film, in which the obsession angle went into full effect (although, I don't mean to imply that the film which came before it was unnecessary by any means). Regardless, the masterfully executed obsession angle and other charms such as some strong performances (Gyllenhaal, Downey, Ruffalo), some occasional bits of humor, and several well-executed sequences of violence makes this movie one of the most effective crime films of the 21st century.

• Jul 03, 2019

Good movie lots of suspense toward the end.

Good movie lots of suspense toward the end.