The Strain: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 13, 2018

Scary and thrilling edge of my seat vampire thriller

Scary and thrilling edge of my seat vampire thriller

• Feb 14, 2018

This was a super season. I gave this a binge during the Halloween season and loved it. Del Toro perfectly directed the pilot episode and the show manages to keep up with the initial promise throughout. If you enjoyed Del Toro's Blade 2 you will certainly enjoy this vampire mash-up.

• Nov 29, 2017

In the movie, the mysterious outbreak of an infectious and deadly virus leaves a team of doctors in the U.S state of New York in danger while investigating to find the cause of death in passengers and crew members on a Boeing 777. The Strain by bringing out the "Ancients" in form of Strigoi which have rapidly wiped out the entirety of the city, manages to portray the horrific image behind the movie. The involvement of a rare but efficient human hybrid, Mr. Quinlan who is also the son of the Master offers a ray of hope, but the fight is far from over. While the writer is credited for exploring the far-reaching effects of the Master's rise to power through a slow-building suspense of events, on the side of humans the movie exposes our ingrained selfishness which enhances his plan to manipulate and corrupt such a large population in order to fulfil his evil plan. In addition, it is difficult to explain how such a viral outbreak was contained within just the areas of New York, considering that the bigger the numbers, the stronger the Master became. The end is predictable but generally engaging as the Master is exposed and his influence shortlived, despite his effort to disguise himself. The few survivors if any, would have turned out to be fighters who have selflessly sacrificed everything in their quest to find and destroy the source to save mankind, yet one cannot underestimate the damage left behind.

• Oct 14, 2017

meh. low quality show about a topic i enjoy. kind of typical and walking dead-like. and the actress that plays nora is terrible (1 viewing)

• Sep 07, 2017

At first the series seemed weird because people didn't seem to care that people were going all..zombie vampire randomly. There's literally a scene where cars are stuck in rush hour and a random dude kills two people in front of ALL OF THE PEOPLE IN CARS and no one freaks out. Like "oh an average day in New York!". Then they got it right pretty quickly. Albeit out of the blue, the town turns into a more apocolyptic scene rather than ignorant people ignoring the glaringly obvious monster stuff going on all over them right in front of their eyes and acting like nothing is going on. So glad to say it got much better. I didn't think I would like this series but I really did enjoy it. So far Season 1 and 2 have held. I have yet to see season 3.

• Aug 27, 2017

I forced my way through Season 1 after a friend told me Season 2 was much better. Not according to RT, which has lower ratings for Season 2 from both critics and viewers. I don't know how it got such high ratings in the first place. It is slow and boring. I have fallen asleep on almost every episode. I don't care at all about the characters. They are all flat and shallow and barely one dimensional. It has no impact when anyone dies. You just don't care. I keep hoping they just kill everyone and end the agony. The story feels like something you've seen a thousand times. There are people saying it is campy or cartoonish or B Movie cool. NO, it is not. It is just BAD. It's like the B movies that no one remembers, not the B movies that became cult hits. Maybe, there is a slim chance that if it had gone the campy route of a show like Ash vs The Evil Dead (which I consider a top notch show) it might have been better. But the show takes itself too seriously and seems to think it is some diabolical masterpiece of the politics of vampire culture. It just feels flat and empty to me. How is it that so many people like this show? I will never understand the public.

• Aug 07, 2017

Such a bad show - the worst of the worst

Such a bad show - the worst of the worst

• Jul 25, 2017

Despite the slow pace,uneven character development and at times very stupid decisions. The Strain is able to entertain with great direction, visuals,creature designs and scary moments.

• Jun 18, 2017

My wife and I were interested to check out the series after a few seasons because we caught glimpses of what seemed to be a visually intriguing vampire series. While the show initially showed flashes of potential and even got us excited around Episode 10, it quickly fell to pieces down the stretch by writing each of the main characters into complete idiots in order to advance the plot. This is normally a 'death sentence' for my interest but we've decided to start Season 2 and see if it can recover from this spiral of shame. Extremely disappointed.

• May 16, 2017

Parece un licuado de aliens, vampiros y zombies. Los efectos especiales son buenos, pero la trama es aburrida, puedes adelantar los capítulos varios minutos y no pasa nada importante.