The Second Chance Reviews

• Mar 10, 2014

Desite possessing a worthy message, "Second Chance" stumbles and struggles overall as a film. It oftentimes feels distant, as if it was made with no love or care to invite anybody else in. Still, it's a somewhat harmless film, and makes for better family fare than most movies that you'll find on cable.

• Dec 04, 2013

Cliche, predictable, not credible, a pretense by which the gospel is shared. The gospel is the Good News but this movie? Not so much.

• Aug 16, 2013

It was a great movie Michael W Smith play so good in the movie he is my favorite singer and his voice is great

• Dec 07, 2012

Standard film, mediocre, nothing further, worth one watch or two.

Standard film, mediocre, nothing further, worth one watch or two.

• Nov 26, 2012

A must see again, for me.

A must see again, for me.

• Nov 01, 2012

Very good, a few almost cuss words... Very inspiring! I was thinking about it for at least a couple of days!

• Oct 25, 2012

Better than I expected. Smith is a slightly better actor than I expected (though not great) and the story tries to move beyond typical Christian fare. There's definitely heart in the film but it still needs some work.

• Aug 26, 2012

It was good but could have been better. Music was great.

It was good but could have been better. Music was great.

• Aug 21, 2012

The Second Chance delivers a complex and nuanced picture of inner city life, and the interactions between religion and society. It's not even close to preachy, and sometimes the Christianity seems like a backdrop to a story about much more universal themes. It switches effectively between powerful realism and some more symbolic elements, in the same way an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel might require one to suspend disbelief. My main problem with The Second Chance was the ending. It's out of touch with the rest of the film, and caught me off guard with its unexpected hokiness. I had enough faith in The Second Chance that I didn't expect it to cast itself overboard like it did, into realms inhabited by a much worse film, but it did. It would have been much more satisfying to see the church deal with the crisis it was presented and thrive despite it, but unfortunately the ending results in an absurd plot device being used to rescue the film from what could have been an excellent opportunity to display the church's perserverance. The early church of Christianity endured monumental struggles, so why did they deem it necessary to replace this factor with and old man sitting on the roof? Perhaps I'm being a bit too critical, for The Second Chance is still a solid movie. While hindered by the ending, it does linger for some time, and thus it achieves its objective.

• Jun 06, 2012

The movie is kind of slow. Michael W. Smith is a much better singer/musician than actor. The movie has an excellent message, but poor ending.