Hot Blood Reviews

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    May 01, 2020

Nicholas Ray's followup to Rebel Without A Cause is this curious effort about an arranged marriage and Gypsy culture. Jane Russell's as the scheming bride and Luther Adler as the Gypsy king shine. But, the plot is tissue thin and the dance sequences are oddly filmed. The camera is distant as if to hide the fact that stand-ins were doing the real dancing. Director Ray is said to have delegated the editing of the film.

• May 26, 2015

Nicholas Ray's gypsy drama is a campy delight and Jane Russell and Cornel Wilde are the perfectly campy stars.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jan 19, 2014

Silly and overblown. Jane is fiery but not believable as a gypsy for a second.

Silly and overblown. Jane is fiery but not believable as a gypsy for a second.

• Jan 02, 2011

Crap. The first dud I've seen from Ray, and it's pretty much without any merit whatsoever. Although it's only 80-odd minutes, it's painfully lethargic, and although it offers the promise of perhaps getting a glimpse into gypsy lifestyle and culture... we don't really get it. Apart from some dancing and singing and whipping. I was particularly disappointed with Ray's use of CinemaScope, which is about as bland and lifeless as you can get, with a few exceptions.