Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 01, 2019

Family friendly spin about a downhome gal who makes good in show business, with a touch of A Star Is Born thrown in as dramatic pepper. A great deal of Buffalo Bill's rodeo centers the romance.

• Feb 14, 2014

Barbara Stanwyck is a good choice for this Annie Oakley biography that charts her touring life with Buffalo Bill well, although it's clearly filmed to the style of the 1930's studio system to make it audience friendly and entertaining rather than being an ind-depth piece of drama.

• Jan 27, 2014

140127: Enjoyable old love story, chronicling the life of Annie Oakley. The very beautiful Barbara Stanwyck as Annie, made the whole movie. Chief Thunderbird, as Sitting Bull, brought some laughs. You found yourself cheering him on. Wonderful ending. 141024: Flew by.

• Dec 28, 2012

Romanticized retelling of Annie Oakley's life during her time with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, with Barbara Stanwyck as Oakley. The primary focus of this version of her life is on her romance with fellow performer Toby Walker (who was Frank Butler in real life). This was director George Stevens first western and was Stanwyck's as well. A very enjoyable film all the way around.

• Aug 27, 2012

"annie oakley" is a lot of fun, and barbara stanwyk is fantastic. but this is one of my least favorite george stevens films, as it doesn't stand out as much as his others do.

• Jul 04, 2012

stanwyck crafts another brilliant performance as the title character geo stevens 9pre WWII) directs.

• Stella D Super Reviewer
    Jun 03, 2012

this is a lot of fun if not exactly historically accurate or politically correct. authentic reproduction of buffalo bill's wild west show doesn't hurt any

• Sep 02, 2011

Light and fun, so even though not quite accurate, I enjoyed it.

Light and fun, so even though not quite accurate, I enjoyed it.

• Aug 26, 2010

I think Stanwyck had a great career, but she is very young here and just getting warmed up. I'm not crazy about it.

• Aug 03, 2010

Yech. I hated Alice Adams, and this aint much of a follow-up for Stevens. We're invited in with the pretense of getting to learn about Annie Oakley, and instead we get some half-assed love triangle story that has nothing whatsoever to do with the real story of Annie Oakley. It's just utterly pointless from start to finish. Not to mention the awful, humiliating portrayal of Sitting Bull as the quaint comic relief. I feel like I'm alone in vastly preferring Stevens' 50s work to his earlier stuff, but to hell with it. As for Annie Oakley, I'd much rather watch Altman's Buffalo Bill and the Indians, any day of the week.