Homeboy Reviews

• Oct 20, 2016

Good little story with Rourke as an alcoholic boxer with brain damage and his association with 2 very different people; pretty carnival owner Feuer and low-level wiseguy Walken. Rourke wrote the film's script under the pseudonym "Eddie Cook".

• Apr 26, 2016

Past his prime boxer hooks up with a crooked new manager and falls in love with a struggling woman running a carnival. Drama never quite delivers the knockout viewing experience for me, even with Walken.

• Jan 16, 2016

What a waste of great actors. The script and editing are junk, at times to the degree that it's nearly incompetent.

• Paris S Super Reviewer
    Sep 04, 2014

For what it's worth, the film does capture the essence of being down on your luck and wandering, and for that, I kind of like it. The plot is as simple as they come, the shots are unremarkable yet occasionally very pretty, the dialogue is trite, but the film amounts to something when it's through. There's a rare moment of brilliance here, but it's usually obscured by the amount of pretense onscreen. Should you watch? Eh. Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken have above average performances.

• Aug 03, 2014

Fully recommended if you liked #TheWrestler, and want to see Mickey Rourke as a boxer and a cowboy struggling with alcoholism. #MickeyRourke

• Aug 14, 2013

I bought this movie thinking it was going to be "Raging Bull" with Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken. And... wow... was I wrong. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish here, but... man. It just seems like such a wasted opportunity, given the acting power of the two leads. It's worth watching once, just for how over-the-top Walken's character gets in certain scenes.

• Feb 15, 2013

It has enough to keep your attention but I wouldn't put it on pause to go make a sandwich.

• Dec 11, 2012

Classic Mickey Rourke film. He plays a boxer just as well as he plays a wrestler. Kind of foreshadows his own boxing career before returning to acting and becoming a big star again with The Wrestler. The story is pretty emotional at times and it doesn't hurt to have the great Christopher Walken in this. The music and soundtrack is really good. Worth seeing multiple times.

• Jun 27, 2012

• Dec 14, 2011

Johnny Walker (Mickey Rourke) is a punch-drunk and alcoholic cowboy pugilist who gives boxing one last shot in Asbury Park, New Jersey. He meets Wesley Pendergrass (Christopher Walken), the smooth-talking hood who tries to talk Johnny into helping in the heist of a jewelry store. Johnny considers the offer but elects to enter the ring to help Ruby (Debra Feuer) and her financially troubled arcade with the prize money. He agrees to the bout despite the fact that a blow to his fractured temple bone could kill him... Never seen this Mickey Rourke vehicle before and now I know why. Most likely Rourke´s worst movie during the 80`s in my opinion. Sloppy direction, bad editing, b-movie feeling, clichés in characters, soundtrack and script. And Mickey Rourke on autopilot trying to do some modern The Hunchback of Notre-Dame... A disappointment. At times the movie doesn´t even feel like it is connected to it´s different parts. "Homeboy" is one for the shelves in the back without no doubt.