The Longest Yard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Longest Yard Reviews

½ September 11, 2016
the definitive convict football player movie
August 23, 2016
Classic American comedy-sports film.
July 13, 2016
Mean Machine! Mean Machine! Mean Machine! Mean Machine! Mean Machine!

Pretty fun movie to watch! Prison guards versus inmates in a football game! The first hour is putting the "cons" team together, and the second hour is the big game! Loved to see Burt Reynods, a young Bernadette Peters, and my favorite 007 villian Richard Kiel!

I am surprised that this was nominated for Best Film Editing, as I actually felt that it was very poorly edited. Distractingly so. But hey, that's just my opinion. So, stick THAT in your trophy case!
½ June 28, 2016
Ex football star is sent to prison and must assemble a team for the warden. Overrated 70s flick.
½ May 25, 2016
Pretty @#$%ing boring.
December 20, 2015
I like some of the aspects, but Adam Sandler's remake is better.
December 11, 2015
Was funny for a bit then I couldn't be bothered focusing let alone finishing it. I've seen the remake before this so it's not different, I know what happens.
October 4, 2015
Burt Reynolds is amazing!
September 6, 2015
As far as entertaining sports movie go they come no finer than this howling fun watch.
July 13, 2015
For a sports film, this is quite good. As a comedy movie, this is very weak. It's a feel good film, if you can ignore the very racist elements to it. I don't think it's good enough to merit 2 remakes though.
November 8, 2014
This was the movie that defined the Burt Reynolds character. Although his character's name is Paul Crewe, Burt is really just playing himself. Burt Reynolds had played football at Florida State and had wanted to play pro-football but a knee injury prevented him from playing in the pros. This movie was his chance to play football for money. Originally they had intended this movie to be filmed at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester Oklahoma but the summer they were going to film it the inmates at Big Mac decided to burn the prison down in the 1973 prison riot. So the film crew headed off to Georgia to film at the Georgia State Penitentiary at the invitation of Governor Jimmy Carter. Just think if they hadn't burned the prison at McAlester, Jimmy Carter would have never made any Hollywood contacts to fund his run for the President and the whole history of the U.S would have been different. The only reference to the Oklahoma State Penitentiary left in the movie was when they asked the Indian were he played football at and he said "Oklahoma State". Burt says, "Oklahoma State U?" and the Indian replies "Oklahoma State Prison." There are a lot of retired NFL players in the movie which help make the football scenes but it's still a sloppy looking game but then maybe it should look sloppy since this was supposed to represent semi-pro football. In the remake they moved the location to California but that looses the southern feel of the story. The basis of the movie is the southern passion for football at every level of the sport.
November 5, 2014
I film ambientati nelle carceri non sono mai stati i miei preferiti e questo si riconferma tale.
Di interessante ha sicuramente tutta la parte finale del match, girata molto bene e impreziosita da qualche chicca (quando divide lo schermo o il rallenty finale).
Per il resto la trama è abbastanza prevedibile e culmina con una lunga scazzottata, cioè la presunta partita di rugby (viene tradotta così quando in realtà è football americano)
½ November 3, 2014
What we have here is known as a set of brass knuckles.

A former professional QB who was booted from the league for supposedly throwing a game gets into trouble and locked up. The warden of the prison sees this as an opportunity for the prison guards to practice for a league they are in. The warden orders the QB to form a team to face his guards. Will the bad boy QB throw the game again or rally the prisoners past the guards?

"Only a moron could sit and watch a football game one after another."

Robert Aldrich, director of The Frisco Kid, The Killing of Sister George, The Dirty Dozen, The Flight of the Phoenix, Sodom and Gomorrah, Apache, Autumn Leaves, and The Big Knife, delivers The Longest Yard. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and relies on its interesting characters, settings, and subplots. The acting is fairly solid and the cast includes Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, Ed Lauter, Michael Conrad, and Bernadette Peters.

"You could be in here with us a long time."

I caught this off Netflix because I had never sat down and watched this in its entirety. I can tell you that it is a bit dated but the characters are still worthwhile and the plot is still fun to watch unfold. Overall, this is an entertaining film from this era that is worth watching once but may not be worth adding to your DVD collection.

"To win? I'm just talking about surviving. Who said anything about winning?"

Grade: B-
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
May 28, 2014
Time hasn't been easy on this rough film, but it's made watchable by the big game at its center.
May 20, 2014
Add this to the ever-growing list of Adam Sandler's cinematic crimes: When you say "The Longest Yard", most people will think of the travesty of a remake that he put out in 2005, instead of the original Burt Reynolds starrer. And what a gem the original is. It is the rare film that doesn't box itself into one genre: it could justifiably be classified as a comedy, drama or sports movie. Funny, moving and feel-good - under the spell of Robert Aldrich's skillful direction and Burt Reynolds' charisma, this film will be a breeze for the most jaded of watchers.
February 28, 2014
fantastic satire, though a bit slow to get to the point.
½ February 15, 2014
Nobody did Good 'Ole Boy like Burt Reynolds.
February 6, 2014
I wasn't a fan of Adam Sandler's remake of The Longest Yard, but the plot was good so to see the original version with Burt Reynolds in the lead was nothing I had to force myself to do.

The Longest Yard takes a significantly more counter-culture angle on its story than the remake and is therefore significantly more dramatic. So instead of being a ridiculously crude comedy film, it's a more real counterculture sports drama with a twist of comedy which comes out at unexpected times and lightens the mood. And when it does it proves to be quite funny, with some surprising crude jokes coming at serious times. The Longest Yard works as a serious drama and a decent comedy too by supplying surprises at many moments. Even if the humour is a bit scattershot for the film to win the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and not exactly sufficient to ensure any consistency of laughs, it's still an entertaining feature as a comedy, a drama and as a great sports film.
The atmosphere in The Longest Yard is pretty gritty. It's hard hitting in its counterculture elements which keeps the dramatic mood active. And really, the whole story feels rather allegorical. Coming from the timeframe of 1974, the same decade that films about rebelling against corrupt authority were in their heyday and the same year that the nihilistic neo-noir masterpiece Chinatown hit cinemas, The Longest Yard perfectly embodies the public's perception of authority at the time and puts it into the context of a prison where corrupt authority is essentially a given. And yet at the same time it adds a nice comedic touch to separate it from many other prison or sports drama films and make it that little more entertaining. Plus, it gives The Longest Yard the easy ability to deviate between moments of true grit and moments of light comedy which makes it a successful dramedy. The issue with this however is that the inconsistent tone may throw viewers off, and it's all a bit scattered for a film that runs for 121 minutes at a generally slow pace, and so the experience may differ today for people in 1974. If you understand its cultural context it is a better film, but even then it is a bit of a slow venture, even if it's a well crafted and strongly written one.
Luckily, the actors supply a sufficient entertaining charm to the film both comedically and dramatically.
Burt Reynolds is a great lead. He has the powerful charisma which made him a superstar in the 1970's put into his role and his passionate line delivery is both strong and charming. He manages to keep the comedy and the drama of the story on a direct course to the end, and he ensures that the entertainment value of the film has no shortcomings because of his performance in the lead role. It's great to look back on him and see him playing NFL so young, because his heyday was truly a great time for cinema. It's sad that this is no longer the case, but there is nothing sad about his performance in The Longest Yard.
James Hampton gives a determined and strong supporting role which gives the story a certain backing of support, as well as to the protagonist Paul Crewe.
Richard Kiel is also hilarious because of how he plays himself off as being a tall yet idiotic figure, and his character is too likable and perfectly executed by the man's natural comedic talent. He is one of the funniest reasons to see The Longest Yard.
Robert Tessier does a decent job himself too.

So while The Longest Yard is long, sporadically funny and dated, it's an entertaining sports film with great political subtext which is shot and directed well, as well as benefiting from the natural charm of lead Burt Reynolds.
February 5, 2014
one of my favorite movie