Night and Day Reviews

• Jul 22, 2020

Only if you pretend it isn't Porter will you have fun.

Only if you pretend it isn't Porter will you have fun.

• Aug 10, 2018

Loosely based on the so-called life and marriage life of Cole Porter with the story used as a backdrop to some of his best songs such as Under My Skin and Night and Day- hence the title. Alexis Smith plays Cole Porter's wife as Linda Lee Porter and Monty Woolley plays himself who was synonymous for the Man Who Came To Dinner.

• Apr 13, 2018

Purely fictional account of Cole Porter's life. Great music.

Purely fictional account of Cole Porter's life. Great music.

• Jun 15, 2017

As a biography of Cole Porter, it is mostly untruthful. But as a fictional musical, its historical perspectives in music are interesting. And the performances are commendable.

• Jun 15, 2016

I can assure you the pleasure is all yours. Cole Porter is a Yale graduate composer who initially struggles to get on his feet, and finds true love during his struggles; but when his career takes off, it takes off with a bang and leads to him leaving true love by the wayside. Cole will need to make some tough decisions, and if he makes the wrong ones, may regret his direction in life. "All you have to do is be amusing and don't say a word." Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, We're No Angels, Mildred Pierce, Yankee Doodle Dandee, Santa Fe, and The Sea Wolf, delivers Night and Day. The storyline for this picture is excellent and very well told. The settings, story, and acting were all perfect. The cast includes Cary Grant, Alexis Smith, Monty Woolley, Jane Wyman, and Eve Arden. "What's wrong with him?" "He probably wants to be alone. Haven't you ever wanted to be alone?" "Yeah...but with somebody." I randomly came across this Curtiz/Grant collaboration and had to DVR it. This was a brilliant picture and a very underrated addition to the genre. I loved the evolution of Grant's character and the pace of the film is perfect (as is the conclusion). I strongly recommend seeing this picture. "Don't forget to share him for Christmas." Grade: A-

• Oct 24, 2015

Warner Bros. 'biography' of composer Cole Porter is a missed opportunity, with a miscast Cary Grant as Porter and big-band singer Ginny Simms as a sort-of everywoman who seems to have performed every Cole Porter song ever written; the highlight is Mary Martin recreating her Broadway performance of "My Heart Belongs to Daddy."

• Feb 28, 2015

admittedly, I'm no musical guy, but I still enjoyed it.

admittedly, I'm no musical guy, but I still enjoyed it.

• Jan 16, 2015

This film was fantastic from start to finish....

This film was fantastic from start to finish....

• Apr 11, 2013

Night and Day is an excellent film. It is the fictionalized biography of composer Cole Porter from his days at Yale in the 1910s through the height of his success to the 1940s. Cary Grant and John Alvin give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of music and drama. Night and Day is a must see.

• Oct 07, 2012

Carey Grant seems to almost have his skills handicapped in this movie. The usal charm just does not shine through and the extremely fabricated story disjointed and shall we say straightened out a little to much.