The Merry Widow Reviews

• Oct 01, 2016

Tedious Technicolor remake of the old chestnut; the waltz is a letdown, but Gwen Verdon has a nice (unbilled) can-can dance number.

• Jun 04, 2012

Good but lacking ...

Good but lacking ...

• Sep 03, 2008

one of the best old musicals

one of the best old musicals

• Mason W Super Reviewer
    Aug 01, 2008

A good remake from the original. Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas both are very good in this movie and look great!!!

• Lanning : Super Reviewer
    May 14, 2008

That man, the one who was singing. What's his name? <p> All righty, friends, I think almost all of us would agree that musicals are a bit removed from the "real" world. Because lots of us understand this, we venture wisely in to the experience of a musical ready to deploy a healthy dose of the good old willing suspension of disbelief. And if we play our part this way, we manage, with a good musical, to get caught up in the possibility that we are watching a "real" event, despite the fact that the cast may break into song and even into dance. <p> So when we're playing our part, the last thing we need are what I will call "meta" musical lines of dialog, such as the lines I've quoted above. The conscious pointing out of the fact that people are singing and/or dancing tends to break the illusion in which we're participating. Agreed? I mean, would it have changed much to have Lana Turner simply say: "That man. What's his name?" <p> Anywho, this is not what I would call a top drawer favorite musical of mine, but it is a musical nonetheless, and for that alone: plus one star. The music is mostly beautiful music: plus one star. We get Lana Turner, and lots of her, if you know what I mean : ) Plus one star. <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0580916/"> Una Merkel</a> always makes me smile, and <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0370821/">Richard Haydn</a> is his usual idiosyncratically brilliant self: plus 1/2 star each. <p> So that's four stars so far. <p> Ah, hmmmmm, I wonder who decided to cast Fernando Lamas in this one. Yikes! Minus one star for that brilliant idea. He is not so good normally, but singing? Auwe . . . . <p> Total: three stars. For me that means average, and this is definitely a wee cut above average. So because of <b>all</b> that great Lana Turner exposure, plus 1/2 star more : )