Above and Beyond Reviews

• Mar 11, 2018

Very,very moving film. What made it so gripping was that i read about the relationship and friendship between the star of the film robert taylor and The guy he was playing-- Colonel paul Tibbetts. So the story was not just a hollywood script but the guy he was playing was telling Robert taylor what was going on in his miInd and how he felt This movie was 1952. The dropping oF the first atomic bomB in huMan history was just 7 years earlier in 1945. Tibbetts had time to think this over and be of great help to robert taylor This made quite a difference to me. This wasn't hollywood's idea of what happened but what---actually--- happened on that day. One young guy---tibbetts was only 29/30. A lot to deal with at that age----particuarly when you have a wife and kids Very sobering. As an american who has been in the service it made me very appreciative to have a guy like paul tibbetts picked to do this job---which, Unfortunately had to be done to end that war and save lives

• Dec 22, 2015

True story of WW2. The classified file been shared open and made into a movie. Robert Taylor is a Air Force Lt.Col from a fighter squadron, been handpick by a General Larry Keating to head a top secret project mission for his integrity and dedication. After landing to see his wife Eleanor Parker, he has to head to his new bomber unit. James Whitmore is the Major in charge of security of this mission. After recruiting soldiers and informing of the utmost secrecy, secret agents were deploy to test most of them. Some soldiers didn't reveal anything whereas some are big mouth. After the test is done, Robert has countless meetings with the scientist and engineers to create an atomic bomb code name Operation Silverplate. At first he is reluctant to get his wife and 2 young kids over to the base and live but he give in. Soon the pressure of the ops, conscious and secrecy is driving him mad and Eleanor also cannot take it anymore. Robert want to send the family back but she wouldn't leave without knowing what is going on. She find James but he can't reveal anything. The group discover the atom bomb must be activated at 1600 feet and the crew practise the altitude. He was promote to full Colonel. Finally the mission is a go ahead. Robert on flight told all the crew of this real mission. Out of the 4 Japanese cities, Hiroshima has the clear weather and the bomber pick it as the target and succeed. Robert is a hero and receive medal of honor. He return home and embrace Eleanor.

• May 05, 2011

Good, but could have been better. Laboriously shows all the anguish and stress Colonel Paul Tibbets went through in preparing the 509th Composite Bomb Group to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Shows not only the the effects on his military life but also his private life, as he couldn't reveal anything to his wife. Is great, from an historic perspective. But most of the human-drama scenes, especially those involving his wife, are over-dramatic. Robert Taylor is rather stiff and unrealistic as Colonel Tibbets. Eleanor Parker is irriitating as his wife. If it wasn't for the final 20-30 minutes, where the mission all comes together, this movie would have been a waste of time. But that's the point, I guess.

• Sep 11, 2009

This movie kept me interested. Rod Steward and Elanor Parker gave excellent performances. The storyline was amazing. Melvin Frank and Norman Panama did a good job directing this motion picture. This movie is a must see if you like war films.

• Sep 05, 2009

Great film...a lil slow paced but still worth a watch.

Great film...a lil slow paced but still worth a watch.

• Cindy I Super Reviewer
    Sep 01, 2009

Robert Taylor is (was) so pretty, I'll watch anything he's in. Luckily he made some decent movies over the years -- Waterloo Bridge, Rogue Cop, Camille, Johnny Eager. Above and Beyond is one of the better ones. It's the true story (I'm sure Hollywood-ized as much as they could get away with) of Col. Paul Tibbets, the pilot who flew the Enola Gay to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. This film basically gave Americans an idea of what actually was going on before and during the decision to bomb Japan. Not a war movie, but a movie about war, and in particular the "war at home." Eleamor Parker plays Tibbets' wife Lucy, who goes through hell in trying to hold her marriage together with a man who holds all sorts of secrets he's forbidden to share with her, almost to the point of divorcet. He's not allowed to tell her about the plans for Japan, so she assumes the problem must be with him or her. It's torturous for both of them. The title of the film I felt was significant for not only what the pilots were being asked to do, but also for what Tibbets was required to do -- keep secrets from his family, weeks and months away from home, pretend his marriage is no longer a priority -- going "above and beyond the call of duty" in protecting the mission. I was surprised by my reaction to the scenes where the bomb is being dropped, and the aftermath -- burning streets, flattened buildings -- seen from the sky (was that real footage or faked?). I actually teared up at the thought of what these men had to do, and what the survivors on the ground were going through, and just how horrific -- although likely necessary (the jury's still out in my mind) -- the whole thing was. Robert Taylor to me has always been under-rated. Yeah, most of his characterizations are probably just him playing himself, but doesn't Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and many others basically do the same thing? He's not a GREAT actor, but he's convinced me well enough numerous times. But even when he's bad, he's still good....yummy.

• May 02, 2009

It's okaaaaaayyyyy. Kinda slow but... whatever.

It's okaaaaaayyyyy. Kinda slow but... whatever.