Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

March 28, 2018
Anastasia throws punches, speaks out loud her mind, is sometimes moody, bully his prince and doesn't need a crown to show she is royalty.
½ March 5, 2018
Anastasia may not boast the memorable characters that earlier Disney classics have presented, but the movie is nonetheless an interesting, entertaining, and suitably charming Disney movie that is worth a viewing for any fans of the company.
½ February 25, 2018
Lame animated movie.
½ January 28, 2018
Anastasia steers clear form the original story but offers a fair film for younger viewers.
½ January 2, 2018
A cute story with great animation that still holds up, a charming cast -
though Meg Ryan is far and away the star - and a timeless soundtrack. The plot itself is a bit meh and the pacing is really quite rushed, but the character development, whilst cliched, makes this one a sweet classic.
½ December 14, 2017
This movie is beloved for its stunning animation and memorable songs, which serve as a distraction from its cliched plot, boring romantic leads, tacked-on villain, and all-around lack of originality.

I don't care that Disney owns it now, it still has all the same problems
October 26, 2017
This is beautifull animated film ever in 1997 for Don Bluth fans out there, I really love this movie so much
October 2, 2017
The sad and tragic inaccuracy of the narration in this movie could be repaid by the great acting, animation and songs could only mean that this movie is an animation gem.
September 17, 2017
Anastasia might have the premise and the voice performances to be a great movie, but it's hampered by obsolete animation, boring music, bad singing, stereotypical villain, and of course the rushed arc of the titular character, all to prove it is a cheap knockoff of the more well-done Disney animations.
½ September 7, 2017
Don Bluth has made some incredible films over the years and Anastasia is no exception. It feels like a Disney film because of memorable songs like "Journey to the Past" and "Once Upon a December". Additionally the animation is hand drawn so well it's blends perfectly with the 3D dimensional backgrounds. Storyline tells a interesting story about past Russian history. One animation film that has that Disney feeling but not made by them. Have to give 20th Century Fox credits for making a really nice film!
½ September 4, 2017
Bluth's last hurrah, designed and shot to emulate a 1950's era aesthetic, with enough goofball grandeur to spare. Historians not welcome.
August 30, 2017
Great cast, great music!
July 26, 2017
My favourite film since I can remember, know all the songs and is one if the only films I could watch a million times in one day and love it all the same x would most define toy recommend xx
July 17, 2017
A great animated film about the last surviving child of the Russian Royal Family who joins two con men to reunite with her grandmother, the Dowager Empress, while Rasputin seeks her death. Loosely based on the real facts about the assassination of the Romanov family and the Russian Revolution, it has good animation for a NON-Disney film back in the 90's. Great songs!
½ July 10, 2017
I like this film. It's beautifully animated and the story is interesting. The songs are pleasing to the ears, especially "Journey to the Past" and "Once Upon A December". Watching this movie was the first time I heard of the Grand Duchess Anastasia. I felt really bad for her and her family. Anastasia herself is a likeable character. Dimitri is also cool. The voice acting is solid with Meg Ryan, John Cusack, Christopher Lloyd and Angela Lansbury doing good jobs. However, the biggest, most distracting problem with this movie is its striking resemblance to films from Walt Disney Animation Studios. I feel that Don Bluth was trying way too hard to emulate the Disney Renaissance films, with the soft, bright animation, the pretty princess, the songs, etc. He wasn't doing his own style, especially since his own style is so unique with films like The Secret of NIMH and The Land Before Time, and I think Rasputin was a pretty weak villain. And yes, it does take a famously dark part of history and lighten it up, and I can see how people would be offended by that. But other than that I think Anastasia is an entertaining film. I don't love it as much as I did as a child and it certainly doesn't live up to the Disney classics of the 90s, but it's a decent picture.
½ June 18, 2017
Manages to be a charming little movie, nothing to write home about but a perfectly acceptable way to while away a rainy Sunday afternoon with the child, or children, in your life.
½ May 4, 2017
An enchanting Don Bluth animated film with beauty and song. It's not difficult to see why people mistake it for Disney. (First viewing - Childhood)
May 3, 2017
Although not a Disney animation film, still it seems like one with good voice actors great animation and lovely songs. Although not for very small children who might be scared by the Rasputin character, it is a delightful film to watch with the grade school crowd.
March 5, 2017
this movie is musically beautiful, and funny to the ears and eyes
March 4, 2017
Good movie, you'll probably hate it if you hate historical inaccurate movies like Pocahontas