Anastasia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anastasia Reviews

November 11, 2016
Gorgeous animation, beautiful songs, fun characters and a great voice cast make this a rare non-Disney animated win.
½ October 8, 2016
It's bad. It's really not good. I don't like Don Bluth.
½ September 19, 2016
A film that wants to be a Disney fairy tale. The 2D animation is pretty good, the 3D animation (which isn't used a whole lot, thankfully) however is sub-par. The voice acting by Meg Ryan (Anastasia), John Cusack (Dimitri), Kelsey Grammar (Vlad), and Hank Azaria (Bartok) is fantastic and they make their characters believable, likable and real. Angela Lansbury is completely wasted and doesn't sound too interested in her role, and Christopher Lloyd is way too expressive as Rasputin, Jim Cummings fares much better as Rasputin's singing voice in the song In The Dark of The Night. Speaking of which, the songs for the most part are pretty good as well. I liked the story too, although it's kind of obvious how it's all going to play out and the big climax is pretty weak. Anastasia is not the Disney Fairy tale it so badly wants to be, but it does come close at times. It's got plenty of emotion, heart, and it's plenty entertaining though out. I really liked it.
August 31, 2016
Anastasia has top-notch animation, but few ideas of its own, content to recycle ideas from the Disney films it is so obviously trying to emulate.
July 27, 2016
Anastasia has its problems including the ending which is so troublesome in its message, the villain disappointed me in the end and the middle parts were subpar and burdened with too many songs, but the movie is still so good with very memorable and well defined characters, a spectacular animation, an emotional and well crafted storyline and such a great soundtrack with many great songs including Journey to the Past and Once Upon a December which are absolutely fantastic. It succeeds as a musical, but it is also incredibly entertaining and heartwarming and it is definitely the finest effort from Don Bluth and my personal favorite of his.
July 22, 2016
Two Thumbs Up Siskel And Ebert
July 19, 2016
This attempt at being Disney takes too far a leap from history, and gets exceptionally boring once the plot becomes about whether or not she's who she says she is.
June 29, 2016
I love this film. It's beautifully animated and interesting. The voice acting is good and the songs are pleasing to the ears, especially "Journey to the Past" and "Once Upon A December". Being a kids' film, watching it was the first time I heard of the Grand Duchess Anastasia. I felt really bad for her and her family. So the film is a bit educational. Anastasia herself is a pretty likeable character. She's sarcastic, bold, headstrong, and not afraid to speak her mind. Dimitri is also cool. He reminds me of Flynn Rider from Tangled. The voice cast is also very strong. I suppose the only real problems with this movie is its striking resemblance to films from Walt Disney Animation Studios. I feel that Don Bluth was trying way too hard to be Disney and wasn't doing his own style, and I think Rasputin was a pretty weak villain. But other than that I think Anastasia is a good, entertaining film. It's not perfect, but Anastasia is a fun and delightful treat.
April 3, 2016
Underrated female protagonist. Essentially the gender opposite of Disney's Hercules but still refreshingly beautiful story.
½ March 27, 2016
Gran adaptación para cine animado. Una de las princesas más queridas de películas animadas!
February 27, 2016
An amazing movie. The animation is fantastic as well as the acting. The music is absolutely beautiful. And the story line pulls through all the way. Overall it's an excellent movie
February 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time, but the poster photo is for the wrong movie??
½ January 24, 2016
Elegantly animated, terrifically voiced (acted?), and wonderfully musical, this princess tale's familiarity is outmatched by its talent.
January 17, 2016
Garbage. The characters are uninteresting, the villain is scotch-taped onto the story, and the plot is nothing but a cheap rip-off of the Disney formula. Oh, and it runs the name of a historical figure through the mud.

Oh look, stuff from the Golden version somehow ended up here. Guess the directors weren't the only ones who just didn't care.
½ December 29, 2015
A Childhood favorite. Who needs Disney?
November 2, 2015
A film that tries and tries to seem original when it's basically a generic film. Anastasia herself felt way too much like they were trying to make her seem like she was tough and unique, when she just felt like every 90's female character at the time. She acted tough and spoke her mind when in the end of the film, she needs to be rescued by her love interest.

Meg Ryan does give a good performance as the Russian princess, but it bothers me how she didn't have an accent, especially when they're pushing the whole history of Russia and the family in our faces. Her parents had accents and she was the Russian princess for crying out loud.

Dimitri, played by John Cusack, is her love interest and they undergo what every couple did in the 90's. They can't stand each other for the first two-thirds of the film and it's unbearable. You just KNOW they're going to get together in the end, but they rub it in your face too much by making them dislike each other. The songs are pretty forgettable, except for Once Upon A December.

Good for the kids, but I'm not sure of the adults or younger adults.
October 26, 2015
Anastasia proves that after all his downfalls, Don Bluth can still make a good film
½ October 13, 2015
A animação é belíssima e cheia de cuidados - desde os desenhos até a até então recente tecnologia de inserção de elementos por computador - e o resultado é um filme divertido, ainda que a banalização de parte da história russa prejudique, sim, o filme.
½ September 28, 2015
Despite being a Disney knock-off, this movie is still thoroughly engaging.
Personally, I have an obsession with it. I love it to itty-bitty pieces, and have seen it countless times, flaws and all.
½ September 10, 2015