Rounders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rounders Reviews

½ August 12, 2017
Rounders is a perfect rainy Saturday, basic cable movie. Like a less-assured Ocean's Eleven, the drama is solid with plenty of lightness in the characters and dialogue. In the lead, Damon is meh, but he's surrounded by acting royalty giving their all (Landau, Norton, Malkovich, Turturro). Over-the-top, silly, and melodramatic, but the attitude and simple story are a full house of fun...get it? Full house?
July 26, 2017
There are better gambling movies than Rounders. It's not as charming as Maverick, not as cool as Ocean's Eleven and not as entertaining as The Sting. This movie makes it hard to root for the protagonist, and the story really doesn't draw you in until the final third. I bet this was probably more impressive in the 90s.
July 3, 2017
Like Good Will Hunting with betting.
½ June 8, 2017
When you don't know anything about Poker and you still appreciate this perfect film
March 25, 2017
One of the few movies with Matt Damon I really like. He does a great job of playing a gambler whose relationship with his friend is bringing him down. You won't like this movie unless you like Texas Holdem. One of my all time favorites.
½ March 10, 2017
Best poker movie ever made
½ February 23, 2017
"Pay him...pay that man his money".... gosh malkovich's accent was....not so chill.
February 20, 2017
A decent gambling themed.movie with fairly good performance and direction.
January 21, 2017
Fantastic movie, particularly if you like poker.
½ December 31, 2016
If you like poker, watch this.
½ November 20, 2016
The movie has an amazing cast, but it falls down due to many cliches and lack of stakes. Matt Damon does well, but the movie's plot is rather generic and Norton's character is only there to cause problems. Some side characters are just there for whatever reason, and its a standard cards movie. Watch Mississippi Grind instead.
October 23, 2016
Bolstered by a gritty atmosphere and a strong cast, "Rounders" is an entertaining yet fairly underwhelming foray into the underground of high stakes poker.
½ October 14, 2016
Edward Norton and Matt Damon explode onscreen in a deeply underrated 90s classic.
½ August 26, 2016
Ending was kind of boring. Fun to see thought process of a poker player
June 30, 2016
Good movie overall, but, I just didn't find it that exciting at times and the story line was fairly predictable.
½ May 20, 2016
"We can't run from who we are. Our destiny chooses us" Brilliant film. It's a must see in my opinion, and one of the most underrated films ever.
April 30, 2016
April 30, 2016

Orchard hill

Scott Biggerstaff
Brittany Shellenbarger
½ April 26, 2016
Melodrama about poker with silly subplots of gambling and love.
½ April 13, 2016
This movie is the reason why many people wanted to go to the World Series of Poker to stake their claim. It's a solid film with excellent actors.
March 23, 2016
Some consider 1998's "Rounders" to be "House of Games" (1987) lite, but I prefer to think of it more as a charming little thriller set in the world of high stakes poker, less of a game of cat-and-mouse and more a battle of wits. It stars a "Good Will Hunting" fresh Matt Damon as Mike McDermott, a young law student who precariously throws his tuition money away after an impossible poker match with a Russian mob leader (John Malkovich). Though normally a god of the cards immune to failure, the mishap scares him straight. In the following nine months, he attempts to earn back the money he lost by working as a garbage man. He'd probably fall apart if it weren't for Jo (Gretchen Mol), a fellow aspiring lawyer with whom he's living.
But despite his newfound decision to never undergo the risks of bluffing and gambling ever again, he is drawn back into his old habits by Les "Worm" Murphy (Edward Norton), a childhood friend and hustler recently released from prison. Being the cad that he is, Worm is still indebted to the very same man Mike lost his college money to, his incarceration coming immediately after a losing game. In danger and determined to be the financial mastermind he once was, Worm persuades Mike to start "rounding" again, derailing his tuitional plans and harming his marriage-bound romance with Jo.
Though I'm not so savvy when it comes to the world of poker, "Rounders" is, nevertheless, an entertaining drama that owes much of its appeal to its performers, who overcome the sometimes nitty gritty details of the film that slow down its momentum. Surprisingly, it is as its most underwhelming when portraying scenes of simulated poker - while I'm sure fans and incessant players of the game will find much to enjoy within them ("Rounders" has become a cult hit for such audience members), the movie is more luring when enamored with its characters, its mind games flashy but not urgent.
So it's a good thing that the screenplay, by David Levien and Brian Koppelman, takes the time to craft engaging characters to supplement all the action. Damon's Mike is a substantial main, and Norton's Worm is impeccably slimy in an endearing way, though I'll admit that Mol and Famke Janssen are wasted in stereotypical female supporting roles, and Malkovich is annoyingly hammy as the film's antagonist. But the film's noiry look (but not feel), along with its perfectly cast leading men, takes it from middling to sizzling. Just don't expect to remember it in a year's time - we have "House of Games" for that, and "Rounders" isn't as hard-driving.