Rounders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rounders Reviews

October 23, 2016
Bolstered by a gritty atmosphere and a strong cast, "Rounders" is an entertaining yet fairly underwhelming foray into the underground of high stakes poker.
½ October 14, 2016
Edward Norton and Matt Damon explode onscreen in a deeply underrated 90s classic.
½ August 26, 2016
Ending was kind of boring. Fun to see thought process of a poker player
June 30, 2016
Good movie overall, but, I just didn't find it that exciting at times and the story line was fairly predictable.
½ May 20, 2016
"We can't run from who we are. Our destiny chooses us" Brilliant film. It's a must see in my opinion, and one of the most underrated films ever.
April 30, 2016
April 30, 2016

Orchard hill

Scott Biggerstaff
Brittany Shellenbarger
½ April 26, 2016
Melodrama about poker with silly subplots of gambling and love.
½ April 13, 2016
This movie is the reason why many people wanted to go to the World Series of Poker to stake their claim. It's a solid film with excellent actors.
March 23, 2016
Some consider 1998's "Rounders" to be "House of Games" (1987) lite, but I prefer to think of it more as a charming little thriller set in the world of high stakes poker, less of a game of cat-and-mouse and more a battle of wits. It stars a "Good Will Hunting" fresh Matt Damon as Mike McDermott, a young law student who precariously throws his tuition money away after an impossible poker match with a Russian mob leader (John Malkovich). Though normally a god of the cards immune to failure, the mishap scares him straight. In the following nine months, he attempts to earn back the money he lost by working as a garbage man. He'd probably fall apart if it weren't for Jo (Gretchen Mol), a fellow aspiring lawyer with whom he's living.
But despite his newfound decision to never undergo the risks of bluffing and gambling ever again, he is drawn back into his old habits by Les "Worm" Murphy (Edward Norton), a childhood friend and hustler recently released from prison. Being the cad that he is, Worm is still indebted to the very same man Mike lost his college money to, his incarceration coming immediately after a losing game. In danger and determined to be the financial mastermind he once was, Worm persuades Mike to start "rounding" again, derailing his tuitional plans and harming his marriage-bound romance with Jo.
Though I'm not so savvy when it comes to the world of poker, "Rounders" is, nevertheless, an entertaining drama that owes much of its appeal to its performers, who overcome the sometimes nitty gritty details of the film that slow down its momentum. Surprisingly, it is as its most underwhelming when portraying scenes of simulated poker - while I'm sure fans and incessant players of the game will find much to enjoy within them ("Rounders" has become a cult hit for such audience members), the movie is more luring when enamored with its characters, its mind games flashy but not urgent.
So it's a good thing that the screenplay, by David Levien and Brian Koppelman, takes the time to craft engaging characters to supplement all the action. Damon's Mike is a substantial main, and Norton's Worm is impeccably slimy in an endearing way, though I'll admit that Mol and Famke Janssen are wasted in stereotypical female supporting roles, and Malkovich is annoyingly hammy as the film's antagonist. But the film's noiry look (but not feel), along with its perfectly cast leading men, takes it from middling to sizzling. Just don't expect to remember it in a year's time - we have "House of Games" for that, and "Rounders" isn't as hard-driving.
March 7, 2016
Entertaining, this movie would have benefited more if it did not have a classic Hollywood happy ending.
February 19, 2016
the gamblers version of the godfather
February 18, 2016
Quality movie for sure but I feel it drags at parts. Great cast though, good dialogue, and all in all a solid flick. Also I still can't get past Malkovich's awful accent.
½ February 6, 2016
Admittedly a sucker for poker movies, Rounders took a chance and made the game very personal. Damon is a solid lead that never gives up on his friend or his dream.
December 30, 2015
Now, I'm new to writing an opinion, however I am a movie fanatic and know a good film from a bad. Everyone has different movies that they can relate to, which takes us on a journey, this is one of them. It is a Texas Holdem poker film, pure and simple. I read that the reason these great actors made this film was because they were all keen poker players, this film is about poker it's as simple as that. If you watch Rounders without understanding of this psychological battle of wits, it won't make sense. I am a girl who learnt Texas Holdem 8 years ago from playing games for money with my fellas mates. Then started online which is about outwitting the manipulation of the players predictability by the room host. Trust me, for,people that understand poker, thank you for this film and by casting, Hollywood greats like Mr Damon and Mr Norton. I really enjoyed it. The ol AA, KK stand off gets the blood pumping every time!
½ December 22, 2015
It's fun to watch the poker scenes. I don't think the main story is portrayed clearly enough and could have used more effort.
December 18, 2015
actually not bad for a movie heavy in card talk that i didnt get yet was still interested in
December 17, 2015
Doesn't try and do too much. A solid performance from Damon and an overall very intriguing movie with a nice moral.
December 5, 2015
Anyone who knows me will know that I love poker. To me, it is not only a sport, but a form of art. So when I picked up 'Rounders', which is supposed to be a great representation of the Art, at JB HiFi, I had high expectations. I truly hoped that this would be a movie that would glorify dear poker in a tale of the intense world of tournament [and illegal] poker. I was not disappointed.

'Rounders' featured a star class, highlighted with captivating performances by Matt Damon (haha) and Edward Norton. I'm glad to say that the poker play was quite brilliant as well for a film; correct (and fairly complex) terminology was used, bluffing was regularly used in detail and the dangers of irresponsible and illegal gambling are brought forth.

All in all, just watch this if you like poker. POKEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
November 29, 2015
A film that gets better with each viewing.
November 27, 2015
I don't know anything about poker admittedly, but I found this to be enjoyable enough. Doubt I'll ever watch it again though unless I get some ridiculous notion in my head that I can snatch people's money over cards in Vegas.