After Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Earth Reviews

½ July 13, 2017
After earth is total garbage
July 9, 2017
Boring. Boring. Jaden Smith cannot carry a movie, and I just didn't care if he succeeded, so much did his character and performance annoy me. Will is rigid, and the script lacks humour and even logic most of the time. Nowhere near enough Kravitz.

Boring.
½ June 11, 2017
I don't think 'After Earth' is anywhere near as bad as it's Rotten Tomatoes/IMDb ratings suggest - however, it's certainly not a great film, offering nothing new or interesting to the sci-fi genre. Kitai (Jaden) is certainly too young to carry the film, and his dad, Cypher (Will) is so wooden and extremely under-utilised. There's very little action, not enough teases of the monster and nothing really happens for 90% of the movie, as it's just Jaden walking. All very predictable - not entirely rubbish, but not really worthy of another watch either.
½ May 26, 2017
the visual effects are astonishing , the sci-fy interesting and the cgi not too overwhelming. But its just flawed on so many levels ... its as if someone didn't read the script before approving it.
May 25, 2017
I loved the special effects and really enjoyed it. Jaden did well playing a stoic. If you look at Taps you will see similarities in young cadets. I like the story and Wil had a great idea using it. Some of the story seemed flat in spots, however, the action scenes and tech made it fun and entertaining to see.
½ May 9, 2017
Not as bad as critics say, sort of bad though.
½ April 21, 2017
Wow, complete and utter garbage. I've read better material on the back of a cereal box.
½ April 15, 2017
Very simple story that needed not be sci-fi. Nice takes, lots of special effects, beautiful landscapes but this is a crashed plane in wild territory while father-son connect and bond after a cruel loss. It's a teenager story. The alien that is blind and want to kill you but detects only the fear is too silly. It's so obviously a creation to test the courage of the boy.
½ April 11, 2017
Terrible acting, hard to enjoy a movie when you instantly dislike the lead character, only thing going for it was the scifi
March 25, 2017
I wanted to like this movie but... Well, it sucks: the acting sucks, the story sucks, pretty much everything but CGI sucks.
March 24, 2017
Awful movie the father and son duo just can't seem to act no matter what movie they are in. Awful writing as well
½ March 24, 2017
Solid coming of age story and probably my favorite performance from Will Smith since he actually plays a character and not himself. Jaden Smith was passable when he was scared and timid, hes still green but has time to improve on his acting.
March 18, 2017
this was just really hard to sit through. please avoid this. if you saw this, you'll know exactly why i said it was really hard to sit through.
March 11, 2017
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once the spaceship launches the story improves and the visual style has sufficient interest to carry the film by itself. OK for passing an evening.
½ March 6, 2017
...what? Oh, sorry I fell asleep just thinking about this awfulness.
March 3, 2017
I found this film entertaining and would watch it again. Thankfully it did not contain the usual box office seller genre of sex and drugs. It made a profit and yet was somewhat slated. I enjoyed it.
½ February 25, 2017
I had hoped that After Earth actually has some positives but sadly no. It is hilarious at times though, watching Smith & Son make right royal arses of themselves. But Smith senior's semi-comatose "shopping list" dialogue and Smith junior's whinny snivelling do grate on the nerves after a while. And conflating fatherhood with the domineering control of a military martinet is painful. As is watching the hapless sprog, sent out on a near suicide mission, being knocked from pillar to post by the local fauna (mind you, Top Cat & co. would prove a challenge). Bad Sci Fi can be redeemed by great special effects, alas I've seen scarier things watching Doctor Who back in the 80's. Will Smith became Won't Smith in this stinker.
½ February 21, 2017
I should be refunded for the time I lost watching it. It really cannot get any worse mostly because of the horrible acting.
February 19, 2017
An extremely bad movie. I'm talking possibly the worst of the year. Will Smith's attempt to put his son in the spotlight failed miserably. He was whining or crying the entire movie which made the audience almost side with the barbaric creatures. The movie looked decent but the less than par storyline destroyed that. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
February 19, 2017
A totally average movie that isn't a total waste of time.