After Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Earth Reviews

May 25, 2017
I loved the special effects and really enjoyed it. Jaden did well playing a stoic. If you look at Taps you will see similarities in young cadets. I like the story and Wil had a great idea using it. Some of the story seemed flat in spots, however, the action scenes and tech made it fun and entertaining to see.
½ May 9, 2017
Not as bad as critics say, sort of bad though.
½ April 21, 2017
Wow, complete and utter garbage. I've read better material on the back of a cereal box.
½ April 15, 2017
Very simple story that needed not be sci-fi. Nice takes, lots of special effects, beautiful landscapes but this is a crashed plane in wild territory while father-son connect and bond after a cruel loss. It's a teenager story. The alien that is blind and want to kill you but detects only the fear is too silly. It's so obviously a creation to test the courage of the boy.
½ April 11, 2017
Terrible acting, hard to enjoy a movie when you instantly dislike the lead character, only thing going for it was the scifi
March 25, 2017
I wanted to like this movie but... Well, it sucks: the acting sucks, the story sucks, pretty much everything but CGI sucks.
March 24, 2017
Awful movie the father and son duo just can't seem to act no matter what movie they are in. Awful writing as well
½ March 24, 2017
Solid coming of age story and probably my favorite performance from Will Smith since he actually plays a character and not himself. Jaden Smith was passable when he was scared and timid, hes still green but has time to improve on his acting.
March 18, 2017
this was just really hard to sit through. please avoid this. if you saw this, you'll know exactly why i said it was really hard to sit through.
March 11, 2017
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Once the spaceship launches the story improves and the visual style has sufficient interest to carry the film by itself. OK for passing an evening.
½ March 6, 2017
...what? Oh, sorry I fell asleep just thinking about this awfulness.
March 3, 2017
I found this film entertaining and would watch it again. Thankfully it did not contain the usual box office seller genre of sex and drugs. It made a profit and yet was somewhat slated. I enjoyed it.
½ February 25, 2017
I had hoped that After Earth actually has some positives but sadly no. It is hilarious at times though, watching Smith & Son make right royal arses of themselves. But Smith senior's semi-comatose "shopping list" dialogue and Smith junior's whinny snivelling do grate on the nerves after a while. And conflating fatherhood with the domineering control of a military martinet is painful. As is watching the hapless sprog, sent out on a near suicide mission, being knocked from pillar to post by the local fauna (mind you, Top Cat & co. would prove a challenge). Bad Sci Fi can be redeemed by great special effects, alas I've seen scarier things watching Doctor Who back in the 80's. Will Smith became Won't Smith in this stinker.
½ February 21, 2017
I should be refunded for the time I lost watching it. It really cannot get any worse mostly because of the horrible acting.
February 19, 2017
An extremely bad movie. I'm talking possibly the worst of the year. Will Smith's attempt to put his son in the spotlight failed miserably. He was whining or crying the entire movie which made the audience almost side with the barbaric creatures. The movie looked decent but the less than par storyline destroyed that. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
February 19, 2017
A totally average movie that isn't a total waste of time.
February 3, 2017
After Earth boasts visual thrills but they're ultimately let down by a poorly-written script and a cliched plot with Jaden and Will Smith never truly getting to do the father-son bonding quality time that made The Pursuit of Happyness an enjoyable biopic. It's a marginal improvement over M. Night Shyamalan's previous vehicle The Last Airbender but that doesn't mean it's a recommendation.
½ February 2, 2017
This was a guilty pleasure movie for me. The acting was horrific but something about it kept my attention.
January 30, 2017
watchable. mostly liked.
January 26, 2017
Una nave espacial ha aterrizado forzosamente en La Tierra, planeta que ha sido abandonado por los humanos y que se ha regenerado de tal forma que todas las especies constituyen al menos cierto peligro, precisamente para los humanos. En esa nave la tripulación está compuesta por Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith) y su padre Cypher (Will Smith). El padre se encuentra herido y la misión de encontrar la forma de pedir ayuda, pesara en el joven Kitai y su habilidada para sobrevivir en un ambiente tan hostil, mientras intentan retener a la Ursa, una criatura alienígena que llevabana para entrenarse junto al resto de la tripulación. La colaboración e interpretación entre los dos Smith, Jayden y Will es lo mejor de la película.