After Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Earth Reviews

January 14, 2017
Despite the critics, I enjoyed this one and thought the father & son team did a great job on this movie.
January 14, 2017
I thought it was a good movie. Maybe not the best but by far the worst.
½ December 30, 2016
It's should've better than this
December 19, 2016
Wow.. I was bored so I figured I checked this out... & somehow I became even more bored than when I started out. This movie had a potential of being something adventurous,suspenseful, & full of character growth of accomplishment... instead it was shoddy writing, poor directing, dry annoying acting, some incredibly dumb scenarios & unbelievable situations. This film was a failure & a huge waste.
November 22, 2016
After Earth is the cinematic equivalent of a neighbours dog dumping it's squidgy crap on your front lawn. Most, most unwelcome.

M. Night Shyamalan directs a wooden spoon, darting around the jungle away from late-90's-cgi monsters for reasons unclear to myself and my baffled son.

Will Smith acts at a standard that I can only describe as offensive to my soul and Jaden Smith manages to out-perform his father in this respect; In that he is worse. But by far the shoddiest thing about this film is the utterly moronic direction. A complete shambles from beginning to end.
October 23, 2016
if you cant sleep this movie is better than any prescription meds ,you will be out in minutes
October 19, 2016
Great Movie !!! The story was written & flow very well. The Smith family did an extremely excellence job.
October 6, 2016
Extremely dull, stupid, nonsensical, pretentious, and unintentionally hilarious. After Earth was a boring try hard mess with no redeemable qualities whatsoever.
½ September 28, 2016
After Earth is another disappointment from M. Night Shyamalan. The idea of Jaden and Will Smith working together is great, but the way they were being used was stupid. Great score from James Newton Howard but didn't fit in the sequences. Great ideas but a boring, stupid movie.
September 28, 2016
Just....not a good movie. Could be because although I love Will Smith, I'm not so fond of his son.
September 19, 2016
Just watch the trailer is enough to know the whole story.
½ September 15, 2016
After Earth (2013)
Starring:Will Smith and Jaiden Smith
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Review
Danger is real,fear is a choice and this movie isn't something you shouldn't choose cause it's stupid.
This film is about trying to get Jaiden Smith as a big acting star in Hollywood,no literally that's why this was made so ultimately that's what it's about. It opens with Kataki I think that's his name all I remember is that it started with a K on training and asking his commander to become a ranger. But of course doesn't because well then that would be a little bit different to movies like this and would perhaps make it more timely or memorable. They leave their planet for some reason and crash land on earth which is no longer inhabited by humans and has become very deadly. Kataki must get to the transmission on the other side of the forest on earth or something like that to return home.
This movie has will smith which means it should have no excuse to be so boring I mean him and his son Jaiden are in a supposed action movie together and it's so boring halfway through I said has anything interesting or cool happened yet? But no nothing interesting or cool did happen throughout the entire movie. Even though it does have both Will and Jaiden Smith they both have the acting range of a crumpet in this movie. They both just felt so bland in their roles it's like they were sleepwalking. It never once tries to have fun.
This movie suffers from an uninteresting plot and story that was somehow made by Will Smith and a good cast that just seems to sleepwalk in their roles with no memorable characters or moments in the film,that just makes it very boring. The special effects aren't even special this time around there just stupid. I give After Earth a one and a half out of five.
½ September 2, 2016
Muddled story with bland characters and misdirected actors. It's slow, uninteresting, and uninspired. It's too flat to be emotional, but the entire film tries to make you feel for the characters that you really couldn't care about.
½ August 29, 2016
What kind of screenplay... this isn't how writing works. This is not story. It's a karaoke mangling of the Lion King plot. I just watched Will Smith's son's birthday present. God bless them both.
½ August 20, 2016
Not even worth watching.....acting is horrible!
August 14, 2016
I guess I went into it with Low expectations like I do with most movies. I enjoyed it. It was entertaining. Of course the Acting could have been better. Jayden Smith still has a lot of room to grow. I like the reality that was created and the "futuristic outer space" accents that everyone adopted...the Smith's slipped out of every now and then. I forgot that this was an M.Night S. Directed movie. Not bad.. I would have liked to see some kind of landmark from the past to see where on Earth this took place.
½ August 2, 2016
I'd rather have jar jar binks as a roommate than watch this again
July 27, 2016
No me dormí porque había tomado un Red Bull. Jeje.

Es una película que enluta pues prometía un concepto interesante, el cual se pierde en la sensiblería de una relación familiar que no es creíble.
July 27, 2016
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still not good, After Earth is yet another misstep for director M Night Shyamalan, whose film boasts some awful dialogue and a number of plot points that are either just stupid or don't make any sense.
July 25, 2016