After Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

After Earth Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
Not even worth watching.....acting is horrible!
August 14, 2016
I guess I went into it with Low expectations like I do with most movies. I enjoyed it. It was entertaining. Of course the Acting could have been better. Jayden Smith still has a lot of room to grow. I like the reality that was created and the "futuristic outer space" accents that everyone adopted...the Smith's slipped out of every now and then. I forgot that this was an M.Night S. Directed movie. Not bad.. I would have liked to see some kind of landmark from the past to see where on Earth this took place.
½ August 2, 2016
I'd rather have jar jar binks as a roommate than watch this again
July 27, 2016
No me dormí porque había tomado un Red Bull. Jeje.

Es una película que enluta pues prometía un concepto interesante, el cual se pierde en la sensiblería de una relación familiar que no es creíble.
July 27, 2016
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still not good, After Earth is yet another misstep for director M Night Shyamalan, whose film boasts some awful dialogue and a number of plot points that are either just stupid or don't make any sense.
July 25, 2016
At least it's hilarious.
July 20, 2016
Really Really Bad !!! It Sucked !! Wish I could get my money back !! ..this is only movie that Mr Will dint throw out racist slurs .. I just Hope that hasn't taught his kid to be a racis ...but I that's dream .. The moves that kid has been in .. That sucks .. When U your cheat your kids to be a racist and bigot.. But may by its cool to black and and a racist
July 17, 2016
I don't like to make harsh reviews about child actors, so I will be harsh about the people that cast him. DO NOT put a kid that doesn't have what it takes in the main role just because he is your son, because he is just going to be humiliated.
½ July 12, 2016
A crash landing leaves teenager Kitai Raige and his Father stranded on Earth after being forced off it years after Both now have to rely on each other in order to survive
½ July 9, 2016
This is some boring sci-fi. Humans abandoned Earth when aliens that feed on fear took over. Earth has become a hostile planet for our kind, so that is exactly where Cypher Raige and his son wind up crash landing. Will Smith's roil is a total waste. Jaden Smith can't act his way out of a wet paper bag. The only character with any spunk, played by Zoe Kravitz, is dead and only appears in flashbacks and as visions. Don't waste your time.
July 1, 2016
Absolutely gorgeous. Beautifully acted, thought provoking, intelligently scripted. The critics are completely nut...I will never listen to them again. This movies was unique in its style and design...not the standard reboot of old sci fi...new and different.
July 1, 2016
Your Doing This on Purpose M. Night Shyamalan!
Will Smith and His son together is just the wrong thing to do in a movie.
I don't want to ever think on this movie because I surpassingly need to see 2 of Shyamalan's Older Films.
½ June 27, 2016
Undoubtably one of the worst movies I've seen in my life.
½ June 22, 2016
What was a pretty cool idea from M. Night Shyamalan, became Will Smith's vehicle to give his son an "I Am Legend" type film. Was supposed to convey struggle but then strong bond between father and son really got lost in translation of sci-fi action and you really can't dig your way out of it by the end. Good special effects though. Jaden Smith is definitely not on the same level of his father as far as acting talent is concerned.
½ June 18, 2016
A low 3 and a half stars but 3 and a half stars non the less, There's virtually no action but it's still gripping and the story is well told, The effects were great 90% of the time, The acting was good by Will and Jaden, Ok it would of been better if it had a better director and they used the alien plot more but still very under rated and should of got a little more praise.
June 17, 2016
why human being waste money on this kind of rubbish
June 7, 2016
Really cute father/son movie. Personally I loved the graphics, i found it suspenseful and teared up at the end. This movie is full of emotion. But what I really liked was the creative plot ideas like the oxygen packs & gadgets. The wing suit was cool too. At that time I had never heard of the so... super cool.
June 5, 2016
The second of many science fiction movies making their debut this year, ''After Earth'' brings the father son duo Will and Jaden Smith back together for a science fiction flick taking place on an Earth disfigured by 1000 years of evolution and alien intervention. Regretfully the film stands as the black sheep of the sci-fi 2013 films; a disappointment on so many levels.

''After Earth'' takes place 1000 years in the future with humans having settled on the planet Nova Prime after an attack from the S'krell alien race (Not that we learn anything else about them). The main plotline follows the developing bond between Kitai (Jaden) and his father Cypher (Will) who crash land on Earth after their ship is struck by an asteroid storm. It is soon revealed that Earth was quarantined as according to Cypher ''everything has evolved to kill humans'' and Kitai must embark alone to find the emergency beacon needed to call for rescue. The premise of After Earth had a fair amount of potential for some tense and frenetic moments but these are mostly squandered at every turn by an unshakeable senselessness that plagues the narrative. If everything on Earth has evolved to kill humans why is Kitai often not under threat? Why does Kitai sleep outside one night when his father clearly stressed that he avoids the radical temperature shifts? Why does Kitai head towards a volcanic mountain range when its ashes have been interfering with the beacon's signal? These questions among others will stick out far more than the film's one tense moment involving a chase through the inside of a mountain. The movie also shamelessly borrows from 1987's Predator in the final confrontation as the S'Krell Ursa creature closes in on Kitai; but even this is made redundant as the Ursa, for some unknown reason loses sight of Kitai completely at the last moment. The plot of After Earth as a whole is shallow and trudges along without making much coherent sense.

The previous collaboration between Will Smith and his son (The Pursuit of Happyness) turned out quite well so surely after seven years some improvement would come shining through; quite the opposite in fact as the relationship between Kitai and Cypher stands as one of the most underdeveloped and lacklustre in any science fiction movie to date. First of all the two are separated for the vast majority of the action, restricting their interactions to telecommunication, given that Kitai and Cypher are the only proper characters in the film they never get a chance to properly bond or develop. Emotions have been woefully suppressed in ''After Earth'' be it Will Smith doing little more than sitting around in the ship's wreckage, spouting clichéd militaristic dialogue or Jaden failing to provide a strong and developed lead; even moments such as Kitai's defiance of his father that showed glimmers of hope are dashed by wonky accents that seem unsure whether to speak in American or British dialect throughout the film. The underdeveloped performances go by as a missed opportunity, given the charisma Will Smith in particular has shown throughout his career.

Science fiction movies are often seen to create detailed and immersive worlds but the vision of the future produced by After Earth cannot hold up in the slightest. The colony of Nova Prime and the S'Krell alien race are given far too little time to develop other than a brief narration from Kitai and as for Earth and the creatures that inhabit it; they're fundamentally unimaginative. Most of the creatures aside from the Ursa that appears towards the end of the flick are simply enlarged versions of animals we are already accustomed to, be it carnivorous baboons or a giant eagle. The endless forests, rivers and lakes among other environments quickly blend together, not distinguishing themselves from Earth in the present. The action sequences are mostly well shot but unfortunately fail to build enough tension to justify the film's focus into themes of fear and bravery; they are often poorly placed against soulless flashback sequences as well, damaging the film's pacing. Some of the environmental vistas and creature effects are slightly enhanced by the 4K resolution used in several parts of the film but otherwise the technical and artistic aspects of ''After Earth'' are average and generic at best.

''After Earth'' ends up being a poor show all around; M Night Shyamalan has once again failed to redeem himself in the movie industry by producing a film that lacks imagination, wastes celebrity talent and endlessly contradicts itself.
½ May 27, 2016
The film tries it's best to keep you entertained, but fails to do that. The acting of Jaden Smith doesn't help it either.
May 12, 2016
Extremely lame sci fi flick