Alice, Sweet Alice (Communion) Reviews

• Oct 30, 2020

Alice, Sweet Alice is, in my eyes, a bizarrely overpraised slasher flick that found itself on the UK's dreaded ‘video nasty' list back in the 1970s. At times it seems like it wants to be about child abuse, at others it's somewhat a critique of the Catholic Church, and at times it's a straight up family drama. This mishmash of themes mean none of them get time to take hold, and while the characters are somewhat interesting, the events of the film aren't. A murder or attack will take place, then a series of boring events occur, and then another one happens. When you get down to it, its really just a typical murder mystery, complete with a twist that, when it took place, left me more deflated than anything else. Its strange that Brooke Shields' got top billing when the film we re-released in 1981, since she's in it for a grand total of about 5 minutes and leave little to no impact at all. It seems that offering a positive re-evaluation to a film simply because it was controversial when it was released has become something of a trend in recent years, but a film isn't automatically good just because some people didn't want you to see it. I can see why some people do genuinely enjoy it, but to me it was dull, disjointed and hugely anticlimactic.

• Oct 29, 2020

With excellent directing, music, and acting all around, as well as excellent practical effects, Alice, Sweet Alice is a must watch early slasher as it will surely entertain and unsettle.

• Aug 26, 2020

Woaw! Very interesting film! Surprisingly dark for it's time. The first few minutes of the film I didn't have much hope for this film at all. I could tell that it was really low budget, but then the killing started and it was pretty solid from there on. I loved the murder mystery aspect of this film, and throughout I genuinely thought that Alice was the killer, until the big plot twist came. However, it's fairly obvious that Alice is very "troubled" and there's something very VERY dark and sinister about her. Also the ending leaves you thinking if it was in fact her that killed her sister in the beginning, and perhaps the sight of that 1st murder pushed the old lady over the edge and made her become loony (because her daughter was killed on her 1st communion day as well). Anyway, final verdict: 3 and a half stars. I don't think I'd rewatch this (maybe if I'm bored I might), but I will HIGHLY recommend it!

• Aug 23, 2020

the thrill is there and the little girl (twin sister) her play is solid

the thrill is there and the little girl (twin sister) her play is solid

• Jul 16, 2020

Effective proto-slasher with some nice scares.

Effective proto-slasher with some nice scares.

• Jun 05, 2020

It’s too bad, I think there’s a lot going against this movie in the modern age. The budget, age, and tone are clearly factors as to why this movie doesn’t succeed for me. Very forgettable and little tension. You can tell how little they had to work with. The acting was pretty bad too. Doesn’t hold up to the classics. Very disappointing

• Apr 28, 2020

Marvelously decadent, gripping and surprising. Wonderfully acted (especially Mildred Clinton's unexpected star turn.) Every bit as effective as it was 40 years ago, though sadly I can tell that most jaded young film know-it-all's will likely remain unmoved by it's stately subtlety and refreshingly `off-kilter' craftsmanship. I firmly believe Argento & Carpenter themselves may have been influenced by this stylish and effective effort and even possibly learned a neat directorial trick or two from writer-director Sole's horrificific exploits. It remains a magnificent cinematic sleight-of-hand, every inch of footage easily worthy of comparison to either Bava or Hitchcock! Masterful Catholic-guilt carnage and fun! Would make a stupefyingly enjoyable double bill with either Jarmusch's PATERSON (2017), Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW (1973) or even Roeg/Cammell's PERFORMANCE (1971).

• Jun 17, 2019

It gets that extra half star because because it kept me laughing through the first half of the movie. But then it got worse. Much worse

• Mar 29, 2019

Alice, Sweet Alice is a sinister slasher style mystery that underscores the nasty side of human nature. In a film full of unflattering caracatures of base, unpleasant people, even the more virtuous are ultimately depicted as flawed and further blinded by their good intentions, and the masked, uniformed killer - a child? - is physically indistinguishible from any other student at the Catholic school. A haunting score accompanies the film's stylized, close-up heavy visuals, brutal violence, and jarring sound, which features lengthy sequences of quiet, chaos, and blood curdling screams.

• Mar 04, 2019

Una de las joyitas del cine de gà (C)nero de los setenta que más está olvidada por la crítica y público, pero que sin embargo es bastante curiosa. Una historia que te atrapa, contanda de forma algo torpona, pero que al menos sabe mantener la tensión y el misterio durante todo el metraje y con unas actuaciones que aunque son histriónicas juegan perfectamente con lo que la trama necesita. Y al mismo tiempo tambià (C)n se atreve a navegar por temáticas que podrian incluso a llegar a discusiones de cierta profundidad, lo cual no está nada mal para una película que podria ser poco más que un protoslasher para saciar a los más morbosos. Una joyita que los amantes del gà (C)nero deberían ver si o sí.