American Dreamer Reviews

• May 29, 2020

So you see its all men on the reviews. If you are a woman particularly over 50, you will remember a time when romantic novels were everywhere. Women of every age and status were scarfing them down. This trend even moved me off mysteries for a few years (his hot breath on her tender thigh, ha) This movie will make you scream with laughter while poking a light-hearted finger in the eye of the genre. I have to say it's not my favorite movie alone, my husband loves it as well and will pull out the cd and watch when he needs a laugh. I wish we could buy it digitally.

• Sep 02, 2019

Surrealistic fun. Pure 1980s RomCom. Imaginative, adventurous, exciting. To be watched a few times.

• Sep 04, 2017

Cheesey, granted, but quite fun. And... Paris!

Cheesey, granted, but quite fun. And... Paris!

• Feb 22, 2017

This is my favorite movie ever. I consider it a classic and it's a nod to the old screwball comedies of the 40's with a slightly zany broad playing the hero while the poor David Niven type stumbles after her. There really aren't enough stars I can give it.

• Jun 29, 2016

I have watched this movie over and over again, it is one of my favourites. JoBeth Williams and Tom Conti worked beautifully together as did the rest of the cast. This light-hearted mystery comedy romance is definitely not meant to be taken seriously but to enjoy.

• Oct 20, 2014

This is my all time favorite movie. Sweet and funny.

This is my all time favorite movie. Sweet and funny.

• Dec 07, 2012

I have watched this movie about 20 times. I love it. It's fantasy, but lots of fun!

• Sep 25, 2012

This is one of my favorite "hidden gems" films that most people haven't seen. I took my mother on a date to see this movie in the theaters. My mom simply laughed the entire movie. She was so taken with the film that when it eventually found its way on VHS (come on people, we're talking 1986 here) she held a "Rebecca Ryan" party at home and invited all her lady friends over to enjoy the movie with her! The script is witty, the supporting cast is classic and there are some unexpected twists that will pleasantly surprise you! This will be a difficult movie to find, but if you do -- ENJOY!!!

• Feb 07, 2011

Goofy, but I have to admit to liking this.

Goofy, but I have to admit to liking this.

• Aug 25, 2010

This is an 1984 movie and still receiving highly positive audience reviews. That in itself should say something. And the "professional Reviewers" gave it a rock bottom rarting. Check the ratings. If nothing else, it reflects the distance between the guys on the street (like me) and the movie pundits. Long live the guys on the street !