An American Rhapsody Reviews

• Dec 06, 2019

A beautiful story eloquently told. Not an easy story to tell, I think, but the movie avoids all pitfalls and compels with honesty and simplicity...kudos to the director.

• Jan 31, 2018

This is a heart wrenching and fascinating story about the importance of our history to understand our lives, in this case, a double life led in childhood and parental history that explains so much. A story of an immigrant family's journey.

• May 01, 2017

Uma história verdadeira baseada na história de vida da escritora / realizadora Eva Gardos, este filme retrata a odisséia pessoal da fuga de uma família da Hungria comunista.

• Feb 18, 2015

This movie is very thoughtful, gentle and very loving. I think it is very important to tell these stories as many people did have to leave people behind and then adapt to a new country, including people in my family.

• Sep 15, 2013

It began as a great movie but then it turned into a daughter-mother thing and I found it just soft but not powerful as I thought it would be.I just think it's a movie that you can she just for once and if you can in some way relate with the story.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Jun 30, 2013

Based on a true story, An American Rhapsody is an inspiring tale of heroism and self-sacrifice. When a Hungarian family flees to America to escape from the oppressive Communist regime the youngest daughter is separated and left behind, but years later when she is reunited with her family she feels caught between two worlds. Unfortunately, the film is poorly structured and isn't able to build any suspense or momentum. Additionally, the characters aren't developed very well, and never really connect with the audience. So while the story is quite interesting, An American Rhapsody suffers from weak filmmaking.

• Aug 24, 2012

It would take a hard shell to withstand the calculated yet undeniably skillful melodrama of "An American Rhapsody." Strongly autobiographical feature debut from established editor Eva Gardos plays the heartstrings with unapologetic precision. Nonetheless, pic needs rescuing from an often hurried and schematic plotline by pungent perfs and a vibrant sense of place. The audience award at the recent Nantucket fest and a warm response from the opening night crowd in Karlovy Vary suggest subject strikes a chord, although Stateside biz will be challenged by lack of knowledge of Hungarian political milieu and extensive subtitling of the Budapest segs.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Aug 05, 2012

Not a blockbuster, but an interesting true story family drama. The casting director of this movie sure knew talent when they saw it. All throughout the film we are blessed with many up and comings..especially Scarlett Johansson. The movie itself is made-for-tv quality, and slightly better than average.

• Apr 21, 2011

I thought it was a sweet story, and a little sad.

I thought it was a sweet story, and a little sad.

• Jan 22, 2011

The five-year-old stole the show.

The five-year-old stole the show.