Anchors Aweigh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anchors Aweigh Reviews

August 29, 2017
The charming story of two sailors who just want to bang some chicks over their long weekend but end up falling in love with a waitress who never gets a name and a woman that they make out to be a whore in order to cut away the competition.

There are two really standout dance numbers here from Gene Kelly (the dance with Jerry the Mouse and the latin lover sequence) but everything else is honestly kind of a mess. The songs are forgettable, the plot is often ridiculous (or non-existent), and Kathyrn Grayson doesn't exactly have the acting chops for a leading lady role.

I had hoped for so much more from a film starring both Sinatra and Kelly but this one sinks on arrival.
August 27, 2017
This musical movie has everything: romance, Gene Kelly's dancing, Kathryn Greyson and Frank Sinatra's singing, Jose Iturbi's awe-inspiring piano playing (complete with the Hungarian Rhapsody played by an orchestra of piano prodigies), a fun story, and adorable Dean Stockwell. Oh, and Gene Kelly dances with mouse Jerry (of Tom and Jerry fame).
½ August 19, 2017
A charming musical with two studs in Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. It did feel a little long, but is otherwise a good movie. "The Worry Song" with Jerry Mouse is a unique and delightful scene that many rightfully consider the highlight of the film. (First and only full viewing - 8/6/2011)
April 18, 2017
Anchors Aweigh keeps its two titans in their respective lanes nicely ("Kelly: dance and be charming! Sinatra: sing and be cool!...and, action!"), and it's hard not to be entertained by them. However, this is nowhere near either of their best work. An unbearably long film about sailors falling in love with the "wrong" girls, it has very little actual meat on its bones. Other than a couple of high points (Tom & Jerry cartoon, the funnier songs), this is a mostly unremarkable musical comedy.
½ November 15, 2016
Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra are sailors on leave in Hollywood. Featuring the famous dance number with Jerry the mouse of Tom & Jerry. Enjoyable!
November 15, 2016
First of 3 Frank Sinatra - Gene Kelly film outings. Great fun even if it is a bit long. On Blu-ray.
½ March 27, 2016
I found it rather boring because the plot was so thin. It is a musical but a slow moving musical. Obviously u could tell who was going to wind up with who right from the start. I did enjoy the message and the chemistry btw sinatra and kelly tho. One scene with jerry the mouse was neat. Obvi sinatra and kelly are very talented-sinatra with his voice and kelly with his tap dancing. The one female actress could also sing well in that fairytale high pitched-opera princess sort of way. I just wish the movie hadn't been so long- def could've been cut done some. Not sure why it got nominated for best picture.
½ February 27, 2016
Don't expect to get much help if you don't help yourself.

Two sailors, one a womanizer lady killer and the other a shy, sheltered young man trying to break out of his shell, take Hollywood by storm while on shore leave. The experienced sailor tries to teach the naive sailor how to scoop women; but when they both fall for the same girl, things get complicated.

"I'll bring your sadness to an end."

George Sidney, director of Bye Bye Birdie, Annie Get Your Gun, Young Bess, Viva Las Vegas, Pal Joey, The Swinger, Pepe, Show Boat, and Key to the City, delivers Anchors Aweigh. The storyline for this picture is just average but the characters, songs, and script is well done. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Dean Stockwell, Kathryn Grayson, and Pamela Britton.

"You deserve to be lonesome. Lonesome is too good for you."

This was added to Netflix with a host of other Sinatra films not too long ago and I added them all to my wish list. This was just above average and could have been better; however, I did love watching Kelly and Sinatra play off each other and the stories told and sang by Kelly were solid. I recommend seeing this once for fans of the classics.

"I don't want to join the police. I want to join the navy."

Grade: B-
½ January 23, 2016
I only remembered the animated sequence from when I was a kid and thought it would be fun to try with our kids. It was so much more and better than I remembered! The kids loved it, we loved it. The music and dancing was great. There was a great message on honesty that we could talk to our kids about. Did I say the music was great? Seeing a 20 piano musical number was pretty cool and I loved the Latin tang to it all. This is great fun for the whole family!
½ October 20, 2015
Good music, good dancing and just really entertaining. :)
½ October 19, 2015
Kind of dumb, but any movie with Gene Kelly dancing is worth watching once.
½ October 17, 2015
The romance stories aren't the best (especially for over two hours), but there are two cuties singing and dancing in sailor suits.
½ August 29, 2015
MGM's lavish, (over)long, Technicolor extravaganza is wildly uneven, talky,but sometimes delightful; the most famous sequence is undoubtedly the live action/animated "Worry Song" with Gene Kelly & Jerry the Mouse, but it's the quieter musical moments that impress, particularly the ones with SInatra singing "What Makes the Sunset?" and the Oscar-nominated "I Fall in Love Too Easily," and Kelly's Mexican hat dance with Sharon McManus. And then, there's Kathryn Grayson....
August 10, 2015
Well, ain't that a kick in the head! Admiral Albert "Al" (Bingo) Calavicci gets his start, enlisting in the navy! With Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. And Mrs. Brown from My Favorite Martian has a bit part. This film is legendary for the animated sequence with Tom & Jerry. It's a fun movie for all the hijinks going on.
½ May 30, 2015
There is a high amount of musical talent put on show here, namely Kathryn Grayson's amazingggg soprano, and Josť Iturbi performing Liszt's 'Hungarian Rhapsody No.2' with 2 dozen other young pianists! (One of my favourite piano songs). I'm quite sure they didn't use computer effects at that time, hence it's all raw and real, and a talent-dense scene! A cool surprise was seeing Gene Kelly sharing a scene with animated characters, and considering it was only 1945 then, the scene was splendid!
October 8, 2014
If you like musicals this will be right up your alley. If you don't, you might want to pass this one by.
½ May 12, 2014
It might not be a good film. But it is a fine musical movie, made with a tremendous scale and class, life and color. Quite slow, but safe by the wonderful talent of Kelly and Sinatra.
October 28, 2013
I used to kind of like Gene Kelly. But after watching some of his movies back-to-back, I can't shake the feeling that he was self-centered and narcissistic.
½ July 10, 2013
In Anchors Aweigh, two Navy men, Joseph Brady (Gene Kelly) and Clarence Doolittle (Frank Sinatra) are on leave and head for Hollywood so Joe can teach Clarence how to impress the girls, particularly movie stars. But the star they end up meeting is newcomer Susan Abbott (Kathryn Grayson), who also raises an orphaned boy named Donald (Dean Stockwell), who wants to join the Navy. Joe convinces Susan that Clarence has arranged her to perform with musician Jose Iturbi (played by himself), but Clarence, while at first enjoyed by this, starts to develop a romance with a waitress from Brooklyn (Pamela Britton).

This was the first collaboration between Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, and while it sounds like an unlikely duo, they actually work well. It's clearly shown in one of the dance numbers where the two are in sync with one another, and Frankie didn't know how to dance real well. Gene taught him, and the results are incredible. Gene also does a lot of solo dances and are pretty impressive, particularly in a dream sequence with Jerry the mouse.

I enjoyed the cast in this. Besides Kelly and Sinatra, there's Kathryn Grayson as the female lead and she can sing really well (I was the only one in the family who thought she could). Jose Iturbi is a very talented musician and several sequence show off his piano-playing talents, and these sequences are some of the best in the film.

If I enjoyed the cast, the musical talents, and the dancing choreography, then what did I not like about Anchors Aweigh? Well, for starters, it's too long. The film is two hours and 20 minutes, and the pacing is super slow, especially for a musical (which is weird cause some of the best musicals ever made, such as The Sound of Music, are much longer). Also, I was not that impressed with the songs. Aside from "The Worry Song" (the song featuring Jerry) and songs called "Susie" and "We Hate to Leave", everything else is dull, dull, dull, with the Frankie songs being the worst offenders. The redeeming part of the Frankie songs are his singing quality.

The film also has some good comedy, particularly in the "Susie" number. It was fun to see Gene Kelly playing a piano by repeatedly sitting on it.

While the pacing was slow and the majority of the songs were dull, Anchors Aweigh has a great cast, some incredible dance choreography, and some phenomenal singing talents. It's a good watch, but you'll get more out of Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain and Frank Sinatra in High Society.
½ June 23, 2013
Gene Kelly does a great job dancing with Jerry the mouse. This movie does remind me of a lot of Gene Kelly movies. He falls for a "dame," thinks he loses the dame and get her in the end. I did like the movie.