Antonia (Antonia's Line) Reviews

• May 13, 2019

Antonia's Line succeeds as a forceful, progressive and very interesting feminist film which gives us the female perspective on life so well through many interesting characters and their relationships. But, as is usual for 90s foreign Oscar winners, it's terribly paced, framed badly with too much narration and it has too many characters and stories that most do not get enough proper attention. It's thus just a solid film, but it had the potential to be so much better.

• Nov 02, 2017

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is funny, moving, and unpredictable in all the right ways.

• Jan 03, 2016

Antonia's line is indeed a true celebration of life. A well crafted film. It's a film with excellent narrative and a well-woven script. Like life, which does not resolve around one problem or one conflict or in fact one person, this film too does not hover around a conflict. Conflicts are born and they die. People are born and they die. The film is not a story of a person but of a village and a family. Like life, which would be incomplete without others (people) in your life, even this film would be incomplete without the various characters in the film and their bond with each other. Marleen Gorris has proved herself as a genius at establishing characters and their relationships. All characters have their own identity and no two characters seem similar. Moreover, the film is visually stunning and emotionally gripping. A must see!

• Mar 20, 2015

I'm sorry, but I was bored through the whole thing. Perhaps as entertainment at feminist festivals it's worth something. And don't accuse me of being a boor. I generally like foreign "intellectual" movies. Not to the point, but I just saw an hilarious French comedy with Charlotte Gainsbourg. I can certainly see why bent finger hung himself. I would have to if I had to spend eternity in that film.

• Nov 17, 2014

Brilliant introspective maternal drama with some touch of femenism and several winks to Fellini

• Feb 28, 2014

This movie focuses on the life of one woman (Antonia) and the small town in which she lives. At first I wondered how interesting this could be as a premise, but the movie delivers. Themes are robust - morality, sexuality, religion. There's also a spattering of the fantastical and philosophical. It balances beautifully between lighter and heavier moments. Humour is used effectively. Viewers become attached to the characters and their lives.

• Dec 01, 2013

Best movie I've watched in a while :) Foreign language films sure kick Hollywood's ***

• Jul 27, 2013

Enjoyable Dutch film (best foreign film Oscar winner) about a strong woman ahead of time and the community of misfits she builds around her, scoffing at tradition and sometimes religion. Celebrates life and freedom and serves as a moving paen against prejudices.

• Feb 22, 2013

Ridiculously negative attitude towards men.

Ridiculously negative attitude towards men.

• Feb 03, 2013

Another reviewer objects to the reliance on exposition in "Antonia's Line" while I wonder if he dislikes Jules et Jim, Like Water for Chocolate and Amelie for similarly relying on voiceovers for narrative thrust. When I was in college a good friend lent me her copy of Dutch Feminist classic "Antonia's Line" which tells the story of four generations of autonomous and opinionated woman and the eccentric characters they attract and inspire over the years.