The Astronaut's Wife Reviews

• Oct 08, 2018

The Astronaut's wife is a bad film- no two ways about it. The plot is basically Rosemary's baby in a science fiction template. Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron play a married couple about to have a baby when Depp, an astronaut is assigned a space mission. Something happens out there and although he returns in one shape something is amiss. The film is slow paced and doesn't really go anywhere, from what I remember. This is a film that should be considered only if nothing else interests you in the science fiction catalogue.

• Aug 13, 2018

Charlize Theron is great, but she can’t save this poorly written slow-moving screenplay.

• Jul 30, 2018

I've always enjoyed 'The Astronauts Wife', and have come back to it multiple times over the years. Sure, I can agree that its pacing is a slow build, but just like Rosemary's Baby, I found the pay-off and snails pace progression to fit the story they where trying to tell. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but there is enough here to keep me reflecting on my experience with a positive light. Charlize is great and an early Depp does a great normal man, something that has become a rarity in his career. Fans of thrillers with a human, yet sci-fi edge, check out 'The Astronaut's Wife" you might just be surprised.

• Jun 28, 2018

The Astronaut's wife is a strange film to review. It isn't a great film- heck, I don't remember much of it, but it isn't bad either. The plot is basically Rosemary's baby in a science fiction template. Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron play a married couple about to have a baby when Depp, an astronaut is assigned a space mission. Something happens out there and although he returns in one shape something is amiss. The film is slow paced and doesn't really go anywhere, from what I remember. This is a film that should be considered only if nothing else interests you in the science fiction catalogue.

• Mar 03, 2018

I'm 25 Mins In to this and I'm on RottenTomatoes because I can tell this will be a flop

• Jan 07, 2018

A rare misfire from JD. This film just doesn't happen...shame as it had a decent cast but it feels like an X-Files episode...a bad one.

• Dec 05, 2017

Suprise ending totally creepy

Suprise ending totally creepy

• Aug 31, 2017

This movie was absolutely terrible. Although it has a packed cast (which is what drew my interest) - it was just a major disappoint. The writing was terrible, it was extremely boring, and I had to try and fight to stay awake for the crappy ending that I thought might give the movie some sort of redemption (which it didn't and I wish I would have just taken the nap).

• Aug 20, 2016

So awesome I am going to watch it again tonight... And it's 2016!

So awesome I am going to watch it again tonight... And it's 2016!

• Sep 18, 2015

An interesting sort of modernized version of Rosemary's Baby... Creepy. But the seduction scene made me wonder if the director was really going for a sci-fi thriller, or if he'd written and directed for the excuse to shoot a soft-core scene with Charlize Theron and Johnnie Depp. As usual, not necessary for the film. Recently watched another movie with a body-snatched spouse, but this was a little more believable considering how PTSD does alter the personality of a person and that the astronaut retained some semblance of liveliness. Also, although Charlize struggles to terminate the life within herself, as we live in a world amidst a battle for the mind and soul, any woman considering such a thing who's seen the movie will be reminded of the callousness of the wealthy wife who made little of the decision. Add that to the justifiable anguish Charlize portrayed and yet would not stop her from her plan, and you have the very attack that would play through the mind of women considering such an action; "I'm sorry, but you'll understand..." directed to the life within her. What the moment fails to drive home is, unlike in a real-life scenario, a woman considering such a choice in anguish is not doing so because in her womb is some sort of alien monstrosity who surely threatens the existence of mankind... This movie was done quite well and had some horrifying, alien suspense, but it just slightly missed the mark for 4-star status, and thus the list of movies suitable for viewing again (mostly due to the unnecessariness in the sex scene).