Outrage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Outrage Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
Beat Takeshi's cliché yakuza rivalry story seems to be constructed around the cold-blooded killings showcased here when it should be the other way around. Did Takeshi expect a collage of killings to have any impact? After so much senseless violence, the average shanking has the impact of being poked with a spoon.
September 9, 2016
Outrage leads us back (admittedly, willingly so) into Kitano's authentic view of the yakuza world, where he contrasts its drab, makeshift offices and dark alleyways with lush hostess clubs and backroom casinos, all locations filled with danger ready to be triggered by the wrong word or miscalculation. Look hard to find the happy ending here, it's elusive.

Full review on Drama-MAX
March 11, 2016
a very well shot story of the mafia. However, the story was semi-hard to follow at times and the characters were either incredibly submissive or extremely aggressive. There were no inbetweeners or dynamics that made any of the characters very interesting except for Otomo. I would love to see an American remake of this with more "pulp fiction" like characters who can have a nice chat in the car and the story somewhat easier to follow.
February 24, 2016
Stylish, Gangster/Yakuza film that is rich in violence. Names can become confusing as there are so many, but it does a great job building tension. Beat Takeshi is a badass.
October 10, 2015
Gangster flick from Takeshi Kitano doesn't live up to his other films, but is worth watching for fans of the genre.
½ September 30, 2015
this is the Japanese underworld of yakuza -- a dog eat dog world full of deceit and backstabbing and brutal brutal violence. Falls short tho in terms of story & direction. Still worth a watch if you like gratuitous violence.
June 4, 2015
Ok first of all I'm such a huge Takeshi Kitano fan. Though I might say this is not his best film but this is one of a hell of a great film. I mean its dark and brutal mob drama that focuses the intense lives of Yakuza's god fathers to its goons. With their big time intentions of mind games. In short this is the best Yakuza drama I've seen. Though plot wise, they made a simple problem ridiculously big that end up killing each other. Other than that its a very well made Kitano film. And special mention to Kippei Shiina, he is amazing and now I'm starting to like this Mizuno guy. He is such a bad ass.
½ November 7, 2014
O que até começa por ser um filme de yakuza lançado de forma interessante aos poucos transforma-se num dominó de violência, em que uma execução sangrenta leva a outra, até perdermos a conta dos dedos que foram sendo cortados pelo caminho. A salvação de "Outrage" acaba por surgir com duas cenas extremamente sádicas - até mesmo na escala Takeshi Kitano - que funcionam bem como momentos de humor absurdo.
½ November 2, 2014
A 2010 Japanese yakuza film directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano. It competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival. Not bad, but I'll never look at a box cutter the same way again.
½ September 14, 2014
It may be just me but gangster movies like this bore me. given its done well and the story is decent with good character development but it takes forever to get any kind of excitement going in this, and just when it starts the lull after just destroys any hope this had of getting going. I had pondered watching the sequel but I am just gonna pass.
July 26, 2014
Typical Takeshi Kitano thingy.
½ June 27, 2014
I expected better from a master like Kitano. It feels like a string of extraordinarily violent outbursts and nonsensical yelling loosely tied together. Don't get me wrong! There's some good stuff in this movie! Just not enough to live up to the standards that Kitano has set in Japanese crime cinema.
½ June 27, 2014
Granted, it's pretty violent stuff -- but if you're a fan of mob movies (or Japanese cinema), this might be for you. That being said (no pun intended) it pulls no punches.

In a way, it was a first introduction for me to the work of Takeshi Kitano, and I've yet to see more from him.
June 23, 2014
One of the best mafia(yakuza) movies ever. A must watch.
May 26, 2014
Oh, shut up! What if he finds blood funny?!
May 13, 2014
Brutal scene at the dentist's.
May 13, 2014
Brutal and stylish with an outstanding performance from takeshi
May 4, 2014
One line summary: Harsh times during a clan versus clan yakuza war.

This film is about warring clans within a larger yakuza community. Mr. Chairman is the current overall leader; Ikemoto is one of his vassals. Ikemoto, however, has started an alliance with the Murase family, which deals drugs. Mr. Chairman is old school, and does not like trading in drugs. The protagonist, Otomo, is a vassal of Ikemoto, but is a sworn brother of Murase. Mr. Chairman charges Otomo with breaking this alliance by moving against Murase. Otomo is reminded rather strongly that his loyalty to Mr. Chairman should outweigh his brotherhood to Murase.

In the meantime, Detective Kataoka of the Organized Crime Unit keeps getting paid off by Otomo. Kataoka gives Otomo intelligence that keeps the police off Otomo's back.

Otomo sends an underling to let one of Murase's lieutenants cheat him out of 1 million yen. When the lieutenant arrives at Otomo offices, he sees that the Otomo group is vassal to the Ikemoto family, and begs to skip receiving the payment. Otomo's people insist. Word gets back to Murase, who phones Otomo immediately. Otomo accepts money and a finger and an apology from Murase's under boss, Kimura. The Ikemotos demand a finger from the under boss for the insult.

As one might imagine, there was a lot of hurt pride. That, coupled with mistakes by underlings, ignites an escalating set of reprisals. Alliances shift. Ikemoto wants to keep the skim of the drug money, for instance, despite all the thunder coming down from Mr. Chairman.

Otomo tries to keep his standing with Mr. Chairman sound, but it is not easy; nor is keeping his sworn brotherhood with Murase. Mr. Chairman makes it worse by demanding reprisals.

Who survives this bloodbath? Will anyone be left in place?

Cinematography: 10/10 Beautifully shot using excellent equipment.

Sound: 7/10 Moot; I read the subtitles. The background music was good, and the actors seemed to be well miked.

Acting: 8/10 All the actors were rather good. Gladly, the ones with the most screen time were the best.

Screenplay: 7/10 As a move-forward all-the-time action film, this was great. However, I could have used a bit more exposition of motivation. The film made more sense the second time I watched it, but was still a little unclear.
½ May 2, 2014
A solid film with satisfying violence and an always good Kitano.
½ March 18, 2014
There's not much in the way of plot, apart from that stupid embarrassing nonsense with the Ghanan diplomat; it's kind of just a bunch of things that happen and then a really downbeat, nihilistic ending. Kinda like Violent Cop I guess. I didn't dislike it.