A Better Place Reviews

• May 30, 2014

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

• Jan 22, 2013

Okay film, but the DVD is GREAT!!!

Okay film, but the DVD is GREAT!!!

• Jul 10, 2012

Given the budget the movie was on, this is pretty damn good. It's a great illustration of teen violence and the lone rebel being pushed off the edge.

• Apr 23, 2012

A true depiction of teen violence and the attitude to make another fall into anothers trap

• Mar 31, 2012

Having been friends with Vincent Pereira for a bit, I might be a little biased on my judgment of his film. I've tried to put that aside and be subjective, so let's hope I succeed. A Better Place isn't really the type of film you'd find in your average cinema. It's an intense and violent character study that doesn't really hold back. To me, the only thing that IS holding it back is its dialogue, at times. It's not bad, it's just hard to relate to characters who sound so similar to each other. That was my complaint with both Juno and Vulgar, but on the whole it isn't quite as bad as that. Its just that at certain moments I'm waiting for the characters to be, well, characters, with distinct personalities and ways of speaking. Maybe that's not always possible in storytelling, but I pick up on it occasionally. It doesn't affect the film too much though. I really enjoyed it on the whole and walked away from it with a nice perspective. To be succinct, it's a very solid film and definitely worth a watch.

• Tim S Super Reviewer
    Aug 30, 2011

• May 22, 2011

Pretty bleak "youth gone bad" movie. Excellent dialogue, nice 16mm photography, and an ending that will get you right in the gut (ha ha). The acting's a bit stiff, but otherwise, this is a sadly forgotten gem of '90s independent cinema.

• Apr 21, 2011

As a debut release for Vincent Pereira, A Better Place is a micro-budgeted achievement. Fans of the View Askew library or gritty coming-of-age stories should check it out.

• Nov 29, 2010

Bizarre, but well done.

Bizarre, but well done.

• Sep 13, 2010

This is one of the best movies about being an American teenager out there in my opinion, especially if you were ever transplanted to a new town. Predictable but totally fitting. If River's Edge had been directed by John Hughes it would've been this. Eion Bailey could've been a huge star between this and Fight Club, I wonder whatever happened to him.