Big Jake Reviews

• Feb 12, 2019

It'd be a big mistake to miss Big Jake.

It'd be a big mistake to miss Big Jake.

• Jan 30, 2019

Usual Duke tough guy movie though Patrick Wayne and Christopher Mitchum are passable as his sons, his youngest son is playing his grandson... Richard Boone is a decent villain but Wayne carries the film on his own with his grizzled one liners. The fights are more amusement than rock em sock em. And it's a toss up who the better sidekick is: Bruce Cabot as Sam or the indispensable dog... One of my favorite John Wayne flicks.

• Aug 20, 2018

Perhaps the greatest scene to introduce a lead character in cinematic history.

Perhaps the greatest scene to introduce a lead character in cinematic history.

• May 07, 2018

Ridiculous movie. The main hero (big jake) has terrible character, especially towards his family. One example of this is that he actually expects his estranged sons to respect him when he comes back after many years. He is also unfaithful to his wife. This would be fin except the audience is expected to be rooting for him. (And his sons end up liking Big Jake at the end of the movie--something that is supposed to be positive.) The "bad guys" are terribly written, and the plot has way too many holes. Overall a bad quality movie that is only watched for John Wayne.

• Mar 21, 2018

Another great western and another amazing performance by the legend John Wayne.

Another great western and another amazing performance by the legend John Wayne.

• Sep 18, 2017

Alternates as my #1 in my Top 10 Favourite Duke Movies. Robert Mitchum's son steals the show in this one, although Boone is Brilliantly Sinister. The Duke is @ his best here. The 1-Liners abound.

• Mar 25, 2017

One of the best westerns ever.

One of the best westerns ever.

• Jan 16, 2017

Could have used a proper conclusion with O'Hara reuniting with the child. Otherwise it without question works as a late Wayne era Western.

• Aug 21, 2016

"Big Jake" is an underrated movie. John Wayne is at his best with his son, Patrick, Richard Boone and Christopher Mitchum.

• Jan 14, 2016

Really enjoyed this. Loved the way the modern world is catching up the old west. Wayne embodies this concept. He's older and grumpy, estranged from his family, but when needed, drops everything to help them. He is tough, uncompromising, and totally in charge. I love the later Wayne westerns. Great to see his own son playing his son in this as well as the great Robert Mitchims son. Great chemistry between them. Nice scene at the station by his ex wife Maureen Ohara also. It has humour, family, great action and it's one of the most violent Wayne movies I have seen. This s seems to be a bridge to what would be Eastwoods Westerns, and a more gritty portrayal of the West which we would see later. Wayne looks like he is having fun with this character. Some really great quotable lines also in this.