Black Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Death Reviews

October 29, 2016
pretty good film, suspenseful, pagan witch type thing, but definitely not a horror!
August 5, 2016
Bleak, intelligent and highly thought-provoking, this unfairly neglected blend of medieval drama and horror should have gotten a lot more attention than it did. Full review on filmotrope. com
July 19, 2016
A grim, unfriendly masterpiece.
½ July 19, 2016
3.5/5 The third act can't match the buildup of the rest of the film, but Black Death takes a much bleaker approach than I was expecting and I was left feeling quite impressed.
½ June 5, 2016
Decent story about plague enveloped Europe and a band of mercenaries appointed by the Holy Church to find a town that is said to have not felt the lash of the black death. Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne are awesome in their roles. The fight scenes are well done, but I had a little trouble believing this small band would come through them with so few injuries.
½ April 5, 2016
Dark and violent, thats for sure. But the story comes full circle to make for a tragic and unsexpected ending. NOT FOR THE LIGHT HEARTED.
½ March 30, 2016
One of the most intriguing films of its type I've seen. It' a dark ages film that feels very true to what the dark ages were probably like. There's some fantasy elements to it, but without going into spoilers I'll just say they are subtle and probably true to the perspective people of the time had towards those sorts of things. Also, it's grim and dark and very violent with one helluva' downer ending. I'm tired of all these sanitized PG-13 middle ages pics, so it's nice to see one that really finds the darkness. It's classified as a horror film, but I don't think that's really fair. It's not so much a horror film as it is just a very dark and grim film.
The story material is also quite grim. It's main themes involve religion and faith, and challenges to ones beliefs and how we deal with those challenges. It doesn't provide any real solid answers, but it gives some intriguing questions with a lot more depth than I expected going into the movie.
The actors are all great. Sean Bean was just born to play these types of roles and he absolutely kills it, but a young Eddie Redmayne really stole the show for me. This dude is just putting his all into his role giving an Oscar caliber performance that helps elevate the whole movie. He is absolutely amazing in this thing and shows a ton of depth.
My only complaint with Black Death is unfortunately a big one, and that is that it can sometimes feel a little sloppy in how it's put together. The pacing isn't always great, and there's a lot of shaky cam work. I don't always mind shaky cam, in fact I will often advocate for it, but here it feels pointless and nauseating and makes it so we can barely see what's happening a lot of the time. Had they used a steady-cam, this would probably be a five star movie, but since they didn't I just don't feel I can give it a perfect score. Even so, it's a great movie well worth your time.
jamrcla
March 27, 2016
A very gritty well told story that starts off good but soon loses its way and gets very religous and can be allot to take in at times, Sean Bean was great even though it looked like he came straight from filming Lord Of The Rings, Overall it's a good film just didn't know how to end it without it getting weird.
March 5, 2016
Reasonably good and straight forward film. Not too complicated for me to try and follow the story
½ December 13, 2015
Black Death is a violent, sometimes barbaric movie about the insanity people fall into when a mysterious disease wipes out everything in its path. It forces you to question what you believe and value and this film did a great job of putting the characters' faith to the test.
November 8, 2015
Sean Bean dies badly, as usual. But some good dirty moodiness pervades as expected for the time period.
October 17, 2015
Set roughly ten years before your mom was born, this 1348 plague-ridden medieval horror is a good example of mixing genres to create something more unique.I mean is this really a horror? See for yourself. Six Bubonic Plague symptoms out of ten.
October 5, 2015
I was expecting a more fantasy, action/horror oriented movie but instead got something much more realistic and bleak that made it more horrifying conceptually. I think under a better director and maybe more charismatic actors this could've been a masterpiece in its genre. The concept and its story was good and solid enough, the movie needed more action and a better realization.
October 3, 2015
The year is 1348. Europe has fallen under the shadow of the Black Death. As the plague decimates all in its path, fear and superstition are rife. In this apocalyptic environment, the church is losing its grip on the people. There are rumors of a village, hidden in marshland that the plague cannot reach. There is even talk of a necromancer who leads the village and is able to bring the dead back to life.
September 22, 2015
Grim movie set around the time of the Black Death and the burning of witches. A little disappointing considering the cast.
September 21, 2015
I found this movie after poking around on the internet. I watched les Miserables (Redmayne was Marius) and Game of Thrones (Bean and Houten). I hav3e watched other period pieces about the Black Plague but nonbe as dark as this one. It not only has a decent premise and plot, it is in essence an allegory regarding what people can be made to believe especially if they lack educated hindsight. Even the monk is floored by the happenings and he and his kind were supposed to be the educated ones. Those not so well educated seek only what they are told to seek and they refuse to see things any different from their rather ossified paradigm. This is the sort of movie Hollywood could produce if it wanted to do so.
½ August 9, 2015
Mens du venter på næste årgang af Game of Thrones, kan du hygge dig med dette lille atmosfæremættede byldepestmelodrama, som både Sean Bean og Carice van Houten er med i -- foruden dette års oscarvinder Eddie Redmayne i en præstation, der er lysår bedre end hans gyselige optræden i Jupiter Ascending. Filmen er gefundenes Fressen for enhver, der tænder på korsfæstelse og partering.
July 23, 2015
A cross between Wicker Man and Lord of the Rings, Black Death packs a surprising punch and leaves the viewer thinking. [B+]
June 11, 2015
It's like the 13th warrior, but good.
½ May 20, 2015
Rewatched this today. Forgot just how absolutely brilliant it is!