Black Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Death Reviews

½ November 4, 2017
Despite the rather great cast and interesting plot topic that this movie had, it was rather disappointing. The movie simply did not have the smoothest plot, and was rather grotesque although that is to be expected in a movie about the black death. Whilst, I am not opposed to ending plot twists, the movie's ending was unsatisfying and left the viewer wanting more.
October 19, 2017
A powerful cast that matches the strength of its message against religion or any kind of blind faith.
September 28, 2017
Ambientazioni molto realistiche, personaggi verosimili, attori stupendi e trama semplice sono una combinazione perfetta per questo film che ti tiene attaccato allo schermo per tutta la sua durata.
½ September 9, 2017
Though it drags in places and logic sometimes come into play, it still delivers a solid, tragic and dark story.
½ June 25, 2017
Solid performances in a bleak, unforgiving world. Black Death had my loyalties shifting constantly, all the way up to its open-ended ending. An usual mix of religion, medieval action, and horror, Black Death works and comes highly recommended to any fans of the previous three genres.
April 5, 2017
A dull and pointless film that tries to say some interesting things about religion but ends up falling into cliche hell. What it did do right though was give a great tone for how dirty and unsanitary this time period was and the main performances were all very good. Other than that the movie was not very good
March 22, 2017
There's a lack of such films about these horrifying times of the Middle Ages, and about the Black Death particularly. This film one may not like, but it's done with great care, the decorations are beautiful and convincing, you feel as you are witnessing people of those times. And the horror part of this movie gives it way more authenticity.
December 13, 2016
This film actually keeps you interested until the third act. Sean Bean plays exactly the bruiting swordsman as expected but it's eddie redmayne who does the munk justice. The ending is kind of a mess but I expected worse from the film. See it if your a Redmayne fan-it's not scary it's just kind of creepy.
October 29, 2016
pretty good film, suspenseful, pagan witch type thing, but definitely not a horror!
August 5, 2016
Bleak, intelligent and highly thought-provoking, this unfairly neglected blend of medieval drama and horror should have gotten a lot more attention than it did. Full review on filmotrope. com
July 19, 2016
A grim, unfriendly masterpiece.
½ July 19, 2016
3.5/5 The third act can't match the buildup of the rest of the film, but Black Death takes a much bleaker approach than I was expecting and I was left feeling quite impressed.
½ June 5, 2016
Decent story about plague enveloped Europe and a band of mercenaries appointed by the Holy Church to find a town that is said to have not felt the lash of the black death. Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne are awesome in their roles. The fight scenes are well done, but I had a little trouble believing this small band would come through them with so few injuries.
½ April 5, 2016
Dark and violent, thats for sure. But the story comes full circle to make for a tragic and unsexpected ending. NOT FOR THE LIGHT HEARTED.
½ March 30, 2016
One of the most intriguing films of its type I've seen. It' a dark ages film that feels very true to what the dark ages were probably like. There's some fantasy elements to it, but without going into spoilers I'll just say they are subtle and probably true to the perspective people of the time had towards those sorts of things. Also, it's grim and dark and very violent with one helluva' downer ending. I'm tired of all these sanitized PG-13 middle ages pics, so it's nice to see one that really finds the darkness. It's classified as a horror film, but I don't think that's really fair. It's not so much a horror film as it is just a very dark and grim film.
The story material is also quite grim. It's main themes involve religion and faith, and challenges to ones beliefs and how we deal with those challenges. It doesn't provide any real solid answers, but it gives some intriguing questions with a lot more depth than I expected going into the movie.
The actors are all great. Sean Bean was just born to play these types of roles and he absolutely kills it, but a young Eddie Redmayne really stole the show for me. This dude is just putting his all into his role giving an Oscar caliber performance that helps elevate the whole movie. He is absolutely amazing in this thing and shows a ton of depth.
My only complaint with Black Death is unfortunately a big one, and that is that it can sometimes feel a little sloppy in how it's put together. The pacing isn't always great, and there's a lot of shaky cam work. I don't always mind shaky cam, in fact I will often advocate for it, but here it feels pointless and nauseating and makes it so we can barely see what's happening a lot of the time. Had they used a steady-cam, this would probably be a five star movie, but since they didn't I just don't feel I can give it a perfect score. Even so, it's a great movie well worth your time.
jamrcla
March 27, 2016
A very gritty well told story that starts off good but soon loses its way and gets very religous and can be allot to take in at times, Sean Bean was great even though it looked like he came straight from filming Lord Of The Rings, Overall it's a good film just didn't know how to end it without it getting weird.
March 5, 2016
Reasonably good and straight forward film. Not too complicated for me to try and follow the story
½ December 13, 2015
Black Death is a violent, sometimes barbaric movie about the insanity people fall into when a mysterious disease wipes out everything in its path. It forces you to question what you believe and value and this film did a great job of putting the characters' faith to the test.
November 8, 2015
Sean Bean dies badly, as usual. But some good dirty moodiness pervades as expected for the time period.
October 17, 2015
Set roughly ten years before your mom was born, this 1348 plague-ridden medieval horror is a good example of mixing genres to create something more unique.I mean is this really a horror? See for yourself. Six Bubonic Plague symptoms out of ten.