The Black Gestapo Reviews

• Dec 29, 2017

Made me feel physically sick.

Made me feel physically sick.

• Jul 14, 2016

The title is a bit misleading. This movie is about a split-up between a left-wing and a right-wing black militant group. While the left-wing group tries to help the poor, the right-wing group replaces the white gangsters.

• Jan 27, 2016

This was pretty average Blaxploitation fare, as it never quite lived up to the fantastic and eye-catching poster art, but it does feature Charles Robinson (AKA Mac from Night Court) as a particularly menacing character, so that's something you don't see every day. Rental?

• Feb 01, 2015

It has to be seen to be believed. The main Mafia boss and his shih-tzu, a militant training camp that makes 'Police Academy' look like 'Full Metal Jacket' and Phil Hoover as Vito trying to pick up a black chick are just some of the things that makes this comedy gold. It is brutal in parts, most notably someone getting their jaffas chopped off and flushed down the toilet. Terrible, I love it.

• Jan 04, 2014

It's a great grind house flick, I really hope Tarantino gives this a thought. Since the idea is thought provoking that what if blacks turned against whites or even enslaved them. Back in the 70's this would have been really offensive, but today standards the offensiveness makes this more enjoyable. It could be a much better film if this was remade. Fun film to watch.

• Sep 09, 2013

The Black Gestapo is one of the most gloriously stupid films I've ever seen. The premise alone about a black militant group modeling themselves after Nazis promises a great deal of humor, but this film takes that ridiculous premise and adds a whole bunch of stupid things into the mix such as romance, sex and nudity, plenty of action scenes, hilariously bad dialogue, gangsters, drugs, back-stabbing, and so much more. This film made me fall in love with it in the same way films like Escape From L.A. and Doomsday by being gloriously idiotic and embracing its campyness to the fullest degree. It's pure, nonstop fun that will have you laughing, saying "What the fuck?" constantly, and feeling a sense of joy from watching so much stupidity unfold. The Black Gestapo is beyond any doubt one of the greatest so bad it's good films I've ever seen.

• May 29, 2013

(9%) A dire blaxploitation movie that's so badly made and boring that is should have stayed in the vaults of a run-down grindhouse cinema for ever more and never seen the light of day again. Nothing to see here besides the sleazy trailer.

• Apr 26, 2013

Not bad premise only so poorly acted that it is nearly unwatchable.

Not bad premise only so poorly acted that it is nearly unwatchable.

• Oct 27, 2012

Blaxploitation action sees a splinter group from the peaceful helpers of the disadvantaged People's Army turn violent to oust a white crime syndicate only to exploit the same people. Attempts to make connections to the Nazi Gestapo are weak.

• Sep 21, 2012

The Black Gestapo is a painful film to sit through because of its awkward pacing, relentless 70s music, and its uncomfortable storyline. In spite of all that, though, I was able to get a little enjoyment out of the film's fight scenes (which are surprisingly well done) and some competent acting. Still, the blaxploitation genre is a little uncomfortable to watch. I cannot say that I recommend anyone say this movie. But, it is⦠interesting. It may be garbage, but it is at least fascinating garbage. The Black Gestapo stars Rod Perry as General Ahmed, a man who starts an inner-city army to protect and avenge the wronged black and female citizens of the city of Watts. There is quite a bit of violence and nudity in this picture, and if that does not bother my esteemed reader, then this film should be a breeze. There is not much more to this film than that. Like I said before, the fight scenes in this film are quite well done. In fact, I would go on to say that they are borderline fun to watch. They are well-choreographed, real-looking, and occasionally a tad thrilling. There is also a lot of stunt work in this film that I found to be well done. This was a pleasant surprise, considering the alarmingly low production values in this picture. The film itself is just not pleasant to look at⦠which is a major downside to the picture. Overall, the film is not worth watching. Sitting through the ninety minute run-time feels like a chore, partly because the pacing is ridiculously and painfully inconsistent, and partly because the storyline is just not engaging enough to keep us entertained. Yes, the fight scenes are pretty fun, but Iâ(TM)m sure a curious viewer could find clips of them on youtube.