Breaking Upwards Reviews

• Jun 17, 2013

such a cute movie and so funny. I loved it. Zoe Lister-Jones and Daryl Wein are brilliant.

• Feb 13, 2013

i don't know why y'all are hating on this movie, it was actually pretty good. the ending was a little bothersome but all in all i would recommend this. definitely better than most chick flicks.

• Oct 26, 2012

a believable snapshot of a modern, young, city-dwelling couple trying to help themselves get out of their routine, and working out their issues on independence and intimacy. watch out for the moms in this one :) i l liked how zoe's mom mentioned the guys on the jewish dating website were all octogenarians, and how daryl's mom played PI to suss out what was going on in zoe's life...

• Aug 25, 2012

Funny, original, and resonating.

Funny, original, and resonating.

• Aug 10, 2012

there were genuinely funny moments. i enjoyed more than disliked it but the couple did get kinda irritating with their antics, zoe lister being more so. francis benhamou (zoe lister jone's good friend in real-life too) from Arranged, has a cameo role here. this was a fifteen thousand (US) dollars effort, very commendable!

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jun 11, 2012

A couple who are bored with their relationship incrementally break up. <i>Breaking Upwards</i> is a charming, realistic depiction of a couple who are right for each other even though it feels wrong. Strong performances by director/editor/co-writer Daryl Wein and co-writer Zoe Lister Jones carry the film, which has a wry wit and some smart dialogue. And the last shot is truly heart-breaking. There were few things about the film that I didn't like, but they were so essential to the story that they were impossible to ignore. At the beginning, the stated reason for their break up is that they're both "bored." I recall David Thewlis's monologue from Mike Leigh's <i>Naked</i> in which he rants against people who are bored despite having untold possibilities for engagement: "You have the universe explained to you, and you're bored with it," he says disdainfully. Equally, I recall a former teacher telling me, "If students say they're bored, then they're boring people." I have little patience for characters and real people telling me they're bored, so I was hoping that during the increments of the break-up, past issues would crop up so that we can understand that there is a deeper reason for their split. Most people in their early twenties haven't been hurt enough to deserve ennui. Also, while on their days off, Daryl and Zoe have no shortage of other suitors. In the construction of the film's plot, this seems like an easy way out. Most often, the choices in real life aren't between a semi-fulfilling relationship and attention from new, flawed suitors (flawed certainly in Zoe's case, but not so much in Daryl's); the choices in real life are between a semi-fulfilling relationship and loneliness, which is a condition that motivates people much more than the lack of fulfillment one finds from fucking one's co-star in a bad off-Broadway play. I wanted to see these characters more vulnerable without each other, which would have made the ending of their relationship so much harder to stomach. Overall, there is a lot to like about <i>Breaking Upwards</i>, and during all of my future (and one of my past) failed relationships, I'm going to use the phrase "Let's not break up; let's break upwards," but as a film, this indie comedy falls into the trapping tropes that most films of its ilk fall into, making it good enough to make me wish it were so much better.

• Alice S Super Reviewer
    Mar 24, 2012

I think I was in my own transitional, break-up period when I first saw this movie about a stagnant couple that orchestrates an incremental break-up - spending less and less time with each other to cushion the emotional blow - so I really identified with the dragged out "break up that lasts longer than the relationship" heartbreak. Upon rewatch though, I found the movie lacking in establishing shots; there's no room to breathe between each quirky little on-day and off-day conflict. The emotions are still real, and the final break-up and goodbye scenes are still brutal and bittersweet, respectively. Daryl Wein and Zoe Lister-Jones have easy, soul-connected chemistry - smartly deriving this movie from a real-life experiment - but their fictional counterparts could have used more grounded reasons for getting together and breaking up. I wonder if they are still on-again-off-again now that Zoe has gotten more mainstream famous.

• Feb 24, 2012

A likeable film and an interesting look at a long term relationship, enjoyed the soundtrack too.

• Feb 24, 2012

Fun, but get's a little to confusing by the end.

Fun, but get's a little to confusing by the end.

• Jul 20, 2011

Boring and self-involved, much like its creators.

Boring and self-involved, much like its creators.